Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to position power supply

Last response: in Components
September 28, 2011 3:33:31 PM

Is this ok to do? I have a Haf 912 and Antec TP-750 Truepower 750 watt. The PSU is in the bottom and l have the PSU fan facing down as l don't want fan exhausting onto the sound card right next to it. I have the Haf 912 standing on wood not carpet. I am hoping this will not reduce the PSU's life span. Thanks for your help in advance.

More about : position power supply

a c 243 ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 4:32:04 PM

The fan on the psu is an intake, draws air into the psu and exhausts it out the back.
Your case has a vent in the bottom to allow for better airflow, and with the fan in the down position your psu is out of the case cooling equation.
You can install it either way, it's a preference thing, not something set in stone.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 6:06:45 PM

The fan on the psu doesn't exhaust, it's an intake fan. You want the fan facing up.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2011 6:08:39 PM

Ok thanks for the help, when l clean up the wiring inside l think l might put it in the down position to maximize the cold air intake for the psu, will see how that affects the wiring. Thanks much appreciated.
m
l
September 28, 2011 6:13:12 PM

Smiles, l have the fan in the right position for air intake for the psu. Thanks.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 28, 2011 6:21:51 PM

geek, wouldn't it be better to draw air from the outside of the case instead of from the GPU-heated inside (with the fan facing up)?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 5:26:52 PM

kajabla said:
geek, wouldn't it be better to draw air from the outside of the case instead of from the GPU-heated inside (with the fan facing up)?

Ummm....no.

Your suggesting drawing fresh air into the psu from outside the case and pusing it right back out the back of the psu, that would make no sense. That would be great for cooling your psu though. lol

You want to draw hot air from inside the pc, out the back of the power supply and out of the case. The fresh cool air comes from your intake fans and the front of the case. This cycle is what keeps the entire pc cool.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 6:42:59 PM

You can install it either way, it's a preference thing, not something set in stone.

Let me make that a little more clear for both noobs and dinosaurs;
With the amount of fans that can be installed in modern cases ( such as the High Air Flow 912 ) the psu is no longer a neccessary part of the case cooling equation, you can choose to use it as such if you desire, but once again, it's a preference thing.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2011 4:27:18 PM

That makes no sense, it IS set in stone.

You do not want to bring in air from the back of your pc, throught your psu, and into your case. You want it the other way around like it was designed.

If psu manufacturers wanted your psu to intake air, they would design it to bring in air from the back, they don't, they design it to exhaust air out the back.
m
l

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
September 30, 2011 5:00:43 PM

geekapproved said:
That makes no sense, it IS set in stone.

You do not want to bring in air from the back of your pc, throught your psu, and into your case. You want it the other way around like it was designed.

If psu manufacturers wanted your psu to intake air, they would design it to bring in air from the back, they don't, they design it to exhaust air out the back.

Maybe the diagram here will help clear things up for you
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259359-28-need-airflo...
Can you see that the psu is not bringing air into the case but rather supplying the psu with fresh air from beneath the case and exhausting it out the back ?

Not designed to bring air in from the back, oh no
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/dscf0056t.jpg/...

Just because the ATX spec from years ago included the psu as part of the system cooling doesn't mean it's set in stone.
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2011 5:37:53 PM

i prefer to have my PSU fan up, when installed on the bottom. Having the option to install it both fan side up and fan side down, I find the PSU fan actually makes less noise fan side up. I keep the PC on a desk so the bottom is not blocked by a shaggy carpet, etc.,

dust is not an issue as I have a filter on the bottom and a detachable magnet air filter that can go over the PSU fan if installed fan side up.

as usual, Delluser1 is correct, it's simply a preference thing.
m
l
October 12, 2011 3:45:19 PM

Best answer selected by jewals11.
m
l
!