Sign in with
Your question

Broken CPU Pins or Broken Socket?

Last response: in CPUs
September 29, 2011 3:30:06 AM

Hi All,

I'm not new to CPU building but I'm very new to this problem - I am building a new build for my friend and the mobo I am using is the Gigabyte z68xp ud5 and the i5 2500k processor...

I started with a test boot by installing the cpu in the socket but the lever would not lock without force...

The cpu was aligned correctly in the socket using the notches are the arrow in the left corner but I am not sure why the lever is not able to be pulled down. Is it the cpu or the socket? I don't have a magnifying glass but it looks like there are 3 "blue" cpu pins in the processor.....Is that normal?

I don't want to re-seat my own cpu so can someone tell me if the blue pins on the cpu mean that it broke off? This has never happened to me before and my friend is trying to hold me responsible..sigh.

How do I check if it is a defective socket? I am not sure which to RMA first...

Thanks for any and all help
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2011 3:39:20 AM

do a google image search for 2500k and compare that to what you have.

same with doing a search for 1155 socket in google images.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2011 10:42:03 AM

That is a pinless processor. Where do you see the PINS? The Mobo and the Processor are both 1155 so there's no problem there.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 29, 2011 11:01:52 AM

alyoshka said:
That is a pinless processor. Where do you see the PINS? The Mobo and the Processor are both 1155 so there's no problem there.

Yeah 1155 is LGA (Land Grid Array) not PGA (Pin Grid Array).

Make sure the CPU is on the right way round (usually 2 little notches, 1 on each side) allowing the CPU to sit on top of the socket.

The ZIF socket bar is usually very stiff, it might even make a little crunch sound as you pull it down. Just make sure the CPU is on properly and this wont an issue.
m
l
!