Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What card will work with 4 monitors???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2011 2:07:03 AM

I would like to purchase a Radeon card that will allow me to drive 4 simultaneous displays:

- One 30" Gateway that will use dual link DVI cable and will run at 2650X1600
- Two 21" Dells monitors that will use DVI and will run at 1600X1200
- One 1080P Epson projector that will use a DVI to HDMI cable

I purchased an XFX Radeon 6870 but I was unable to activate 4 monitors. I purchased a couple passive and active mini displayport to DVI adaptors from monoprice but whatever combination I used I was only able to extend 3 monitors at a time.

If I return this 6870 and upgrade to a 6900 series card will I be able to drive four non-displayport displays? The material I have read is kind of misleading and I want to ensure I don't end up in the same situation after spending more money. I want to be able to play HD video on the projector and use the other 3 LCD monitors for work and browsing. The odd time I would like to use Eyefinity to combine the three monitors for gaming but I could live without that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : card work monitors

a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 2:10:31 AM

cheapest option would be to buy another 6870 and use them in crossfire for eyefinity, 1 of those cards isnt really enough to power eyefinity. If you just want some extra display outputs just get another cheap vid card like a 5450. Of course this assumes you have a second pcie slot. there are a few cards out that offer 6 display outputs http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...
April 20, 2011 2:15:54 AM

I would really prefer to use one video card so less power is used and I don't want to have to upgrade other components. When you move to two cards you then have to look at the chipset used on the motherboard, types of PCI slots available, the PSU, etc. I don't want to upgrade this PC again. I just removed two nvidia cards because I was told that the 6870 would do the trick for me. If I had a 30" displayport monitor instead of DVI would it work? Also, I should have mentioned, my 30" Gateway does have HDMI in which this card could use. Would that help at all?
Related resources
April 20, 2011 2:16:48 AM

Also, I'm not interested in Eyefinity really. I just want 4 separate displays. Also, I read your message really quickly and missed the part about cards with 6 outputs. Would this card work for me if I used three passive displayport mini to DVI and one active to dual link DVI?
a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 6:30:44 AM

i dont know weather you need passive or active displayport things. do some googling and you should find the answer. there are newer variants from the 6xxx series that support 6 displays also.

Best solution

a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 3:03:44 PM

I believe the 6xxx cards support 4 display native and 6 using the Display port 1.2 (daisy changed or through a hub). The 2 DVI and 1 HDMI ports will only support one channel so you can only use 2 of those. Your card only has one Dual Link DVI port, make sure the 30" is using this and you are using a dual link DVI cable. Now I am not sure if using a dual link DVI connection allows you to have a 2nd DVI display, I think it does, but not 100%. It may only allow you to have up to a certain resolution because the dual link consumes so much.

The 3nd and 4th display MUST use ACTIVE display port adapters, one in each mini display port on the card. Passives only work is you are using 2 displays total on the card and no more than that. (which doesn't make sense unless your card has DP ports only)

April 20, 2011 4:50:16 PM

jay2tall said:
I believe the 6xxx cards support 4 display native and 6 using the Display port 1.2 (daisy changed or through a hub). The 2 DVI and 1 HDMI ports will only support one channel so you can only use 2 of those. Your card only has one Dual Link DVI port, make sure the 30" is using this and you are using a dual link DVI cable. Now I am not sure if using a dual link DVI connection allows you to have a 2nd DVI display, I think it does, but not 100%. It may only allow you to have up to a certain resolution because the dual link consumes so much.

The 3nd and 4th display MUST use ACTIVE display port adapters, one in each mini display port on the card. Passives only work is you are using 2 displays total on the card and no more than that. (which doesn't make sense unless your card has DP ports only)

Thanks for the input Jay. When I tried to connect two active adapters to the mini displayports it did not work. The monitors including the one that worked previously using a single active adapter did not work at all. I don't think the card will allow two active adapters at the same time.
a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 4:55:50 PM

It's is very possible that is the case. The Whole eyefinity thing revolves around the need for display port. I know with the 5xxx series cards you could only have 3 displays and the one HAD to be display port whether it was native or used an active adapter. The 6xxx series introduced 2 display ports and DP 1.2. So you can have up to 6 displays if 4 of them are DP 1.2 or through a hub. I am not completely sure how the card views the active adapters. I know they are only single link DVI which is good for 1920x1200 resolutions or less.
a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 4:57:04 PM

What if you disconnect everything except 2 displays using the DP to DVI adapter? Does it just work with these 2? If not, you have your answer on that.
April 20, 2011 5:03:54 PM

jay2tall said:
What if you disconnect everything except 2 displays using the DP to DVI adapter? Does it just work with these 2? If not, you have your answer on that.

I am going to head to my home office and try that out. I was kind of thinking the same thing after reading your last post. Thanks for the help and I will let you know how I make out.
a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 5:26:32 PM

No problem. I'd also try it with JUST the 30" and another plugged into the other DVI port. Make sure you get the 2560x1600 res on the 30" and the native res on the other.

Also, what combination did you get 3 displays working? Were they each at their perspective native resolutions?
April 20, 2011 6:55:35 PM

jay2tall said:
No problem. I'd also try it with JUST the 30" and another plugged into the other DVI port. Make sure you get the 2560x1600 res on the 30" and the native res on the other.

Also, what combination did you get 3 displays working? Were they each at their perspective native resolutions?

Interesting. It works! I started with just the two 21" monitors plugged into the active mini displayports to DVI and they both worked. So, I plugged the 30" into the dual link DVI port on the card and that worked. Then I plugged the projector into the DVI port on the card and it worked.

I guess the trick was to not have the 30" dual link on the displayport with the active adapter.

Thanks so much for your help Jay. I was ready to give up and just go with three displays. Also other guys were telling me to just throw in another card. So glad I did not listen. Thanks again.
April 20, 2011 6:56:14 PM

Best answer selected by dzruna.
a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 7:03:35 PM

dzruna said:

I guess the trick was to not have the 30" dual link on the displayport with the active adapter.

Thanks so much for your help Jay. I was ready to give up and just go with three displays. Also other guys were telling me to just throw in another card. So glad I did not listen. Thanks again.

The 30" would not work on the Active adapter because they only support single link DVI which is up to 1920x1200.

No problem, it's always good to have another person look at things. I know how it goes trying to get something to work that has several different combinations.

If it was a 5000 series card that would be correct. I didn't even know before this thread, but knew they supported up to 6 displays somehow. I thought they only supported 3, but after looking at AMD's site it stated differently.

Enjoy your setup. Sounds like you are conducting shuttle missions or something. :sol: 
a b C Monitor
April 20, 2011 8:16:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!