First Build : $500-$600 Gaming PC

This is my first build and i am looking for advice. I want a decent gaming pc for games like Battlefield: Bad Company 3 and Far Cry 3. Thanks in advance.
22 answers Last reply
More about first build gaming
  1. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
    ^Fill out this form
    And Battlefield 3 is coming out, not Bad Company 3
  2. r0aringdrag0n said:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice
    ^Fill out this form
    And Battlefield 3 is coming out, not Bad Company 3


    Sorry, my mistake. Going to fill the form.
  3. Approximate Purchase Date: Within 2 weeks

    Budget Range: 500-600 Before / After Rebates

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: JAVA Programming, Gaming,
    Surfing the internet

    Parts Not Required: Speakers, OS

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com,
    tigerdirect.com

    Country of Origin: India

    Parts Preferences: Intel Core processor and Gigabyte Mobo

    Overclocking: Maybe

    SLI or Crossfire: Yes

    Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

    Additional Comments: Should be between / around $500 and $600.

    Hope i filled that correctly.
  4. much better, here:
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k $220
    MoBo: MSI H61M-E33 $70
    PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 $60
    CASE: NZXT Gamma GAMA-001BK $37
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS $40
    RAM: Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL 4gb $39
    Graphics: Radeon HD 5670 $80
    DVD-ROM: SONY Black 18X DDU1681S-0B $17
    Total: $563

    ^ I know it's not a Gigabyte MoBo, but MSI is good too
  5. MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128500

    CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

    GPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

    PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    Comes to $700- quick rough spec up, but if you want to be playing battlefield at highest settings then you are going to need something like this I would say, so maybe save a little more?

    This build is pretty futureproof though as supports SLI down the line with the best CPU price to performance wise out atm.
  6. As Bora said, to play any game on High nowadays, you need a gaming rig that is at least $800
  7. Thanks for your advice Bora63 and r0aringdrag0n.
    I can upgrade later this year but right now its $600.
    BTW, what is the storage capacity of Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS.
  8. Should be 500GB.
    I disagree with Roaring though, it'd be better for you to go with an AMD route in your case. Mainly because it's cheaper for CF mobos and overclocking chips are cheaper too.

    Can you give us a site where you will be shopping? And the amount in rupees that you'll be spending.

    But otherwise...
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $115
    MSI 870S-G46 - $78
    MSI Cyclone 6850 - $170
    Mushkin 4GB DDR3 1600 - $41
    Antec EA650 - $75
    Seagate 500gb - $40
    HAF 912 - $60
    DVD/CD Drive - $20
    Total - $599
  9. Thanks for your suggestion aznshinobi. AMD Phenom II X4 955 is a good processor but not comparable to 2500K. The price doesn't matter as long as it performs better.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=288

    OK, I will be getting a Core i5 2500K.
  10. aznshinobi said:
    Should be 500GB.
    I disagree with Roaring though, it'd be better for you to go with an AMD route in your case. Mainly because it's cheaper for CF mobos and overclocking chips are cheaper too.

    Can you give us a site where you will be shopping? And the amount in rupees that you'll be spending.

    But otherwise...
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 - $115
    MSI 870S-G46 - $78
    MSI Cyclone 6850 - $170
    Mushkin 4GB DDR3 1600 - $41
    Antec EA650 - $75
    Seagate 500gb - $40
    HAF 912 - $60
    DVD/CD Drive - $20
    Total - $599


    I will be shopping from http://www.smcinternational.in. My budget is Rs. 30,000.
  11. my build (see my signature) is a solid $600 machine. No overclock, but it doesn't need it.

    With settings maxxed out, it gets 62 fps in APB Reloaded, 54 In Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Vegas, 24 in Second Life, 120 in DC Heroes Online, 55 in Bulletstorm, and 34 in the Unigine benchmark..
  12. Asif, do you realize that gaming isn't about CPU power it is about GPU power? You'd be getting less frames running a 5670+2500K than a 955+6850. Also, with Roaring's option, H61 restricts overclocking so that's a no go, and also you wouldn't be able to Crossfire in the future.

    The 955 is sufficient for anyone, even instense gamers. My 955 runs Photoshop and BC2 well as well as any game I through at it. I'm not ignorant on the subject, I know that the 2500K is better. But the 955 is better for your budget.

    Your link is also a dead link.
  13. aznshinobi said:
    Asif, do you realize that gaming isn't about CPU power it is about GPU power? You'd be getting less frames running a 5670+2500K than a 955+6850. Also, with Roaring's option, H61 restricts overclocking so that's a no go, and also you wouldn't be able to Crossfire in the future.

    The 955 is sufficient for anyone, even instense gamers. My 955 runs Photoshop and BC2 well as well as any game I through at it. I'm not ignorant on the subject, I know that the 2500K is better. But the 955 is better for your budget.

    Your link is also a dead link.

    I will second this, so many novice's build budget "gaming computers" that focus on sacrificing the gpu for a faster cpu, forgetting that any modern cpu can run any game out there.
  14. zooted said:
    I will second this, so many novice's build budget "gaming computers" that focus on sacrificing the gpu for a faster cpu, forgetting that any modern cpu can run any game out there.


    OK Guys, I have changed my mind now, not because of you. I just researched more on the net after choosing 2500K as i wanted a future-proof system and found that Phenom II X4 965 BE is still good enough, better than 955. What do you think?

    For @aznshinobi here is the url again :
    http://www.smcinternational.in
    Also, don't you think 6850 is too expensive? Please suggest a cheaper GPU.
  15. Asif, the 6850 isn't expensive. Though I'm referring to the US, not India. In the US, it isn't expensive. 965 isn't worth it. The 955 will perform the same and can overclock the same.

    GPU: http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1535&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=91
  16. http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1170&category_id=31&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=76

    It supports AM3+ so you'll have an upgrade path. Cheaper too.

    Just get the 955... Seriously I feel as though you think our input is invalid.
  17. The Gigabyte Mobo you suggested requires an ATX 8-pin 12V power connector. So, i will have to buy a PSU specially for this one. Is that future-proofed?

    The asus mobo only requires a 4-pin atx power connector:
    http://www.smcinternational.in/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=1555&category_id=7&keyword=Asus+M4A88T-M&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73

    Please clear me on that.
  18. Any recent power supply should have the 8 Pin. Only ancient ones wouldn't. The M4A88T-M doesn't look like it supports AM3+ which is why I recommend the GB instead.
  19. I completely disagree with the guy that said you'd need an $800+ rig to play games on high settings, mine cost less than 500 and I an run any game on max settings with a smooth FPS. Nvidia 460 GTX is an amazing card for the price.
  20. Yes, u r right. Asus one doesn't support AM3+ that i found later.
    Now, I will buy the GB Mobo. Which PSU should i look for?
  21. The best cheap one is the CX430 from Corsair, the Antec 520w Neo Eco or the Antec BP550 are also good choices.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Battlefield Systems Product