White balance by eye?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 10, 2005 11:31:41 AM

After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)

More about : white balance eye

March 10, 2005 4:53:28 PM

Cynicor wrote:
> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
> slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
> slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
> bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
> serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
> been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)

How old are you? Cataract?
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:53:29 PM

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
>> have slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things
>> with a slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to
>> be a bit bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I
>> have a serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I
>> haven't been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
> How old are you? Cataract?

God, I hope not. I'm not even 40. Although I did look at a lot of loud rock
music in my youth.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 10, 2005 4:53:30 PM

Cynicor wrote:
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
>
>>Cynicor wrote:
>>
>>>After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
>>>have slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things
>>>with a slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to
>>>be a bit bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I
>>>have a serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I
>>>haven't been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>>
>>How old are you? Cataract?
>

> God, I hope not. I'm not even 40. Although I did look at a lot of loud rock
> music in my youth.

Hi Cynicor,

I have a similar situation with my left eye causing a slightly yellow
cast. It turns out that I have the beginnings of a cataract in that eye.

If you have medical insurance, it shouldn't cost you much to have an
Opthomologist take a look at your eyes to be safe. I would.

Best,
Dave
March 10, 2005 5:26:06 PM

In article <mLudnV6zsO93zK3fRVn-jw@speakeasy.net>, j.t.r.u..p.i..n...
@speakeasy.net says...

> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
> > Cynicor wrote:
> >> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
> >> have slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things
> >> with a slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to
> >> be a bit bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I
> >> have a serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I
> >> haven't been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
> > How old are you? Cataract?
>
> God, I hope not. I'm not even 40. Although I did look at a lot of loud rock
> music in my youth.

Depending on how serious you are about it, you might try an experiment.

Stand facing North (or south or east or west) for 10 to 20 minutes and check
your eyball "white balance"

Then turn in the oposite direction and if the light doesn't change (no cloud
shall pass before the sun ect.) you MIGHT just find you have reversed the
"white balance" of your eyes.

Normally your brain will make corrections in what it sees, if the imbalance
in lighting lasts more than a minute or two. (whitness the fact that in the
summer, in the forrest, where almost all the light is filtered through green,
a white shirt will still look white to you after a short time, but ithout
proper camera settings, or filters for film, it probably wont photraph as
white).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Cynicor wrote:
> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
> slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
> slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
> bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
> serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
> been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)

I sometimes find a slight red/blue imbalance.

Tom
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 6:24:12 PM

> I sometimes find a slight red/blue imbalance.
>
> Tom

I find it keeps going bright, then dark, then bright, then dark
again....it's happening again....
March 10, 2005 6:24:13 PM

In article <d0poqr$ko1$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, me@me.com says...
> I find it keeps going bright, then dark, then bright, then dark
> again....it's happening again....

Stop that infernal BLINKING!
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:47:54 +0000, Tom Hudson <gbz@fvathyne.bet.hx>
wrote:

>Cynicor wrote:
>> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
>> slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>> slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
>> bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>> serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>> been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>>
>I sometimes find a slight red/blue imbalance.

So you can watch 3D movies without wearing glasses? Cool!

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

In article <t--dnZrr6aOi0a3fRVn-rg@speakeasy.net>, j.t.r.u..p.i..n...
@speakeasy.net says...
> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
> slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
> slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
> bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
> serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
> been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)

Yes...it's not only common...it's the norm.

In my case, one sees things with a slight blue cast, the other, slightly
red. Nothing anyone would notice unless you were specifically looking
for it, of course.

-Drude
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:34:01 PM

> God, I hope not. I'm not even 40. Although I did look at a lot of loud
> rock
> music in my youth.
My sister had two cataracts removed in her 40's. The operation is a snap,
and they can now correct your vision when they replace the cornea. You
should probably get it checked out. As for listening to a lot of loud rock
music in your youth, that will come back to haunt you as well -- maybe.
Usually it comes in the form of tinnitus, and if you haven't got it now
you're probably okay. You just can't have that much fun without paying for
it. :-)
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:40:06 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:26:56 -0500, Larry <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net>
wrote:

>In article <d0poqr$ko1$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, me@me.com says...
>> Tom says:
>>> I sometimes find a slight red/blue imbalance.
>>
>> I find it keeps going bright, then dark, then bright, then dark
>> again....it's happening again....
>>

>Stop that infernal BLINKING!

Not if the flashing is red/blue, it means he's DRIVING TOO FAST!

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

In message <t--dnZrr6aOi0a3fRVn-rg@speakeasy.net>,
"Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

>After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
>slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
>bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)

Same here; the left eye is warmer. I'm 45, and it's been like this as
far back as I can remember.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:50:30 AM

<JPS@no.komm> wrote in message
> In message <t--dnZrr6aOi0a3fRVn-rg@speakeasy.net>,
> "Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>>After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
>>have
>>slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>>slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a
>>bit
>>bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>>serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>>been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>
> Same here; the left eye is warmer. I'm 45, and it's been like this as
> far back as I can remember.

