Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Am I tripping? PC games in HD but PS3 games are not?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • PlayStation
  • Games
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 19, 2011 6:58:54 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or forum but I trust the toms community. So I recently bought a new 23 inch Full 1080p HD monitor since my old one broke. I have hooked up my ps3 and my computer to the same monitor and everything looks fantastic while surfing the internet or looking thru PSN and I'm sure is in full 1080p hd. When I play my ps3 games tho, the graphics looked smoother on my old @$$ 19 inch tv ((CRT?) its a "classic" tv box look) than on my HD monitor, like as if anti-aliasing was on 0 or negative and seems a little stretched even though right on the box it says 1080p support. While the other benefit would but that everything is a lot easier to read, a LOT. Again this is only while playing games on my ps3, the Pc is fine and looks awesome. Games that I have tried (Crysis 2, MGS4, Fight Night Champion, Dead Space2)

p.s. i tried watching the only blu ray i got (inception) and theres some film grain, is that the movie or the ps3?

More about : tripping games ps3 games

Best solution

April 19, 2011 7:11:23 PM

kratom420 said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section or forum but I trust the toms community. So I recently bought a new 23 inch Full 1080p HD monitor since my old one broke. I have hooked up my ps3 and my computer to the same monitor and everything looks fantastic while surfing the internet or looking thru PSN and I'm sure is in full 1080p hd. When I play my ps3 games tho, the graphics looked smoother on my old @$$ 19 inch tv ((CRT?) its a "classic" tv box look) than on my HD monitor, like as if anti-aliasing was on 0 or negative and seems a little stretched even though right on the box it says 1080p support. While the other benefit would but that everything is a lot easier to read, a LOT. Again this is only while playing games on my ps3, the Pc is fine and looks awesome. Games that I have tried (Crysis 2, MGS4, Fight Night Champion, Dead Space2)

p.s. i tried watching the only blu ray i got (inception) and theres some film grain, is that the movie or the ps3?

If you feel that the image looks stretched on the ps3, it's because it is. Almost all ps3 games are 720p, upscaled to 1080p. So just because you're ps3 is in 1080p mode, with a "1080p" game means nothing, most games are 1080p, but not they're 720p native. This upscaling from 720p to 1080p is what causes the stretching, and if your ps3 games look "better/smoother" on the older and SMALLER monitor, it is because there is much less stretching, because there are less pixels to be stretched/used. Does that make any sense? :) 

Also, i've noticed that a lot of 1080p movies have a little bit of a grainy effect, not sure what it is, but it's not limited to the ps3, because some movies i download are a little grainy. So, not it is not the ps3 that makes them look grainy, because i've played FFXIII and the fmv's are 1080p, and they have NO grain, and have quite possibly the best 1080p footage i've EVER seen. :) 

PS: Here is a list of native 1080p games, that will look great, and unscaled on your monitor.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/2247017?star...
April 19, 2011 7:18:18 PM

Best answer selected by kratom420.
m
l