Holy cow...My 9800GT has been running since 2008!!!

gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Now first and foremost I am going to admit....very rarely do I turn off my computer. I know it's a bad habit and with this new system I ordered. Anywho I was searching through my old tigerdirect orders from way on and I realized that my EVGA 9800GT was purchased in 2008...and like i said I have very rarely turned off my computer.

I felt that this should be shared because in my opinion that really says something about the card, long after it's glory days (well not the best card glory-wise, but you get it lol)

I give EVGA a thumbs up for one hell of a reliable card.

4745454b

Titan
Why is it bad to not turn of your computer? Mine at home is always on, mostly so that I can connect to it from work and use it if I need to.

While they haven't seen use recently, I have old PCI 1 and 2MB cards that could still work. I use them to diagnose computer issues when I don't have an AGP card.

4745454b

Titan
Considering the pace that video cards have been setting, I don't worry about how long they'll last. You'll want to upgrade it to support new tech usually before it will die. I wouldn't pay extra for a lifetime warranty. Why would I want the equivalent of the 7600GS now? (for example)

Seeko

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Mine is running strong too! I ordered mine from newegg in October of 2008, and it's still going like a champ! My entire system, really! This was my first build from the ground up, and I'm proud :)

My 9800 AIW Pro is the oldest card i have that is still in day to day use. So far it can play anything my 5 year old Grandson wants to play. Track Mania Nations is his favourite at the moment although Thomas the tank engine usually gets good use. :love:

Mactronix :)

In general leaving you computer on 24/7 is actually not a bad thing(outside of perhaps your power bill.) Turning the computer on and off heats up and cools down the components causing them to expand and contract slightly. Over time this can create small defects in the components circuitry.

That and the fact that going from an off state to on is the main cause of failure due to the power spike that occurs in doing so -- (think about when do your light bulbs burn out in your light fixture - when it is already lighting the room or right when you flip the switch to turn the light on ?) same concept for computers.

But really 3 years is not that exceptional (figure that is why the makers provide up to 3 year warranties ( or 3rd party insurers will sell extended warranties for that timeframe) - since they feel under normal circumstances the card should last slightly longer than that !)

The only two things that you should be concerned at this point is the fans and the drives. A typical hard drive fails after 6000 hours of use while many do survive well beyond that. load up hd tune and check the health tab for the power on hours count and any thing high lighted in yellow or red. The fan bearings are finite in their life if not maintained. As for the on off thing I have yet to have a problem from that with my current machine. 8k hours of use thus far on this build with 829 power cycle count meaning my machine has been turned on 829 times. The trick is keeping decent temps on load and idle while only using quality parts then power cycle isn't going to be much of a concern. Leaving the machine on endlessly though isn't the best either knowing how most consumer drives are a game of Russian Roulette when it comes to the spindle.