Hmmm. Do you think I should pop my eyeball out and clean the sensor? Is
compressed air safe?
March 11, 2005 2:50:31 AM

In article <_NOdnc_CG8C4dq3fRVn-1A@speakeasy.net>, j.t.r.u..p.i..n...
@speakeasy.net says...

> <JPS@no.komm> wrote in message
> > In message <t--dnZrr6aOi0a3fRVn-rg@speakeasy.net>,
> > "Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
> >
> >>After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
> >>have
> >>slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
> >>slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a
> >>bit
> >>bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
> >>serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
> >>been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
> >
> > Same here; the left eye is warmer. I'm 45, and it's been like this as
> > far back as I can remember.
>
> Hmmm. Do you think I should pop my eyeball out and clean the sensor? Is
> compressed air safe?

You need to soak it overnight in a warm bath of VISENE eydrops.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:50:29 GMT, JPS@no.komm wrote:

>In message <t--dnZrr6aOi0a3fRVn-rg@speakeasy.net>,
>"Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>>After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
>>slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>>slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
>>bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>>serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>>been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>
>Same here; the left eye is warmer. I'm 45, and it's been like this as
>far back as I can remember.

Early 30's. Right eye warmer, left eye dominant (gets the viewfinder).

I wonder if this slight color balance shift (that, from reading posts
here, seems fairly normal) is part of the brains way of gathering more
color information buy mixing data from two slightly differently
balanced sources?

Our binocular vision probably relies on focus & luminance to function,
which would need to be kept separate from each eye, but color data can
be averaged from the two eyes without any issues.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:50:29 GMT, JPS@no.komm wrote:
>
>>In message <t--dnZrr6aOi0a3fRVn-rg@speakeasy.net>,
>>"Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>
>>>After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
>>>have
>>>slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>>>slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a
>>>bit
>>>bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>>>serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>>>been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>>
>>Same here; the left eye is warmer. I'm 45, and it's been like this as
>>far back as I can remember.
>
> Early 30's. Right eye warmer, left eye dominant (gets the viewfinder).

Are you left or right-handed? I'm left-handed and my left eye is dominant,
so I see the left side of my nose as I look out. I never thought to ask if
this is a left/right-handed thing.

> I wonder if this slight color balance shift (that, from reading posts
> here, seems fairly normal) is part of the brains way of gathering more
> color information buy mixing data from two slightly differently
> balanced sources?
>
> Our binocular vision probably relies on focus & luminance to function,
> which would need to be kept separate from each eye, but color data can
> be averaged from the two eyes without any issues.

So my malfunctioning eyes have just opened up a completely new theory of
vision. I'll call the university.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:16:46 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:31:41 -0500, Cynicor wrote:

> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
> slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
> slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
> bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
> serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
> been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)

What software are you using?

--
?
March 11, 2005 5:16:47 PM

In article <pan.2005.03.11.12.16.46.143000@home.com>, not@home.com says...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:31:41 -0500, Cynicor wrote:
>
> > After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
> > slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
> > slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
> > bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
> > serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
> > been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>
> What software are you using?

LINUX.brainware. ver .92a

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Roxy d'Urban" <not@home.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.11.12.16.46.143000@home.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:31:41 -0500, Cynicor wrote:
>
>> After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes
>> have
>> slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>> slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a
>> bit
>> bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>> serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>> been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>
> What software are you using?

The doctor said I can't fix it because I shot JPG.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:16:48 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:25:13 -0500, Larry <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net>
wrote:

>In article <pan.2005.03.11.12.16.46.143000@home.com>, not@home.com says...
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:31:41 -0500, Cynicor wrote:
>>
>> > After we got some snow here earlier this week, I realized that my eyes have
>> > slightly different white balance. My left eye tends to see things with a
>> > slightly yellowish cast compared with my right eye, which tends to be a bit
>> > bluer. Have others noticed slight differences like this, or do I have a
>> > serious medical condition that requires immediate assistance? (I haven't
>> > been able to find my manual white balance menu setting yet.)
>>
>> What software are you using?
>>

>LINUX.brainware. ver .92a

I must be running some early 70's Microsoft stuff. I get a version of
the blue screen of death (actually it's black) whenever I drink too
much, followed the next morning by some nasty puke-green boot-up
screen.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Hi,

Interesting comments about eyes.

My friend just had right eye (cataract) surgery. He previously had the
left eye done.

Left eye (7700K) warmer; Right eye (5500K) cooler.

Best,

Conrad

--
Conrad