Is it worth me buying an i7 2600k

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hi, I was wondering whether I would see any improvement upgrading to an i7 2600K. I already have a decent system, but was thinking about upgrading.

Current system:

i7 950 @ 3.6
12 Gig ddr3 1600
MSI X58 M/B
2 x GTX 570 Sli
OCZ 850 PSU
OCZ 180 SSD
Nvidia 3d kit

Is it worth changing the processor, ram & board to an i7 2600k setup?

Would I notice much difference? or should I wait for the new intel processors next year?

Pc is only used for gaming.

Thanks

sailer

Splendid
You might save a bit on power requirements, but other than that, my answer would be not to upgrade at this time. I doubt you would see any difference at all. If you want more performance, try boosting the overclock a bit. I have 920s in three of my computers and can easily get 4.0ghz out of them. You should be able to get about 4ghz out of your 950 chip.

No, not really. Perhaps an upgrade to Ivy Bridge will be better, but well have to wait for benchmarks.

Generally speaking, Sandy Bridge CPUs are about 11% faster than the 1st generation Clarkdale CPUs at the same clockspeed. On the high-end, the word on the street is Ivy Bridge could be up to 20% faster than Sandy Bridge CPUs at the same clockspeed. To be conservative, I would expect a 10% - 15% performance increase compared to Sandy Bridge.

That's actually a powerful computer. Why would you even want to consider buying something new now?

Your computer should last at least until this time next year - heck even for a couple of years (many more for non gaming).

I would say the only thing you might need to change in the future is maybe some newer graphics cards....but your setup is already ace.