Atmosf3ar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I m planning to buy a PC. I want it to be future proof for like atleast 3-4 years. Pc will be a gaming one(not hardcore), and for home stuffs..but my priority is future proof and upgradable.
I have 2 options :
a) AMD x6 1100t Be phenom II or some x4 series like x4 970.
Sockets are Am3, so when i intend to upgrade to Bulldozer series which need Am3+.
Shud i buy a mobo Am3+ supported and buy any x4 or x6 processors for now & w8 for bulldozer.
P.S. : I dnt inted to buy any graphics card for now, so i need good inbuilt graphics mobo with am3+ socket.. At low cost..say by Rs 10000 INR .SUGGEST?
Or option B :
Buy Intel i5 2500k(which are LGA 1156 Socket) and w8 for i7 future models which need LGA 2011 Socket. Thus i need a 2011 compatible mobo for upgrading to series like i7 3820 (Lga 2011).. so suggest me which mobo should i buy? mobo shud have internal graphics, 2011 lga and 1156 compatible sockets.. But cost effective..by say Rs 10000 INR?
So for future proof AMD or Intel ? i5 2500k or x6 phenom II 1100T ? Reply asap, as i gotta buy soon :)

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Not current AMD, they are overdue to release a raft of new processors.

Same with intel, though that's later.

ALSO! A new wave of gfx is about to break on our shore, PCIE3.

but if your choice was simply i5 2500k vs x6 phenom, i5 2500k by a long long long way.

Both are meant to share cpu sockets with the next generation of cpu's also for upgradeability.

My advise would be to wait to be honest, if not just for the crash in prices.

Mozart25

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Sandy Bridge-E is dropping, so if you have more than $300 to spend on a CPU--wait, don't buy LGA1366.

If you are under $300, then Intel wins with Sandy Bridge (LGA1155), hands down.

Do be warned that "future proofing" is a misnomer, as you can never proof yourself for the future. You either spend more money less often, and your location on the bell curve of technology changes more (farther out in front to farther behind the curve before you upgrade), or you go for a more moderate/sensible CPU but upgrade more frequently.

As mentioned, there is no such thing as "future proof", but I will give you some info to help you make a decision...

Intel tends to change socket requirements about every two years while AMD will stick with the same socket for at least 3 years (generally speaking). The 1st generation of Core i3/i5/i7 called Clarkdale is socket 1156, the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs are socket 1155 and are not compatible with socket 1156 motherboards. The 1st generation of Ivy Bridge CPUs expected in Q2 2012 will most likely be that last generation to use socket 1155. On the other hand, AMD's socket AM3+ is relatively new and I guess it may survive until 2014/2015.

Ever since Intel came out with the Core 2 Duo CPU back in mid-2006, they have dominated in performance. AMD took the performance crown from Intel sometime back in 2002 I think when they released their Athlon XP Throughbred core CPU. But since mid-2006 it seems that AMD has always been at least 1 generation behind in performance compared to Intel. For example, AMD's Phenom II CPUs are better matched against Intel's Core 2 Duo CPUs, not the Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs.

On the high end, some expect Intel's Ivy Bridge CPUs to be as much as 20% faster than the Sandy Bridge CPUs (clock for clock). To be conservative, I would guess it will be at most 15%. However, this is likely the end of the line for socket 1155. If you want better performance after that then you need to buy a new CPU and motherboard.

AMD's upcoming Bulldozer core CPU (Zambezi) is exepcted to be as fast as Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs; some believe faster. But that is only a guess-timate. You need to wait for benchmarks. However, it was just announced today that Global Foundaries (they manufacture AMD CPUs) are having production problems and may further delay the release of Zambezi CPUs. Originally set for Summer 2011, then August/September, then mid-October, now....

If you are going to build around a Zambezi CPU, then you should be able to upgrade to newer / faster AMD CPUs up to 2014/2015 without the need to buy a new motherboard. However, as I stated before, AMD is generally one generation behind in performance.

If you performance, then the choice will be Intel since they currently hold the performance crown and you can upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on. However, don't wait too long though. Generally speaking within a few / several months after AMD/Intel ends production of a CPU, the price tends to go up as the supply of those CPU will go down. If you want a CPU after the 1st generation of Ivy Bridge, then you will most likely need to upgrade the motherboard as well.

For longevity go with AMD. They are not likely to take performance crown away from Intel, but future upgrades should not require you to buy a new motherboard unless you wait too long.

Intel's performance is notably superior to AMD's. That said, MOST of the tasks for which MOST people use a computer, including gaming, can be competently handled by an AMD Athlon II. It is simply remarkable how powerful a sub-$100 CPU is today.
IMHO, future-resistance is better defined by the motherboard and the features and connectivity it has, than by the CPU (except at the extreme high end). So, also in my opinion (and yes, I put my money where my mouth is), I think the 990FX chipset is the most future-resistant out there, but Z68 isn't too far behind, and in any case a PCI or PCIE x1 expansion card may provide additional interface types if you need them.
Consider what you mean by "future resistance," as that should define where your focus needs to be. Intel has the performance, which Bulldozer may or may not surpass or equal, but if performance isn't your only measure, study the differences in motherboards and chipsets.