Sign in with
Your question

Intel Xeon Problems!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 29, 2011 2:52:44 PM

Hi all

I really need your input on this one. Just as soon as I think that I have got the hang of which Xeon is best for my needs (just need to be a good server to run multiple thread submissions and multi task) I wont name the software as I dont want to look like an affiliate! I just need some good old fashioned advice from experts. I thought I had a clue about this after extensive research but, I realise that I am back where I started!

The processor will handle data only. I am not interested in the extra graphic capabilities to run games, windows 7, after affects, etc.

I am looking at buying a second hand HP XW6000 but I am struggling to see witch Xeon is the best for my needs.

I have dual core, single core with HT, 2 processors with single core but with with HT, all being thrown at me

I just need to know what which Xeon is the best? from these ebay links:

Or are they all crap! and I am looking at the wrong system.

Is the HT on old system that will run slower?

Many thanks in advance guys. I really appreciate your advice. Derogatory or otherwise (hopefully the latter)

chat soon.

Trumes

More about : intel xeon problems

a c 190 à CPUs
September 29, 2011 3:50:24 PM

These are really old systems with processors that are using the Intel® Netbrust® microarchitecture (same as used on the Intel Pentium® 4). As to where you need to be in for a processor, the big question is, is the software you are planning to use multi-threaded and if so how many threads can it support? Also what is your budget?

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 29, 2011 5:41:01 PM

Hi Christian

Thanks for your swift reply, Its appreciated.

The software can apparently handle over 90 threads in 50 individual browsers! If this makes any sense mate.

With regards to budget - I have about £300 - 350 max.

I know its tight but, time are tight :S

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Steve
September 29, 2011 5:57:51 PM

BTW- If I would notice a considerable difference, I am sure I could ask the bank manager to stretch to £700.
!