Power fan

jatcat20005

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I'm new at building a computer. (this is my first attempt) I have an ASUS F1A75 M LE motherboard. I have a Thermaltake TR2-430 power supply. A warning came up that the power fan has 0 RPM. I didn't see a "plug" for the power fans on the power supply. There is a "pin" plug on the motherboard next to the processor fan. What do I need to do ? Should I plug the chassis fan into the power fan plug on the motherboard? Will that mess up the board? I am also not so familiar with this kind of messaging. How and when will I get the answer?

the 4-pin plug next to the CPU socket is the CPU power plug (actually on your motherboard it's pretty far away from the socket), so if you don't plug that in your CPU won't work. Refer to the motherboard manual as to which 3/4 pin plug to use to plug in your Heat sink fan into, that will give the power to the fan.

I'm guessing the mobo gives you that message because it has to prove non-zero RPM on the CPU fan before powering up the CPU.

Edit: looked up the manual for your mobo, page 11 has the diagram as to which port is for what. I think it might be labeled on the motherboard itself in small print.

jatcat20005

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

What do you mean "prove non-zero" RPM? I have never had this message before.

I mean that the motherboard needs to prove that the CPU heat sink fan is spinning before starting up the CPU (otherwise it will overheat within minutes). To do so it needs a fan to be connected to the pins at which point the mobo can detect the RPM on the fan, to prove that the fan is working the RPM must be non-zero.

so to answer your question from a different angle, are you using an after market CPU cooler or are you using stock? Where did you plug the fan wires into?

This has NOTHING to do with CPU power, or the CPU fan.
According to the specifications page at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_FM1/F1A75V_PRO/#specifications that mobo has a 3-pin power fan connector. Some (but not many) PSUs provide a wire that can go here to let the mobo know how fast the PSU fan is spinning (alternately, another 3-pin fan may be plugged in here). Your BIOS is able to monitor the speed of all your fans. If you don't have a fan (or a PSU's fan sense wire) plugged into that header, go into your BIOS and turn off monitoring for that fan.

jatcat20005

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I do have the CPU heat sink plugged in, but nothing plugged into the power fan pins that sit next to the CPU plug in. I am using stock, I presume, since it all came as a package deal. I built the computer-had it running about 3 months, then the mobo fried. Sent it back to ASUS, they fixed it, now I'm trying to put it back together. My son was here to "help" me the first time, he is in the airforce, so he can't help me now.

jatcat20005

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

So it won't hurt "anything" if I plug the chassis fan there? (in the PSU fan space, assuming that means power supply fan)

jatcat20005

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Thank you so much- I was pretty sure that was how I had it before, but I was second guessing myself. For us newbies and wannabies, we are scared to make a mistake because it could be costly. Maybe the manufacturer should put in the instruction manual that it doesn't really matter which fan is plugged there, or list them in priority of what can go there. Not all of us are as smart as you guys, but we are teachable and want to learn. Thanks again to all!

Thanks for that. I've never seen a PSU with leads to the mobo for fan readout, good to know.

jatcat, sorry about misinforming you, seems that I didn't understand completely what you were talking about.