Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading mobo without losing HDD personal data?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2012 12:08:31 AM

Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible when I upgrade my new motherboard (first time) to not have to wipe the hard drive because of windows. I've heard a few things that I have yet to be confirmed possible:

-System repair?
-Creating a new partition and placing your files inside of their?
-Installing the new motherboards drivers before installing the new mobo itself?

Would any of these be plausible?

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 12:32:27 AM

it might work if you have the same chipset, other than that, your gonna have to work around and it will be a major headache
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 12:41:56 AM

unless its an exact replacement or same chipset back up your data. wipe the drive. reinstall windows.

Also note that if its a prebuilt system or oem even if you did it without reinstalling your windows license may refuse to activate online as it is tied to the motherboard
m
l
Related resources
June 21, 2012 12:59:08 AM

I'd be going from 780 to 880 chipset
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 1:28:41 AM

your gonna have to re install, just backup the files you want to keep, and the 880G chipset, why not go for the 970 or 990FX instead
m
l
June 21, 2012 2:48:33 AM

nna2 said:
your gonna have to re install, just backup the files you want to keep, and the 880G chipset, why not go for the 970 or 990FX instead

I have a micro-ATX and the highest chip set they have is an 880 at the moment. I would love to use standard ATX and get the features and my computer "should" take it but the model was made with m-ATX even though the case is a full tower. I am using an LX-6200, but it is all upgraded.

For now I will settle with a budget mobo that will be sufficient until I just buy a new case that takes ATX (I could use a new one anyways)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 2:55:02 AM

ahh kk, makes sense
m
l
!