Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I never figured out that buying a digital camera would be ..

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:18:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi everybody,

As an amateur photographer used to an analogic Canon EOS-1000 reflex camera,
but rather tired of carrying a big load, and not wanting to spend a lot of
money on a digital SLR, I'd point out what I'd expect from a compact digital
camera:

a) low shutter lag
This seems to be the biggest problem, I've been trying a few models (Nikon,
Canon) from my friends and behave quite slowly to me. Just studying timing
in specialized web pages, it seems that Sony cameras (P150, DSC-V3 are the
fastest)

b) Wide angle starting at 28mm equivalent focus
Why most of the compact digital cameras start at 34mm or more?
At 28mm there seem to exist only a few cameras: Canon S60/70, Fuji E510/550
Didn't read very good reviews or opinions about wide angle converters

c) I'd rather discard some prosumer high level quality because of their size
and prize (I'd prefer the digital reflex)

d) I might consider as important an LCD viewer twistable or rotatory for
special angle shots

e) 5Mpixels up

My favorite themes are travels (landscapes, wildlife and people (not
portraits), so that's why I'd mainly need a fast, wide angle camera.
So, which might be my choices?
I'd appreciate a lot your help and suggestions

Best regards
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:18:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:18:45 +0100, "JVCarver"
<jvilaplanagFUERA@FUERAhotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>As an amateur photographer used to an analogic Canon EOS-1000 reflex camera,
>but rather tired of carrying a big load, and not wanting to spend a lot of
>money on a digital SLR, I'd point out what I'd expect from a compact digital
>camera:
>
>a) low shutter lag
>This seems to be the biggest problem, I've been trying a few models (Nikon,
>Canon) from my friends and behave quite slowly to me. Just studying timing
>in specialized web pages, it seems that Sony cameras (P150, DSC-V3 are the
>fastest)
>
>b) Wide angle starting at 28mm equivalent focus
>Why most of the compact digital cameras start at 34mm or more?
>At 28mm there seem to exist only a few cameras: Canon S60/70, Fuji E510/550
>Didn't read very good reviews or opinions about wide angle converters
>
>c) I'd rather discard some prosumer high level quality because of their size
>and prize (I'd prefer the digital reflex)
>
>d) I might consider as important an LCD viewer twistable or rotatory for
>special angle shots
>
>e) 5Mpixels up
>
>My favorite themes are travels (landscapes, wildlife and people (not
>portraits), so that's why I'd mainly need a fast, wide angle camera.
>So, which might be my choices?
>I'd appreciate a lot your help and suggestions
>
>Best regards
>


Look at the Nikon Coolpix 5400. It satifies all your criteria except
for low lag (shutter, auto focusing, and file storing) and can be
bought for under $250 after rebate of $200. I have not found a digital
P&S with fast response.

Check Pricegrabber.com for costs and Google for reviews.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:18:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You are so right about the importance of a twistable LCD display.
My entrance into the digital world was the Canon A80 and I never want
to work without a flexible LCD again. It increases your reach so much.
Beautiful perspectives with the camera close to the ground or great
night shots with your camera on a garbage can (where you could never
reach an eyefinder).
Related resources
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:18:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Oliver Costich wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:18:45 +0100, "JVCarver"
> <jvilaplanagFUERA@FUERAhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Hi everybody,
>>
>>As an amateur photographer used to an analogic Canon EOS-1000 reflex camera,
>>but rather tired of carrying a big load, and not wanting to spend a lot of
>>money on a digital SLR, I'd point out what I'd expect from a compact digital
>>camera:
>>
>>a) low shutter lag
>>This seems to be the biggest problem, I've been trying a few models (Nikon,
>>Canon) from my friends and behave quite slowly to me. Just studying timing
>>in specialized web pages, it seems that Sony cameras (P150, DSC-V3 are the
>>fastest)
>>
>>b) Wide angle starting at 28mm equivalent focus
>>Why most of the compact digital cameras start at 34mm or more?
>>At 28mm there seem to exist only a few cameras: Canon S60/70, Fuji E510/550
>>Didn't read very good reviews or opinions about wide angle converters
>>
>>c) I'd rather discard some prosumer high level quality because of their size
>>and prize (I'd prefer the digital reflex)
>>
>>d) I might consider as important an LCD viewer twistable or rotatory for
>>special angle shots
>>
>>e) 5Mpixels up
>>
>>My favorite themes are travels (landscapes, wildlife and people (not
>>portraits), so that's why I'd mainly need a fast, wide angle camera.
>>So, which might be my choices?
>>I'd appreciate a lot your help and suggestions
>>
>>Best regards
>>
>
>
>
> Look at the Nikon Coolpix 5400. It satifies all your criteria except
> for low lag (shutter, auto focusing, and file storing) and can be
> bought for under $250 after rebate of $200. I have not found a digital
> P&S with fast response.
>
> Check Pricegrabber.com for costs and Google for reviews.

Look again. Many of the newer ones have response on a par with DSLRs of
only a year ago.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

JVCarver wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> As an amateur photographer used to an analogic Canon EOS-1000 reflex
> camera, but rather tired of carrying a big load, and not wanting to
> spend a lot of money on a digital SLR, I'd point out what I'd expect
> from a compact digital camera:
>
> a) low shutter lag
> This seems to be the biggest problem, I've been trying a few models
> (Nikon, Canon) from my friends and behave quite slowly to me. Just
> studying timing in specialized web pages, it seems that Sony cameras
> (P150, DSC-V3 are the fastest)

The compacts are just now addressing this issue. I would expect to see
most of the next generation mid to upper quality compacts to have licked the
problem.

