Motherboard or graphic card,

alycanjg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I just found the site, through countless researching my problem, will cross fingers and hope you guys/gals can help me. I am nuts... :pt1cable:

I have a old Gateway GT5056, it came with Nvidia 6100 integrated graphics. About a year and half ago the 3D died, I could no longer do any gaming. The computer was under warranty still so took it back to Best Buy. The geeksquad was pretty cool the guy said he would just upgrade for me since it is under warranty and he put in a Nvidia 7300 GS. I was like cool. The past year+ all has seemed well. I updated the drivers always from Nvidia, put in the 7300 in their search. Soooo now the fun,

About a month ago the 3D has died, It seems the same as before. I installed a few different programs, Nvidia hardware verify, Speccy, even msconfig all show the Nvidia 6100 as the graphic, the 7300 he put in is not listed anywhere on the computer at all?

I tried several methods I found online of how to disable/unistall the 6100 from the device manager, have unistalled the drivers, went into BIOS and didn't see a disable onboard video option. The closest was "Init Display First PCIEx is enabled. I plugged into working vga port, shutdown, took out the 7300, restarted , shutdown again, reinstalled 7300, plugged monitor into the cards port, rebooted and black screen. I switched over to the computer's vga and there is the hardware wizard wanting to install the 6100 it found,,, :bounce:

I don't have another computer to test the card on, so do you think it is the card?, or the motherboard's pcie's slot? I am not a computer expert by any stretch but if the motherboard was bad would I still be able to do everything except the 3D gaming etc.. If maybe it's the PCIEx slot can I just replace that or what?

I do appreciate any and all help in this matter,,,

Jim :hello:

alycanjg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
thx for the reply, I don't have another card to try, I am gonna see if Staples or somewhere can just test it for me, if the card checks out can just that pcie slot be bad and can I replace just that part or do I have to the entire mb?