RMA'd motherboard, where to next if it comes back good?

wadezulauf

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
The main parts to my computer that I just recently ordered and received are below the wall of text. I had them all put together and I got no video signal. Aside from no video signal none of my case fans that were connected to the motherboard would work. I tried a different video card from this computer and still nothing, the fan wouldn't even spin assuming because it is powered by the pci-e slot. The cpu fan did however work whenever I would turn on the computer and the power button worked hooked up to the motherboard. Everything that was plugged directly into the power supply seemed to come on and have power. I even tried resetting the cmos to no avail.

I did the breadboard setup with 1 stick memory in every dimm slot, tried both sticks that are brand new separately. I reseated the cpu and heatsink twice. I never left the computer on long enough to see if the cpu would even get hot, it was cold for about 3 minutes, then i turned it off. I went ahead and did an RMA on the motherboard for a replacement. With power to the cpu fan, but no chassis fans and when I put in a video card that gets no power from the board really lead me to believe it was the motherboard. The board seems good with a lot of options and it has future upgrade potential, so I hope I get a new one and it works.

Now I just sent it back, which is expensive to ship. It will be over a week cause new egg wont even get it till Tuesday of next week. Then go through their process and probably charge me to ship me new one. They could tell me the board is fine cause I assume they test it. Here's where I need your guys help.

Say I do get the board back and they claim it tested out fine. Where do I go from there. The next easiest step would be to try another power supply assuming the one I have is bad and cant handle load? It does power everything up and I turn it on via the power button on the front of the case. Would a better option be to go to best buy and purchase one, try it and if it works with the returned/new motherboard I have a solution? Obviously as long as best buy accept returns because I would be shipping the one from new egg back but shipping is far too costly to be trying a new part every week to find out the issue. So I thought maybe I can get parts locally, try them and if I find a solution I know what to RMA.

Next would be the CPU? I did apply a little too much thermal grease but I wiped it off and put fresh on there and never had the computer on. I inspected the pins and the socket there is no thermal paste, it never made it past the side of the ceramic on the top of the cpu. The thermal grease I have is non conductive, so I should be goof there. I listed the parts below in case there is the possibility I have a compatibility issue, but I don't think so. I checked crucials website for the ram and my motherboard it seems fine according to them. So if its not the ram, and the motherboard comes back good. Its gotta be the psu or the cpu. The worst part is I dont have a system speaker to hear codes and pin point the issue.

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Antec Gaming Series One Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT1TX0

Sapphire 9650 video card

I am really hoping they get the motherboard and it is faulty and I can rest assured I will have better luck with another one they send me. In the meantime I guess I should order an internal system speaker so I can properly diagnose next week if it doesn't fire up with new board.

wadezulauf

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
One thing I just thought of is I looked and don't remember seeing any green light on the motherboard. I thought, judging by older systems, there was a green light always on meaning the motherboard was getting power from the psu. When I had the motherboard trying everything out I never seen a green light on prior or post turning it on. Again it did turn on the cpu fan which was connected to the motherboard. That would lead me to believe that it is getting power but maybe its not getting the right amount which could also lead to a bad psu. It would suck to have to send the psu back but I have no way of testing it unless I out it in this old pentium 4 computer.