Sign in with
Your question

Would upgrading to an i5 2500k yield an fps increase?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 28, 2011 5:15:20 PM

My current build is as follows.

Phenom II x6 1090t (Oc'd to 3.4 ghz, I can't seem to get it to autoclock any higher using a coolermaster hyper 212 cooler)
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo
8 gb kingston hyperx ddr
2 XFX Radeon HD 6870s 2gb in CF
Thermaltake 750w Bronze PSU
120gb OCZ SSD
500gb WD HDD

My problem is that there seems to be a bottleneck somewhere, and all signs seem to point to the cpu. The plan is to upgrade to an i5-2500k and a mobo with 2 16x pci-e connectors (mine are currently an 8x/8x split). However, I don't want to spend that kind of money if i'm not going to see results.

In any case i'm going to wait at least a month before doing anything because i'd like to see how the bulldozers benchmark, and if they're going to be backwards compatible with my current board with a bios change.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 6:50:23 PM

there's a review on toms somewhere of x4x4/x8x8/x16x16 and the difference it makes, not a lot really. And there is a review of clock for clock performance, of various processor types at the same clock.

Graphics tests here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/processor-architecture-be... seem to indicate an improvement on a 5850, given that cf 6870's are more likely to be cpu limited, i'd suggest that this would be a reasonable estimation.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/pci-express-scaling-p67-c... and nothing happens from x8x8 to x16x16

So upgrade for the CPU upgrade and the easy OC to 4.4ish.

a c 448 à CPUs
September 28, 2011 6:50:49 PM

You will see a little bit of improvement, but I don't think it would be worth your time or money.

At this point in time I suggest you wait for Zambezi (Bulldozer core) CPUs to be released and benchmarks. That would be a more logical choice of an upgrade since you already have a AM3+ motherboard. I think the CPUs are expected to available for sale in mid-October.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 7:42:14 PM

It will probably give you a tiny boost in most titles but not anywhere near the $300 upgrade cost. What's wrong with your system? What are these signs you speak of?
a c 134 à CPUs
September 28, 2011 7:47:11 PM

have you tried dropping the memory pcie and HT multipliers by 1
September 28, 2011 8:43:03 PM

The signs are not being able to max out games that I should be able to according to benchmarks. Starcraft on ultra looks terrible when I move across the map, it gets really choppy while in motion. In wow raid settings even on low im only getting around 30 fps during graphic intensive encounters. I'm not truly sure these are signs of bottlenecking since i'm new to building pcs, but all of the articles i've come across seem to say that if you're not maxing out something that your graphics card is fully capable of maxing out it's probably a cpu bottleneck issue.

And to reply to popatime I haven't tried that. Honestly, i'm not even sure how to go about doing it, but i'll look it up when i'm home.
a c 96 à CPUs
September 28, 2011 9:04:02 PM

I feel fairly safe in predicting the M4A79XTD will not get a BIOS update for Bulldozer.

If you can't go above 3.4GHz with your 1090T I think you have some other issues. It may be time to reset your CMOS and dig into some BIOS over-clocking. Verify you have the most current BIOS and post your specs over in the AMD Over-Clocking thread for some help. Check out Ryan's OC Guide and ask any questions.

You should not have issues at 3.8GHz and up with the IMC/NB at 2500MHz. You may want to consider disabling Turbo, and possibly dropping from 6- to 4-cores if gaming is 100% yer thang.

If you feel an urge to spend some money, you should snag a 990FX motherboard at around $150 to start.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 10:56:57 PM

my 1090T runs @ 4ghz all day every day (all 6 cores enabled) it is water cooled but my temps are so low i dont know if thats even required.

what are ur 3d mark scores?

hold off for a week or 2 to see what bulldozer has to offer.
a b à CPUs
September 28, 2011 11:00:58 PM

You wont get BD support in ur 790FX board unfortunatly.
i think thats going to be limited to 890FX chipsets.
a c 79 à CPUs
September 28, 2011 11:03:42 PM

turn off morphological AA in CCC, or any other quality options enabled through CCC. that really killed my starcraft fps. Also make sure your drivers and BIOS are up to date. Use driversweeper in safe mode to remove old display drivers before installing new ones.
!