AMD Manufacturing Problems

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
AMD recently lowered Q3 earnings forecast due to manufacturing problems at Global Foundries which is seriously impacting the number of chips they can produce. link

Does anyone have any idea if this is going to further delay the BD release? It sure is tanking stock price today.

While Bulldozer (Zambezi) was not mentioned in the article, I would say that it is safe to assume production of those CPUs will be impacted as well.

As the article mentioned, AMD is only paying Global Foudaries for working CPUs rather than total production so it is in GF's best interest to improve quality control.

While unfortunate, quality control sometimes takes a dive after retooling fabs for new CPU architectures and die shrinks.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Doubtful. They are only talking about Llano and 45nm. The 45nm problems are probably lack of tools. GF is tooling up for 28\22\20nm so I would imaging there isn't much room for 45nm lines.

leon2006

Distinguished
They have this problem since Jan 0f 2009 when the very first DIE rev of Llano came out w/ a lot of issue due to 32 nm process.

32nm is pain for AMD for more than 2 years now.

Welcome to reality when it comes to this industry and sometimes there complications. for us it is best to just wait and ride it all out. I don't want crap when I am in the mood or need to purchase new gear.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

That's not what that site says. It says Llano and 45nm. llano is the first 32nm GPU, first HKMG CPU and the first SOI GPU. Of course it has issues.