Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New processor upgrade i7 2600k need advice

Last response: in Systems
July 2, 2011 9:21:46 PM

Hi,
I am planning on upgrading my processor which is current core 2 duo e7500 to the new i7 2600k
for this its obvious i need to change motherboard and that waht i need help.

i cant decide which motherboard to take.
i want one with the ability to use quick sync and also to be able to overclock a bit.

my current choices involve GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 or the asus P8Z68-V PRO
any other choices is welcome but must be in same price tag as these two

for the ram i will be going with the 8gb ddr3 g-skill ripjaws x series ram

for gpu i will be using a gts 450 which i already have and i got a 550 watt power supply(will this be ok??)
any other advice would be good
note taht i am really budget limited but i want to buy something that will last long as i cant upgrade pc each year lol

thanks in advance
July 2, 2011 9:38:50 PM

In the future i may want to change the vid card and do an sli config that why i want a board that is future proof .
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2011 10:20:28 PM

And also will you be needing hyper threading? If you are on a budget just get a i5 2500k, save $100 bucks and overclock very easy with that board above.

And also remember future proofing means your going to need more PSU power as well if your going to do an SLI or CrossFireX set up.
m
l
July 3, 2011 4:56:08 AM

yeah, asrock p67 extreme is really nice board, and 2500k would be suffficient
m
l
July 3, 2011 8:33:04 AM

i know i wont be using the hyperthreading right now but as i told you am not gonna upgrade the processor again for the next 3 years so i thought better having something overpowered right now then it will be good later on .
for the psu i will change that in time but for the time being will the 550 w work with the i7 and thanks for the motherboard suggestion but it doesnt support for integrated gpu what i want is a z68 board
m
l
July 3, 2011 2:44:14 PM

Yes the 550 will work with the i7 and the 450 both, and then later when you deside to SLI and overclock get something thats 700+ i love the Corsair tx850 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or the Silverstone Strider 700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both of those are SLI ready and are really awesome PSU(this is future though, just thinking ahead for you)

And sorry about the p67 i should have read more of your post carefully. Just let me know if i can help with anything else.
m
l
July 3, 2011 6:37:15 PM

thanks a lot for the power supply i will remember them when upgrading. So which z68 motherboard should i go with???
m
l

Best solution

July 4, 2011 3:37:33 PM

Any of the ones you mention above are really awesome boards i really like the asus z68 as well, it is a little cheaper but has almost the same features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And 700w should be all you need, it's future proofing your system for the next 3 years, just in case you want a new GPU with SLI orCrossfireX
July 6, 2011 9:21:09 PM

Best answer selected by digam.
m
l
!