Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Various issues with new build

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2011 3:23:55 PM

Hello all. I hope this is the right location for this kind of thread, but I'm not positive, I apologize if I posted in the wrong area.

I recently built myself a new computer using these components:

* Antec 300 Med-case
* GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 Motherboard
* Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
* G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
* HIS Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Video Card
* WD Caviar Blue HDD 7200 RPM 6GB/s
* WD Caviar Black HDD 7200 RPM 6GB/s
* Corsair 750W Power Supply

I installed Windows 7 Pro OEM on it, and everything went fine. All drivers installed OK, and I had no issues getting games installed and running perfectly soon after setup.

The problems started a couple of weeks ago, when I started getting various RAM related BSOD crashes. I removed the RAM, clean the gold connectors, and blew some air on the inserts, and that seemed to stop the BSOD errors.

Some time after, when I started up my computer, I got a black screen with just the mouse cursor visible. Only way to fix it was to turn the computer off, and then turn it on again. The black screen issue only shows up once in every maybe 10 boots, but it's still a problem. forgot to add, once it started up and showed grey instead.

Another issue is that sometimes when I start my computer, applications will take a LONG time to even start to load (30 seconds before Photoshop even shows the loading screen) and things just seem slow. Sometimes applications will just stutter for no reason, or Windows will hang at the slightest multitasking. A restart fixes this, but it shouldn't happen at all.

Occassionally when shutting down, Windows will show the "Shutting Down" screen, and just hang there. I've waited 10 minutes or so to see if it will finish but it doesn't.

I am not seeing anything unusual in my Task Manager. My normal applications are "Panda 2012 Global Protection", and a browser. Nothing auto loads on startup except Panda. I am not using Aero, I use the Win7 Basic Theme because it is very snappy and clean. My computer runs games perfectly, and I get excellent performance on high/max settings in SC2, FEAR1/2, CoD4, Rise of Flight, Crysis, and other games.

Any idea what's going on here? The biggest issue is the sketchy performance on some bootups, requireing a restart, and the issues with shutting down. I know this might be a Windows 7 issue, but I really don't know, which is why I'm here!

Many thanks for whatever help you folks can provide. :D 

-Alex

More about : issues build

July 2, 2011 4:23:46 PM

That's 1.5V RAM or 1.6, 1.65? If it's 1.6 or 1.65V you need to manually set the memory voltage in the BIOS accordingly.

Try with one stick of RAM at a time, maybe one stick is bad.
Related resources
July 2, 2011 7:36:31 PM

I said I hadn't had any BSOD errors for a while, but today I had one while playing Bad Company 2. This was the error, I can't remember the exact number of zeros, I wrote it down quickly.

"Uncorrectable Hardware Error"

0x00000124
0x0-------, 0XFFFFFA8 0078A0028, 0X0---------BF80--------, 0X0--------20--------1

Reading about this error, it seems to be fixed mostly by replacing either the CPU or motherboard. Also Windows created a dump file for the error, but I don't know how to open it, or what to do with it.

EDIT: Got the same error playing Bad Company 2 again today. I think it might be CPU related, as the temp when playing BC2 goes beyond the max temp experienced when doing the RealTemp torture test. After being at that max temp for a while, it BSODs. I am looking into a good CPU cooler.

I removed one stick of RAM, and have experinced no issues yet. It's stable most of the time anyway, but I'll have to wait and see.
July 4, 2011 4:20:23 AM

Any ideas guys? I removed one stick of RAM, and I've gotten one "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" BSOD, but only once, and it hasn't happened anymore. If I play BFBC2 for more than about 20 minutes, the temp on my CPU rises higher than most other games, and it BSODs with the 0x00000124 error.

I haven't had any problems with sluggish app startup yet, but it remains to be seen what will happen over time.

Best solution

July 4, 2011 1:04:15 PM

That's a rare thing, I don't know what it could be. What are your temperatures and voltages?

Try asking in here

http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu46.html
July 4, 2011 3:07:42 PM

CPU temp in all 4 cores rises to about 70c just loading maps in BFBC2. What voltages do you mean? The CPU? How would I check that?

I will post this thread and details in that forum. Thanks.
July 5, 2011 9:38:58 AM

I managed to find a solution to my problem. My RAM related BSODs were separate from my 0x124 BSOD from BFBC2. The problem was a program that was installed with my mobo drivers called "EasyTune6". I removed that, and all is well. :D  Computer has been running perfect so far.
July 5, 2011 8:56:41 PM

Best answer selected by DrInfested.
!