Jul 2, 2011
Dear All

My tech specs are as follows:

PSU: OCZ 700w MXSP
Mboard: MSI MS-7246
CPU: Can't remember exectly, but it is an intel dual core of around 3.00 ghz
Ram: Crucial 1GB 128x64 DDR2 (x4)
Gpu: Evga Geforce Gtx580

I had been facing problems with overheating with me previous graphics card which became permanently damaged. I now bought a new graphics card, named above.

I just installed my new graphics card, and the system turns on and then gets stuck at the main MSI screen. I can't do anything here. I can't got to the boot menu. The only thing I can do is hit Ctrl+alt+del to restart the computer and get stuck at the screen again.

I've been through so many forums that say check the ram, remove the watch battery looking thing, etc. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge on what some pc parts are called, but does not make me love pcs any less. So I've pulling my computer apart and reassembling it almost all day and it is really frustrating... :( I just want to play some startcraft and enjoy how my new card runs.

So the only thing I haven't tried, mainly because I have not had the time is dealing with additional power cables. Is it possible what is causing this problem is the powering of the graphics card? The card has two inpus. an 8-pin and a 6-pin. The 8-pin is routed from two 6pins from the pci-e parts of my psu and the 6pin is routed from those old inputs, the ones with the four spikes?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I understand if you want me to clarify some things.

looking forward to your responses.

Thanks

HammadiB

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

Hey scout_03

Many thanks for your response.

From what I have been reading, you add the the 12v rails together for the amperage? so the amperage equals 50 amps?

Correct me if I am wrong.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks

Ahmed

HammadiB

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011

Hey scout_03

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Yes, I have tried this. I have a 6 pin and 8 (6+2) pin (http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#pciexpress6plus2) going directly from my power supply (pcie section) to my card.

doolali

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
i had a similar problem, try disconnecting any additional drives that arnt your main hard drive, in my problem a failed drive was preventing anything from happening

HammadiB

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hey doolali

Thanks for your response.

I'm pretty sure it is not my current HDD. The things is, when I stick in my old card, everything boots up fine.

It is only this new card that hangs on the mobo screen. I would think that if it was my powersupply there would be a black screen or the card wouldn't power up at all because there wasn't enough juice.

Could it be something with my pci slot?

Thanks

Ahmed

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Upgrade you BIOS. That should solve most of your problems, If it doesn't, it could be a fault with the card. Also, the card may be a revision higher than the boards PCI-x (i.e. board is V2.0, card is v. 2.1) That is doubtful, usually the card would "dumb" down but, who knows. Either you need to update your BIOS or the Card is bad. Unsupported BIOS may occasionally get the BIOS splash up but at VRAM test, it won't continue. Maybe go into the BIOS and disable the splash screen to see post, do this while the old card is in.

Let us know how it goes! Hope it's useful.

TRENDING THREADS