Sign in with
Your question

Linux installtion problem with gigabyte ga-h61m-d2h

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2012 4:26:42 AM

Hello,
i have recently updated my p4 to i3 by upgrading my previous motherboard with newone gigabyte ga-h61m-d2h. everything working fine but it shows error while installing linux (RHEL 5) and asking for chipset driver to continue installation. So tell me how can i solve this problem or from where i can download chipset driver of this motherboard to install linux (RHEL 5). and send message or downloading link in reply. I appreciate your help for this

Thanks

Anil
June 21, 2012 5:24:36 AM

I'm gonna make a wild guess. Linux wants the driver for the network connection so that it can download updates while it is being installed. If you are installing some version of Ubuntu, you should be able to un-select the option to download those updates and language packs, and Ubuntu will stop looking for a network connection and complete the installation. Then after rebooting, it should detect your network and you will be able to update everything. I could be wrong. Also, you may want to edit your above post and remove the email address... that's inviting trouble to your inbox.
June 23, 2012 1:59:01 PM

spankmon said:
I'm gonna make a wild guess. Linux wants the driver for the network connection so that it can download updates while it is being installed. If you are installing some version of Ubuntu, you should be able to un-select the option to download those updates and language packs, and Ubuntu will stop looking for a network connection and complete the installation. Then after rebooting, it should detect your network and you will be able to update everything. I could be wrong. Also, you may want to edit your above post and remove the email address... that's inviting trouble to your inbox.

Thanks for your suggestion about it and in somewhat way it sounds good but dear i am installing RHEL 5 which do not require network connection before installing drivers i.e. it install all the chip set drivers before installation well i searched it on gigabyte site and found that this MB required chipset drivers externally provided by vendor or third party to install linux i.e. it does not support linux independently like other MB. so if you can get these drivers for me i am very thankful for this actually i have searched a lot but all in vain. hope you help me about this.
Related resources
June 23, 2012 7:08:22 PM

If it were my motherboard, I would ask the question: Does this happen with any other Linux distribution that I want to install?

Then I would download Fedora (which is based on Red Hat), and see if the Fedora live cd works on the Gigabyte motherboard. If the live cd functions properly, then I would assume that Fedora has the necessary drivers for the Gigabyte board. But I don't have a clue as to how to transfer those drivers to Red Hat during its installation (assuming the drivers are available from Fedora).
June 24, 2012 11:01:12 AM

spankmon said:
If it were my motherboard, I would ask the question: Does this happen with any other Linux distribution that I want to install?

Then I would download Fedora (which is based on Red Hat), and see if the Fedora live cd works on the Gigabyte motherboard. If the live cd functions properly, then I would assume that Fedora has the necessary drivers for the Gigabyte board. But I don't have a clue as to how to transfer those drivers to Red Hat during its installation (assuming the drivers are available from Fedora).

June 24, 2012 11:01:33 AM

I have not check other linux distributions except RHEL on this board Actually i am working on RHEL so u can understand. If i am not wrong you are trying to say that fedora can have necessary drivers of linux for this motherboard...am i right ???......any wey i just want to told you that if you can find out the drivers of RHEL for this GA series motherboard it will be great! . well if you are talking about fedora compatibility i will check this till then Kindly arrange drivers for this i am thankful for this.
December 6, 2012 3:52:43 PM

anil98433 said:
I have not check other linux distributions except RHEL on this board Actually i am working on RHEL so u can understand. If i am not wrong you are trying to say that fedora can have necessary drivers of linux for this motherboard...am i right ???......any wey i just want to told you that if you can find out the drivers of RHEL for this GA series motherboard it will be great! . well if you are talking about fedora compatibility i will check this till then Kindly arrange drivers for this i am thankful for this.

I have same motherboard. I've tried several (Ubuntu) live cd's, all have the same problem with network diver...."no working ethernet card could be found". The issue here is where to find drivers. Chipset is H61. Can anybody help here pease?
December 6, 2012 3:55:39 PM

anil98433 said:

!