Serious Complications Installing New Motherboard

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hi Guys, So i recently replaced my ASUS M4A785TD-M Evo with an AsRock 970 Extreme3

I was using an OEM copy of windows without doing a fresh install, because after talking to many people at microsoft, they said since I have the Disc and Product Key, I would be alright.

So anyways, I installed the motherboard correctly (Im pretty sure) and i started it up.

The computer started up perfectly, pretty fast and recognized the new motherboard and installed some of the stuff.

I put the disc in to install everything else. Towards the end of the installation i went to put the ethernet wire in, and all of a sudden the computer just turned off. And now it won't start up at all, and it will not make any noises or anything. What could be the problem?

Please help me I'm freaking out :(

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
With thermal issues it will still attempt to turn on, but will auto shut off after a few seconds. Like previous poster said, sounds like it could have been a short when the ethernet was connected.

You may need to RMA the board.

But first disconnect everything and reconnect. Every time I have had issues like your's that has solved the problem. (aside, of course, from the one time it didn't...and I had to RMA :) )

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

Alright thank you, If i have to RMA this I'm going to be very upset, and will more than likely be done with ASUS and ASrock products =/

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I know RMA's can be frustrating...just remember, electronics have a failure rate of about 5%. Sucks, I know...but them's just the facts. :) (which is why I stick with newegg...never had any issues with RMA's thru them)

Good Luck Bro!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
UPDATE:

When i pulled the motherboard out of the case and had it plugged into the screen with my graphics card, and nothing but a processer and memory it booted just fine.... so what is the problem?!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Yes it was, i had an extra spacer touching the motherboard.... lol. But i have some weird news here.

I used an OLD OEM copy of windows 7 64bit home premium. Everyone says online "Oh it doesn't work with OEM you can't use it with a new motherboard."

I used it with a different motherboard, didn't have to even use a new disc. I just booted it up and it worked perfectly and i was able to re use the activation key, and i even called microsoft to ask them and they told me OEM copies work off 10 points. when you replace a motherboard its 5 points off, once you reach 10 points on a OEM copy it will no longer work, i found it very interested and maybe others want to know this.