Which should I upgrade?

shadoelured

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I have a question concerning crashing and FPS.

If i am playing a game with the graphics settings maxed out and it stutters and has low frame rates or just plain crashes then what hardware component would be my culprit?

Would I need to upgrade my Ram to stop this from happening or maybe my GPU? I was told in game that a hard drives read speed has nothing to do with gaming at all too?

Please help me solve my riddle...

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Obviously, the component that has the most significant impact on the performance of a game is the GPU (Graphics Card). So that's all you need to upgrade, granted you don't have a crappy cpu that will bottleneck (hold back it's full potential) the GPU. But you have posted nothing of your setup, like what video card you have, or CPU. Also, to play mainstream games at max graphics you have to have a very expensive setup, and top of the line hardware. Also, ram does not have any significant impact on the performance of your game, granted you have at least DDR2 ram, which i hope you do :p
Please post your system specs so i can give you more constructive advice, so i can tell you exactly what is holding back most of your performance in gaming.

shadoelured

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Oh sorry i thought I had it as my sig here.

Well its and Acer Aspire AS8943G-9319
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type
Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz)
Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.93GHz (which I dont understand)
6MB L3 cache
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850
2GB DDR3 VRAM
4GB DDR3 1066 2x2G

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Ha, that's such a good system! Nothing is holding back your games from max settings except the video card, it's a good video card, but you can't enable everything on max on all games. Try scaling back on certain things, like Anti-aliasing, which will have a significantly good performance increase in games.

This could be your graphic settings if it is shuddering. You can use FRAPs to display your frames per second and see what it is running at. 60FPS is optimal in first person games. Some other games are ok at 30-40 like RTS and other slower moving games. If its low then turn down some settings like AA. As far as crashing, maybe update your drivers. It would also be a heat issue. That is a pretty powerful laptops do you have a laptop cooler to sit it on? that can help with heat issues as they lift it and have a fan underneath to dissipate heat. You can check your temps with an app called GPU-z. you can set it to run in the backgroup and record the max temp.

I don't think RAM is the issue unless you have a ton of apps running and are maxing out the 4GB you have. You can not upgrade a GPU in a laptop. Hard drive speeds will help with load times, that is about all.

shadoelured

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Oh cool thanks Jay2tall. no i dont have a laptop cooler. Im completely new to laptops, ive only been messin with building desktops based on model numbers and compatibility charts. hadnt really know what all the numbers and parts truly affect. Ill look into a cooler for my laptop.

I had updated the drivers but it ran worse and posted worse numbers on 3dmark11 with both of the newest drivers so i rolled it back to the one it had when i got it