Sign in with
Your question

Twin frozr III 6950 Fan blade broke.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2011 11:50:15 PM

Well long story short i recieved it in a dented shipping box but it worked

well yesterday once i put it at 80% fan speed, one of the 13 fan blades flew off...

I called newegg for a rma and they said no, so they filed a claim with UPS and they said they don't know if ill get a refund at all

So i called MSI and they said i would have to pay 45$ + shipping and they would send me a different Refurb card...I WOULDNT even get a TWIN FROZR III back! when im paying them money!..

what to do.. only 5 days old...

April 20, 2011 12:03:09 AM

Sounds like you are screwed I guess. I'm surprised Newegg wouldn't take an RMA but I guess it's not really a big deal. Missing one fan blade out of 13 shouldn't affect things all that much I would think.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:08:25 AM

Douche bags, they should get you a new card! :S Just curious, when you run the card with the broken fan, does it vibrate loudly? How much higher do the temps rise with the broken fan? Honestly, super glue would work quite well, i mean.... it's a very thin blade, and will be difficult to glue, but it's worth a try :)  I know a few people who used super glue to fix their fans, and it worked fine :)  Also, the person above me is right, it shouldn't have too much of an impact on heat, maybe 5c at most, check your max temps for your card (google the specs of your card) and as long as it doesn't go over that max temp on full load, then you should be fine :p 
m
l
Related resources
April 20, 2011 12:11:34 AM

no temp change whatsoever, and as for vibration, well i can't really tell because at 40% or lower fan speed its dead quiet, but at 70 or higher it spins so fast that no matter if its brand new fan or not, it will vibrate, but if i run my whole pc at fans 100% and lay it on its side i feel vibration on the ground itself. lol
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:16:40 AM

balthalzar said:
no temp change whatsoever, and as for vibration, well i can't really tell because at 40% or lower fan speed its dead quiet, but at 70 or higher it spins so fast that no matter if its brand new fan or not, it will vibrate, but if i run my whole pc at fans 100% and lay it on its side i feel vibration on the ground itself. lol

Well then, everything is fine! :)  I know how you must feel though, it being a new card and all, but honestly you're just panicking because it's an expensive card with a defect, and that SUCKS haha But in reality, the card does what the card does, and that's superior gaming graphics! You'll just have to deal without the "brand spanking new" feeling :p 
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:16:51 AM

Alright I have given this some thought continue to use it till the fan bearing fails then replace it with a conventional fan. That is a half height 80mm fan but you can mod a standard 80mm to mount onto the face plate by several ways. One you can mode the housing of the fan to ware it no longer has the frame but mounts as the stock fan does but that will require a drill as well skill. The other is just onto the plate with the frame but will be very ugly any way. You are lucky that I have ran through the same scenario with my gtx 460.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:20:49 AM

:/  i might file a bbb complaint. i want a new one or it fixed.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:22:57 AM

balthalzar said:
:/ i might file a bbb complaint. i want a new one or it fixed.

Don't you have coverage from the company who mailed it? And when they said they'd send a DIFFERENT refurb back, what makes you think it won't be the same brand? Maybe they meant they'll just replace your card with a new one? (refurb) And you called MSI! So MSI isn't going to send you anything back but another Twin Frozer haha, it's not like they're selling other versions of the card.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:25:36 AM

coreydmorton said:
Don't you have coverage from the company who mailed it?

Newegg filed a claim against UPS for me, but the problem is the item broke 3 days after i recieved it, BUT the shipping box was dented so maybe the blade got damaged in that, and then broke yesterday. etc
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:28:55 AM

Quote:
That's probably it, but if you called msi, they'll only replace it with another twin frozer, not a DIFFERENT card.

i called MSI and they will give me a twin frozr III or comparable/better card, but a REFURB one. not a new one. :/  right now im trying to solve it via newegg.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:29:23 AM

coreydmorton said:
haha, it's not like they're selling other versions of the card.
MSI actually sells three different versions of the card. The Twin Frozr II, the Twin Frozr III and the reference model.
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:30:41 AM

jyjjy said:
MSI actually sells three different versions of the card. The Twin Frozr II, the Twin Frozr III and the reference model.

My mind's in the gutter, i'm was assuming that there was just an "MSI" brand hahaha wtf am i thinking. I have an MSI GTX 570, and there is like 3 versions for mine as well, so i did know that, not sure why i said otherwise hehe
m
l
April 20, 2011 12:40:34 AM

balthalzar said:
:/

OHhhh! I thought you originally had a refurbed 6950 :p  So, i guess it IS a step down from new to refurb. Anyway, good luck with newegg, I don't have any experience RMAing with newegg, but i love that site haha
m
l
April 20, 2011 5:04:44 AM

Same thing happened to mine. Super glued it back on, and believe it or not it worked..... Plain old 2$ tube of superglue and some patience to hold in on there exactly right until the glue sets up (20 seconds). Wait an hour and back in business......
m
l
March 10, 2012 1:24:38 PM

I have a similar problem with my twin frozr II, would those turbo module fans work as well as the ones on the card? I have two in xfire, I might just order two sets if that is the case and just replace them all
m
l
April 2, 2012 7:00:42 PM

I fixed mine using super glue :p 

m
l
!