Sign in with
Your question

P67 problem: onboard LAN no longer detected

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2012 12:39:09 PM

Hello,
I recently upgraded my 6 year old computer, acquiring these brand new components:

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 (original BIOS version 1.10)
Microprocessor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz Box Socket 1155
RAM memory: (16 GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 4x4GB CL9 1.35V
Power supply: Corsair GS700 700W Gaming Series
Graphic card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Main disk (solid): 1 x Crucial M4 256GB SSD SATA3
Secondary disks: 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA3 64MB (mirrored)

Everything was going smooth for nearly a week, when this weird problem started to happen.. I spent the last 4 days trying to take over this by myself, but I give up, definitely I need some help. These are the facts so far:

INSTALLATION

I installed all the components successfully. The chosen OS was "Windows 7 64 bits". For a few days, everything worked as expected (and way faster than my old computer!). Every component had its own drivers installed and updated.

PROBLEM

After a few days, the on-board NIC (a "Realtek RTL8111E") began to cause problems. The first time I noticed this, the computer was suspended and when I woke it up, no internet connection was found. I tried several times to reset and even turn it off, with no luck. The worst part is that I realized the Device Manager in Windows would no longer detect the NIC hardware itself..
Note: I don´t know if this is important, but when the NIC worked, I think I remember its lights were green/yellow, now it´s always orange/yellow.

ACTIONS TAKEN

I tried every solution I found on several forums related to this problem, including:

• - Reinstalling NIC drivers, included in the original mobo CD, and even with the ones I found on ASRock website. Unuseful, because as no device is detected by the system, the drivers couldn´t be applied. In fact, the message received when I try to run the on-board NIC driver setup is "The Realtrek Network Controller was not found. If Deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable".

• - Looked for the infamous "Accusys Inc. - Storage - ACS-6xxxx" driver on the installed Windows updates, that seems to block the LAN cards somehow. But it wasn´t installed (I really hope it was that easy...).

• - Installing a working extra LAN card (PCI), to check if that would give internet connection. When restarting, Windows was able to detect it, and (surprise!) it also detected the on-board device again! So i quickly installed its drivers, and deactivated the option (in the device manager) that allowed the network devices to enter a "save energy" mode (possibly related to the previous message, as I read somewhere). For at least 24 hours, both LAN cards were working perfectly, but four days ago, everything failed again: none of the cards were detected by the system after a reboot.. This is the best approach I made in all these days.

• - Unplugging the power supply cable for hours, waiting for the mobo components to discharge, forcing them to "wake up" if they were in Deep Sleep mode (as I also read in posts related to the first point). No results.

• - Setting the on-board LAN as "DISABLED" in BIOS. Rebooting, setting it as "ENABLED" and rebooting again. No results.

• - Clearing CMOS, also taking off the small round battery from the mobo. Still no on-board or PCI LAN devices detected.

• - Upgrading BIOS from 1.10 to 2.20. Still no results.

• - Extreme measure: reinstalling Windows 7 64 bits from the beginning. Sadly, the on-board NIC was still not detected (nor the PCI card.... weird), so no drivers could be installed.

• - Trying a WIFI USB stick to verify if internet has gone forever on this machine... It worked fine, so it seems the problem is just related to PCI and on-board LAN cards.

At this point, my conclusions are as following:

• - I always thought this was a software/OS problem (as I was able to use the NIC without problem for a week) blaming some strange Windows Update..

• - Anyway it makes no sense that the PCI card isn´t working too.. It worked at first, but now is not detected, as the on-board one. Is this mobo frying everything it touches?? The other PCI I can test (the graphic card), works well, so I think it´s not PCI-related.

• - If I´m facing a hardware problem and the mobo is not working as it should, maybe I could verify it by using one or more LIVECD´s, with tools that can tell me what´s inside (and what not). But I can´t find any "device manager" in UBUNTU 12, and the livecd of WinXP I tried does not return a reliable information, as the device manager seems unable to detect properlly even the working devices. I don´t trust them too much... Any recommended tool for this task? I think this is key for further steps: to verify if the hardware is really there.

• - If the LIVECD´s tools can´t find the hardware... I better be unmounting the whole machine and send the mobo to RMA (I better not think about how much time can take to have it returned and working fine.. my hardware nightmare coming true).

Is there any simpler step I am missing?
    How could I check for sure what hardware is detected?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this..
    a c 716 V Motherboard
    June 21, 2012 12:55:20 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Hmm...if you have (2) NIC's fail then the first thing that pops in my mind is either the CAT-5/6 cable is bad or improperly wired <or> the 'router' or 'switch' etc is improperly providing the correct voltage.

