I move computer turns on and off repeatedly

lucasp92

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hey guys,

Just assembled a new PC but when ever i move it the systems restarts, im left clueless!

I swear I have checked every connection even went as far as taping the SATA cable to the hdd down because i thought that was the cause.

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte g1 sniper
Ram: 16gb G skill ram
VGA: 2x evga 1.5gb 580gtx in SLI
hdd: 1tb wd caviar
PSU: 1000w thortech thunderbolt
cpu: intel 2600k i7 1155 socket

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appeciated!

leon2006

Distinguished
Looks like a short circuit somewhere or a lose connection

Check your PSU connection on the Motherboard

Also look at your connection to the reset/power buttons from the case to the motherboard.

Did you install the insulator washer for the standoffs?

harleybearsd

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Ive seen this many many times,,
Some power supplies have pins in the AC power connector that are smaller "skinner" than others.
If you use a different power cable than the one that comes with it, it will be loose.
What I do to correct this is to use pliers to give a slight twist to the pins inside the power connector on the power supply.

from this | | to this / \
--------- o -------- o

just not quite that much.

Hope that helps

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Thortech make awesome PSUs. Just because you haven't heard of the company doesn't mean it's unknown. Check
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=222
for a review of a 1200Watt Thortech PSU.

As already stated, the powercord could be loose. Are you actually using the one that came with the PSU?

lucasp92

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Hey guys,

This problem has been resolved, thanks a lot for your help it allowed me to rule out heaps of possibilities.

You wouldn't believe what caused it - A dodgy reset button on the case. The case is a $300 Thermaltake level 10 gt. I noticed that whenever I moved the case the system would restart, this had me so puzzled that I literally fault found every bit of the pc, unconnecting everything and starting it up then moving my system to see if it would restart, eventually I looked at the front of my case and noticed the reset button is broken and has been permanently pressed in.

Long story shot I disconnected the reset switch from the motherboard and my system never restarts when I move the case again. The problem would only occur whenever I moved the case and not when it was still, so the slightest movement were somehow enough to engage the reset button.

Thanks again.