I move computer turns on and off repeatedly

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hard Drives
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 29, 2011 5:58:06 PM

Hey guys,

Just assembled a new PC but when ever i move it the systems restarts, im left clueless!

I swear I have checked every connection even went as far as taping the SATA cable to the hdd down because i thought that was the cause.

Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte g1 sniper
Ram: 16gb G skill ram
VGA: 2x evga 1.5gb 580gtx in SLI
hdd: 1tb wd caviar
PSU: 1000w thortech thunderbolt
cpu: intel 2600k i7 1155 socket

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appeciated!

More about : move computer turns repeatedly

Best solution

a c 104 ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 6:06:46 PM

Sounds like a short, all standoffs in right place etc?
Theres a troubleshooter in homebuild if you want to run through that
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-post...
Moto
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 8:51:24 PM

Looks like a short circuit somewhere or a lose connection

Check your PSU connection on the Motherboard

Also look at your connection to the reset/power buttons from the case to the motherboard.

Did you install the insulator washer for the standoffs?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2011 8:52:24 PM

I'm not confident w/ your PSU... It may not be the problem but un-known brand PSU is always a suspect.
m
l
September 29, 2011 9:13:44 PM

Ive seen this many many times,,
Some power supplies have pins in the AC power connector that are smaller "skinner" than others.
If you use a different power cable than the one that comes with it, it will be loose.
What I do to correct this is to use pliers to give a slight twist to the pins inside the power connector on the power supply.

from this | | to this / \
--------- o -------- o

just not quite that much.

Hope that helps

m
l
September 29, 2011 9:17:33 PM

the diagram didn't come out the way I wanted , the "o"s are the ground connections and the "| | and / \" are the hot and neutral connectors.
m
l
September 29, 2011 10:11:09 PM

leon2006 said:
I'm not confident w/ your PSU... It may not be the problem but un-known brand PSU is always a suspect.

Thortech make awesome PSUs. Just because you haven't heard of the company doesn't mean it's unknown. Check
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
for a review of a 1200Watt Thortech PSU.

As already stated, the powercord could be loose. Are you actually using the one that came with the PSU?
m
l
October 7, 2011 8:34:35 AM

Hey guys,

This problem has been resolved, thanks a lot for your help it allowed me to rule out heaps of possibilities.

You wouldn't believe what caused it - A dodgy reset button on the case. The case is a $300 Thermaltake level 10 gt. I noticed that whenever I moved the case the system would restart, this had me so puzzled that I literally fault found every bit of the pc, unconnecting everything and starting it up then moving my system to see if it would restart, eventually I looked at the front of my case and noticed the reset button is broken and has been permanently pressed in.

Long story shot I disconnected the reset switch from the motherboard and my system never restarts when I move the case again. The problem would only occur whenever I moved the case and not when it was still, so the slightest movement were somehow enough to engage the reset button.

Thanks again.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 7, 2011 1:25:32 PM

No probs man, monir things can often seem like a disaster in building hehe, now get onto TT customer care and arrange your replacement switch :-)
Moto
m
l
October 14, 2011 1:30:15 AM

Best answer selected by lucasp92.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 14, 2011 2:39:55 AM

Thank you for B.a man, hopefully your sorted now?
Moto
m
l
!