yarricc

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hey people
I just put together a new system.

Motherboard is an Intel DP67DE (spec link below)
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dp67de.html

I am running bios revision 078 along with an i5-3550

I have 4 sticks of DDR3 (Spec link below)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226293

The problem is that with all 4 sticks of ram in the board it either hangs on boot or I get a BSOD. It runs great with any one of the sticks or any 3 of them. I have run memtest on each stick individually they all come up ok.

Any ideas on why it won't run with the full 16gb of ram???

What? :pt1cable: Quad channel kit is just 2 dual channel kits in one box, it will run fine in dual channel mode with 4 sticks.

Does it run fine with 2 sticks? You said it runs fine with 1 or 3 but you didn't mention 2.

If so, have you tested that all 4 dimm slots work?

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

2011 is sandy bridge enthusiast series, only this supports quad channel. More expensive cpu's, more expensive boards. Sandy and Ivy only do dual channel.

I'm aware of this, but as I understood it quad channel memory had to be different from dual channel as you don't see many dual channel ram kits claiming compatibility with quad channel cpu/board? or is there completely no difference between the ram sticks and it only comes down to CPU ability to run in quad channel as opposed to dual channel and mobo obviously has to comply?

No no no. You can use four single channel kits, 2 dual channel kits or 1 quad channel kit, as long as all the sticks are the same speed, timings and voltage it's the same.

with two dimms in the mb run cpu-z see what the mb has set for the ram speed and timing. most time if it 1600 speed if your not using the xmp profile it drop to 1066 or 1333 speed. check under the spd tab that the mb and ram speeds are matching. also go under ram voltage..if the ram need 1.5v bump it to 1.65 and put the four dimms in and see if still locks up. if it needs 1.65 try bumping up a little. and still see if it still locks up. if it does contact intel speek with a level 2 tech and see if that ram been tested with the mb and contact the ram vendor. not all ram if you look under you mb ram guild or look at other ram guild some ram is fine for two slots..some three and some all four.

TRENDING THREADS