tetsuoasaki

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hey there, so im getting a new computer (a build yourself one) and i was wondering if i could run WoW(world of warcraft) on ultra settings (or at least high) with high fps with this set up. Any imput would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
These are the specs---
-------
CPU- Intel Core i3-2100 LGA 1155 3.1GHz boxed processor

GPU- ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP 768MB GeForce GTX 460

Mobo- ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Motherboard

PSU- Cooler Master Elite eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500 watt

RAM- PNY XLR8 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM Model MD4096KD3-1600-X8

HDD- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0gb/s

Op. drive- ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN OEM

OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
-------
so this is the set up, and its only $550 USD, its my first computer and like i said only for WoW, and maybe some schooling seeing as im 15... first computer so i was wondering if this would be a good set up.
Thanks again :)

P.S. This is a DIY computer and would all these parts also fit together and work properly together in the case?

Well, looks like you got a pretty good setup too me for WoW.

Although there is an issue with the psu and gpu combo. The PSU only has 1 pci-e 6 pin connector. You'll need 2 to run the gpu. Now, you might be able to get away with using the molex to pci-e converter on the psu/ gpu (comes with the gpu) but i would recommend getting something that already has at least 2 pci-e 6 connectors.

If you can stretch the budget a little, I would recommend this PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

It actually has 2 PCI-e 6 + 2 pins (meaning it can be attached to two 6, 8 pins ports or one 6 pin and 8 pin ports on a single gpu.)

So this PSU will give more gpu upgrade options in the future when you need to.

It's also 80Plus certified which means in the long run, your family will save money on the electric bill by not having the PSU wasting watts.

Last but not least, it has a 3 year limited warranty vs 2 for your chose. That's 1 extra year of being able to return the PSU if you have any issues with it. ;)

Other than that. you got a really good build there for your needs. :)

Now we cant promise to be running at very high settings all the time. While i dont play WoW, i do hear those raids can slow down even on the best computers.

Probably internet connection will be the limitation before the system ever becomes the issue.

Anyways, hope this helps and welcome to tom's forums!