Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory speed question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2012 8:55:37 AM

Hello,
I built a new Intel i5-2400 comp with all the bells and whistles for my wife. The problem I ran into is, the p.o.s is slower than my old Phenom II 940 on socket AM2+.

Now, as far as these two computers go, I always build with what I know works and try to use the same parts in every build. The video cards are the same (Radeon 6670), power supplies are the same, similar case, HDD's, etc.

Now, the glaring difference is, the Intel setup has 4GB of DDR3 1333 @ CAS 8, whereas the AMD has 4GB of DDR2 800 @ CAS 4. And I am trying to get my head around this, I know that benchmarks show how "woefully obsolete" the AMD system is, how "amazing" DDR3 is to DDR 2, how "spectacular" the "omgwtfbbqsauce" Sandy Bridge platform is supposed to be...but I just don't see it.

I can run Aion side by side on these computers, and the AMD system will load the game faster, load areas faster, and have a better framerate at HIGHER detail. The Intel system also boots a couple seconds into Win 7 slower, and is slower with browser usage and application usage.

This AMD box had a HD5870 in it (R.I.P), and I got awesome framerates that game review sites couldn't get with "better" rigs. Yet this Intel box cant even get out of of it's own damn way, forget even trying to benchmark it. It honestly feels like a clunky old Pentium 4, or a laptop proc.

So what gives? Is the difference in CL really that huge? Did I just build a dud Intel box? The main question I am really curious about though, is what exactly SHOULD the performance gap be between DDR3-1333@CAS8 and DDR2-800@CAS4?

More about : memory speed question

a c 435 V Motherboard
June 21, 2012 9:22:18 AM

Both systems use the same operating version of windows? Did you do a fresh install of windows with the newer pc? DDR3 is faster overall than ddr2. Your problem may be a program running in the background. You can also disable speedstep (eist) in the bios if you don't need the energy saving feature.
m
l
June 21, 2012 9:15:05 PM

Yeah both on clean installs of Win7-64. The only difference softwarewise is the AMD has Photoshop on it. Any idea where I can get some info on just how much faster DDR3 is supposed to be? According to a thread on Hardware Canucks, DDR2 with X CAS Latency and Y Frequency will perform the same as DDR3 with 2*X Cas and 2*Y Frequency (E.G. DDR2 CL 4 @800Mhz would be the same as DDR3 CL 8 @ 1600Mhz). If that is the case, then the Intel rig, which is 1333Mhz @ CAS 8 is around the same performance from a memory standpoint as 667Mhz @ CAS 4, which is kind of terrible.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2012 2:33:38 PM

From what i know, CAS is the latency in nanoseconds --> read here;
Its to do with the advanced timings and things and makes very little difference in real life (not noticable to any human even in intensive use), the speed of the ram (Mhz) and the bus type (DDR1/2/3) is the main thing here, still check the link to wikipedia above, it's VERY helpful :)  good luck :) 
m
l

Best solution

June 22, 2012 2:37:12 PM

From what i know, CAS is the latency in nanoseconds --> read here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency
Its to do with the advanced timings and things and makes very little difference in real life (not noticable to any human even in intensive use), the speed of the ram (Mhz) and the bus type (DDR1/2/3) is the main thing here, still check the link to wikipedia above, it's VERY helpful :)  good luck :) 
August 21, 2012 8:21:57 AM

CPU was overheating, I guess one of the little Intel heatsink pins had popped out.
m
l
August 21, 2012 8:23:28 AM

Best answer selected by Sovtek37.
m
l
!