Sign in with
Your question

Overheating possibly or bad motherboard reading?

Last response: in CPUs
September 29, 2011 1:01:39 PM

Ok, guys I have been reading forum posts the past few weeks at work in my spare time. I work in the IT field, although not as much now as I use to more of a trainer. Anyways, reading through I found some programs like HWMonitor and Core Temp that monitors temperatures of things like your GPU and CPU using onboard motherboard sensors I believe. I decided to try some out last night and found some interesting things. First things here are my system specs. I built this system approximately a year and a half ago, it's been running solid since then.

Intel Core I7 860 Lynfield 1156 2.8ghz
Asus P7P55D-E P67 Mobo
4gig Corsair Dominator DDR31600mhz
XFX Radeon HD5870 1gig
Corsair HX750 Silver PSU
CoolerMaster HAF 922
Intel X-25M MLC 80Gig SSD
1 TB WD Caviar Black

So after loading up HWMonitor, CoreTemp and AMD Catalyst this is what i found. Under full load (Playing Battlefield 3 beta and Battlefield Bad Company 2) my GPU fan speed is only spinning at about 21-25% running temps of approximately 71C degrees.
Now running Battlefield 3 beta my processor says it is using only about 50% of its complete processing power. BC2 is even less. Anyways using that much of its potential after about 5 minutes my temps shoot sky high up in the 90sC even close to 100C. Now obviously this is WAY TOO HIGH! Anyways so after a little research I found that there were problems with my board monitoring temps. So I went and updated the BIOS I believe it should have fixed this problem. It didn't. The only thing I can think is that possibly the motherboard is not controlling the fans properly. I have both case fans and cpu cooler hooked into the motherboard so it should control fan speeds (I would think). I just can not believe that if this system is running this hot consistently that it would actually still be running here a year and a half later. Now granted I have not taken a can of air and blown it out in a while (I will do that tonight after work). I did do all of the cable management myself when I built the PC so it should have good cooling (I can post pictures later for all to view.)

Also all 3 measuring programs reported the same consistent measurements.

I know this is long but if you made it this far you probably have some idea.
September 29, 2011 1:23:36 PM

Well, touch the cpu heatsink while its running and see if its hot to the touch (it might burn you if its actually 100C so do it fast). I have no idea what the thermal limit is on those processors but i'm sure its less than 100C. So i would guess bad sensor. But if it is overheating, reseat the heatsink with some artic silver 5.
September 29, 2011 3:33:41 PM

I will try touching the HS with the CPU at full load this evening after work. In my search for a resolution I found this article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2468/4

If i read this correctly, does that basically mean that these programs I am using do not correctly calculate the temperature of CPU's?
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
September 29, 2011 4:01:58 PM

First of all For the Intel® Core i7-860 tcase is 72.7c (not really a good # to judge) There will be a shut off in the Bios in most cases that can reach up to about 15c above the the tcase. The processor has a built in shut off called Themtrip# of 125c so worst case is that the processor shuts you down for a while to stop damage to it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 29, 2011 5:09:58 PM

Yes, I know there is a shut off on the Bios after a certain temperature, I could not find at what temperature that is. You say that the processor itself will assume shutdown at 125C. I am assuming you in some way work with Intel so you would be the perfect person to ask. Are my "load" (gaming) temperatures about average or is this something I should look into? I am not overclocking just running stock heat sink, fan and defaults in bios for CPU. I mean it idles in the range of 43C but when it climbs to 90's that scares me.
September 29, 2011 6:51:33 PM

I have just encountered this issue on my rig. I started playing the BF3 beta and started having core heating issues.

Intel i7 930 Processor (4x 2.8GHz - - not O/C'ed)
ASUS P6T SE Motherboard
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 RAM
700 Watt PSU
Aquacool Liquid CPU Cooling System
CoolerMaster HAF 922 Mid Tower

TBH I haven't paid attention too closely too temperatures after I first got it a year and half ago - I recently added the Graphics card.

I was playing BF3 and the PC shut down - I was unsure if I didn't have enough power or if it was a temperature shutdown. So I started monitoring temps. Idle core temps are 55-60 C. Playing BC2 maxed out pushes it to high 70's C. BF3 (beta) pushed Core 0 to between 87 - 90 C! Looking at utilization of the CPUs - core 0 is at a sustained 80%+ - the other 3 cores are about 50%. This type of internal cooling system only buys me a few degrees. What are your suggestions?
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
September 29, 2011 7:13:11 PM

PartialGenious said:
Yes, I know there is a shut off on the Bios after a certain temperature, I could not find at what temperature that is. You say that the processor itself will assume shutdown at 125C. I am assuming you in some way work with Intel so you would be the perfect person to ask. Are my "load" (gaming) temperatures about average or is this something I should look into? I am not overclocking just running stock heat sink, fan and defaults in bios for CPU. I mean it idles in the range of 43C but when it climbs to 90's that scares me.

At 43c at idle with the stock cooler but not out of the question. The shut off in the Bios is generally set at the Tcase +15c. In this case you would be looking at 87c but I have heard of them set as high as 100c. With my Intel Core i7-2600K and the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ I am running low 30c at idle, but is a cooler running CPU then the Intel Core i7-860. Yes I do work for Intel.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 29, 2011 7:40:01 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
At 43c at idle with the stock cooler but not out of the question. The shut off in the Bios is generally set at the Tcase +15c. In this case you would be looking at 87c but I have heard of them set as high as 100c. With my Intel Core i7-2600K and the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ I am running low 30c at idle, but is a cooler running CPU then the Intel Core i7-860. Yes I do work for Intel.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

So my temps (see post above yours) must be insane then? :( 
September 29, 2011 8:01:27 PM

Well I hate to bother you IntelEnthusiast but my main question is are the core operating temperatures 90+C that I am viewing using HWMonitor regular operating ranges for the I7 860 under load? Or should I be looking into an aftermarket cooler as for some reason the cooling from my 200mm fans in the case with stock cooler are not adequate on processor?
September 30, 2011 12:41:53 PM

Thanks for the insight - I've solved my problem.

I checked my liquid cooler and discovered it had kicked the bucket. I bought the Cooler Master cited above for $25 at Fry's and installed it.

Idle temps are 30 C and playing BF3 Beta pushes (heavy load) it to 50 C.

Thanks!

@ PartialGenious - based on my research 90 C is to hot. The Master Cooler CPU is awesome.
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
September 30, 2011 3:25:51 PM

PartialGenious if you are seeing 90+ I would advise that you look into getting a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) or at least get some thermal paste and try to reconnect your HSF with some fresh thermal paste.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 30, 2011 3:37:18 PM

Yea, I appreciate the help guys. More of my laziness than anything. I decided to pop the case open last night. The Case itself was not majorly dirty (I have seen a lot worse) but the heatsink fins were jammed full of dust balls wedged in under the fan. Blew everything out with a can of air and now while running BF3 beta I am in the low to mid 60'sC and Idle in the low 30's. Sorry to annoy you fellas over something so simply stupid and lazy. I guess I should practice what I preach because even though I have a monster case with great cooling it still needs to be cleaned every few months.
!