Try a different cable and make sure it's seated properly on both ends. Typically if uninstalling (Device Manager) and re-installing fails then I start looking at both wiring and other Devices.

I wire mine and use T568B - http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html
    June 21, 2012 1:01:02 PM

Oh, I forgot to say something about the wire.. I tried two different cables. No luck with any of them. The same cables work well on a laptop. Anyway, the device is not detected by Windows, so I think we can forget about the cable as an explanation.

Thanks anyway, Jaquith!
    Related resources
    a c 716 V Motherboard
    June 21, 2012 1:40:22 PM

You can rule-out the cable, I'd look a tad more at the cables. 9/10 your 'laptop' is a 10 maybe a 100 Mbps (10/100) whereas the 'ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3' or NIC card is a 1 Gbps - gigabit (1000BaseT) ... not to mention the Device (Router/Switch/HUB) the NIC's are connected.

IF you had only the MOBO fail then sure the likelihood of failure would be the MOBO, but to also have a separate NIC Card fail screams something else is the problem.

Q - What Device is the PC connected to? ; (Router/Switch/HUB)
    Q - What's printed on the cable? ; needs to be CAT 5e/6 minimum and NOT a Crossover Cable.
    June 21, 2012 5:40:37 PM

jaquith said:
    You can rule-out the cable, I'd look a tad more at the cables. 9/10 your 'laptop' is a 10 maybe a 100 Mbps (10/100) whereas the 'ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3' or NIC card is a 1 Gbps - gigabit (1000BaseT) ... not to mention the Device (Router/Switch/HUB) the NIC's are connected.

IF you had only the MOBO fail then sure the likelihood of failure would be the MOBO, but to also have a separate NIC Card fail screams something else is the problem.

Q - What Device is the PC connected to? ; (Router/Switch/HUB)
    Q - What's printed on the cable? ; needs to be CAT 5e/6 minimum and NOT a Crossover Cable.

Jaquith,

The laptop/notebook is a Macbook Pro with a 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet adapter (RJ-45). And the cables work fine on it. The wire is not the problem, I´m pretty sure about that. All my WIFI devices are working as always, too, so the router is not the origin of this, neither..

But even if it was, the main problem is still that the NIC is not detected anymore at the device manager. So it´s impossible to update its drivers or create a connection. No doubt that is weird the PCI card isn´t detected neither..

The fact is that Windows can´t seem able to detect the NIC, which must be the only LAN adapter present in the machine (for ventilation issues I won´t use a PCI card, also we are talking about a 12 days old product, I can´t surrender so quick with this, that NIC should work somehow).

I wonder why it is not being detected after a whole week working without problem..
    a b V Motherboard
    June 21, 2012 6:08:00 PM

spacorum said:

• - Installing a working extra LAN card (PCI), to check if that would give internet connection. When restarting, Windows was able to detect it, and (surprise!) it also detected the on-board device again!

• You should try this again but with the onboard NIC disabled. First go into the BIOS and disable the onboard NIC. Then Uninstall the PCI LAN card drivers. Then shut down, unplug from wall and remove the PCI LAN card from the machine and reboot. Then do a full shut down and unplug the machine from the wall again. Then reinstall the PCI LAN card in the machine, boot-up and install its drivers. If it can't see the PCI LAN card then indeed something else seems to be killing your NICs.

This won't fix your onboard but it may help indicate whether there was a problem with your onboard conflicting with the PCI LAN card. It's just strange that suddenly the onboard appeared again when the PCI card was added but both stopped working soon after.

Edit: And I pretty much agree with urban legend above: If you want working onboard LAN then you should RMA that mobo.
    a c 716 V Motherboard
    June 21, 2012 7:11:07 PM

spacorum said:
    The fact is that Windows can´t seem able to detect the NIC, which must be the only LAN adapter present in the machine (for ventilation issues I won´t use a PCI card, also we are talking about a 12 days old product, I can´t surrender so quick with this, that NIC should work somehow).

I wonder why it is not being detected after a whole week working without problem..

Try booting in Safe Mode and re-scan if the NIC or (NIC's) are present; see - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-...

If the Device Manager lacks the NIC or any {? or !} listed items then RMA the MOBO. The 'odd' thing is your PCIe NIC Card -- my only 2nd guess is a MOBO or PSU issue -- something's 'killing' the NIC(s).
    January 3, 2013 10:39:03 PM

Hi
    I can totally relate to your problem. I have the same thing with the yellow and orange LED , and adapter "suddenly" stopped being recognized in the device manager. I tried all of the above and none has worked yet. I did not however try connecting another *external* network card, but that would be my next step. Seeing how that worked out in your case, I might still reconsider buying one. Please tell me if you have solved the problem and if yes, then how.

Regards

Jay
    !