Will a Am3 cpu work on this am2 motherboard?

oneal42

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hello, im gonna try and get a new cpu soon, was thinking about this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103911

but i was wondering if it would work in my motherboard. Model: K2BC51G/PV Bios : Phoenix Tech LTD
version: 6.00PG date:10/24/2006

sorry, but im not exactly sure of the name of my motherboard.

I looked around the internet and i have read that it can work but i cant use ddr3 and if my bios isn't up to date it wont boot. so im not sure if it will work as i can not find a newer update for my bios. Thanks in advance!

also Sorry if this is not in the right forum section :S

Solution
It should work fine with the 'unknown proc' message,
my X3 435 is unlocked and nothing recognises it as an X4 B35 except Cpu-z, still Overclocks like a beast :p
Moto

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
A few questions that would help us:
Is this a pre-built (Gateway, Acer, etc) ?
What is your current processor ?

Your board must use an AM2+ chipset to use AM3 processors, and even then, you're correct, it is restricted to DDR2 ram and may not be supported by the bios.

If it is infact a pre-built machine than you're probably out of luck in general. These machines are usually built with specific hardware in-mind, so upgrades like a new CPU are usually out of the question.

This look familiar ? ...

K2BC51G9.jpg

It's as close as I could get. I think the best you could hope for is that the 95w X3 you selected would work, but not be recognized ('unknown processor').

oneal42

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hay guys, thanks for the reply's, and sorry for my late reply heh, anyways my computer is a pre-built by gateway
Model: gateway gt5228. I looked around a bit more by typing in my model number into google and i found out my motherboard is this.

http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4731

I think.
Here is what cpu-z said under the mainboard tab.
Manufacturer: First International Computer, Inc.
Model:K2BC51G/PV : PCB 1.X
Chipset: Nvidia Geforce 6100 : Rev. A2
Southbridge: Nvidia nforce 410/430 MCP : Rev. A3
LPCIO: SMSC : DME1737

:Bios:
Brand: Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version: 6.00 PG
date: 10/24/2006

My cpu is a "AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+"

Hopefully that is correct :D

I also tried and looked for a newer update then 2006 but i could not find one :(
So ima guss that i cant use that cpu in my motherboard? if that's so do you guys know of a cpu which is better then the amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ which i could buy for 100 or less? I would just buy myself a new motherboard along with the cpu but money is kinda tight, max is $100 atm.

Thanks guys agin for help :D im pretty lost on this.

I don't know if it will work, but if it does operate as 'unknown' it should not impact performance.

There are models which may be available to you that have less power demands -- including 89w and 65w Brisbanes.

oneal42

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Thanks man for the reply, but ima just fork up some extra dough and get a newer motherboard heh. Just don't whana take the chance of it not working :S Thanks alot tho :D