>
> b) Wide angle starting at 28mm equivalent focus
> Why most of the compact digital cameras start at 34mm or more?

It, cheaper and easier to engineer. Again I believe that is about to be
addressed by the compacts. It may not bee all that fast however as most
buyers only look at big telephoto and have no idea that most would be better
off with a wider angle lens.

> At 28mm there seem to exist only a few cameras: Canon S60/70, Fuji
> E510/550 Didn't read very good reviews or opinions about wide angle
> converters
> c) I'd rather discard some prosumer high level quality because of
> their size and prize (I'd prefer the digital reflex)
>
> d) I might consider as important an LCD viewer twistable or rotatory
> for special angle shots
>
> e) 5Mpixels up
>
> My favorite themes are travels (landscapes, wildlife and people (not
> portraits), so that's why I'd mainly need a fast, wide angle camera.
> So, which might be my choices?
> I'd appreciate a lot your help and suggestions
>
> Best regards

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:20:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> JVCarver wrote:
>
>>Hi everybody,
>>
>>As an amateur photographer used to an analogic Canon EOS-1000 reflex
>>camera, but rather tired of carrying a big load, and not wanting to
>>spend a lot of money on a digital SLR, I'd point out what I'd expect
>>from a compact digital camera:
>>
>>a) low shutter lag
>>This seems to be the biggest problem, I've been trying a few models
>>(Nikon, Canon) from my friends and behave quite slowly to me. Just
>>studying timing in specialized web pages, it seems that Sony cameras
>>(P150, DSC-V3 are the fastest)
>
>
> The compacts are just now addressing this issue. I would expect to see
> most of the next generation mid to upper quality compacts to have licked the
> problem.
>
>
>>b) Wide angle starting at 28mm equivalent focus
>>Why most of the compact digital cameras start at 34mm or more?
>
>
> It, cheaper and easier to engineer. Again I believe that is about to be
> addressed by the compacts. It may not bee all that fast however as most
> buyers only look at big telephoto and have no idea that most would be better
> off with a wider angle lens.
>
>
>>At 28mm there seem to exist only a few cameras: Canon S60/70, Fuji
>>E510/550 Didn't read very good reviews or opinions about wide angle
>>converters
>>c) I'd rather discard some prosumer high level quality because of
>>their size and prize (I'd prefer the digital reflex)
>>
>>d) I might consider as important an LCD viewer twistable or rotatory
>>for special angle shots
>>
>>e) 5Mpixels up
>>
>>My favorite themes are travels (landscapes, wildlife and people (not
>>portraits), so that's why I'd mainly need a fast, wide angle camera.
>>So, which might be my choices?
>>I'd appreciate a lot your help and suggestions
>>
>>Best regards
>
>
My midrange P&S is already over a year old, and a later model is
available, but there is just no significant shutter lag. It does take
about 4 seconds to power on, but by far the most significant delay in
taking pictures inside is the flash recharge time. Outside, where flash
is not needed, or with flash off, the camera can take pictures about as
fast as you can press the button, up to the point (about six shots) when
the ram buffer fills, and it must write to the flash card. I just don't
find shot to shot times a significant problem except for flash recharge.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:24:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

JVCarver wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> As an amateur photographer used to an analogic Canon EOS-1000 reflex camera,
> but rather tired of carrying a big load, and not wanting to spend a lot of
> money on a digital SLR, I'd point out what I'd expect from a compact digital
> camera:
>
> a) low shutter lag
> This seems to be the biggest problem, I've been trying a few models (Nikon,
> Canon) from my friends and behave quite slowly to me. Just studying timing
> in specialized web pages, it seems that Sony cameras (P150, DSC-V3 are the
> fastest)
>
> b) Wide angle starting at 28mm equivalent focus
> Why most of the compact digital cameras start at 34mm or more?
> At 28mm there seem to exist only a few cameras: Canon S60/70, Fuji E510/550
> Didn't read very good reviews or opinions about wide angle converters
>
> c) I'd rather discard some prosumer high level quality because of their size
> and prize (I'd prefer the digital reflex)
>
> d) I might consider as important an LCD viewer twistable or rotatory for
> special angle shots
>
> e) 5Mpixels up
>
> My favorite themes are travels (landscapes, wildlife and people (not
> portraits), so that's why I'd mainly need a fast, wide angle camera.
> So, which might be my choices?
> I'd appreciate a lot your help and suggestions
>
> Best regards
>
>
Ricoh Caplio R1v

Tony M
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:34:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Markus wrote:
> You are so right about the importance of a twistable LCD display.
> My entrance into the digital world was the Canon A80 and I never want
> to work without a flexible LCD again. It increases your reach so much.
> Beautiful perspectives with the camera close to the ground or great
> night shots with your camera on a garbage can (where you could never
> reach an eyefinder).
>

That's not a feature I want. Doesn't match my style of photography.
Frankly, I have never needed to put my camera on a garbage can and frame
a shot. Grin.
I guess if you are really into that type of adventurous photography, it
would have its uses, but I think I am a bit old for that.


--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:47:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:24:44 +0000, Tony M wrote:

> Ricoh Caplio R1v

I've been considering that camera but first, it's not available in
the USA from any authorized dealers, and if there are any available
from gray market dealers I haven't found any of them yet. (I won't
buy one from eBay). Also, do you really believe that it autofocuses
and takes the picture in just 0.05 seconds? It might be a really
fast camera, but I'd think a bit of creative cheating got Ricoh that
value. A review I came across indicates that its picture quality
isn't the best (noise, etc.) but that seems to be far outweighed but
its other features, small size and good battery options (lithium
rechargeable or AA).
!