Weird ASUS v2.1 Dongle / Apple Bluetooth Keyboard Problem

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Keyboards
  • Bluetooth
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 29, 2011 6:24:03 PM

Set up a new build about a month ago, and shortly after purchased the Asus Bluetooth v2.1 Dongle to go with my Mac bluetooth keyboard since PC's don't have the built in bluetooth like Macs.

Installed the utility disc that came with the Asus dongle, and got the keyboard working with no problems. Installed UAWKs (unofficial apple wireless keyboard support) to get more mac--->PC button functionality.

Fast forward a day or so, Apple keyboard stops functioning but still shows up as connected via bluetooth. I go into device manager, troubleshoot the Asus dongle (no errors reported w/ keyboard) and it automatically starts reinstalling the Asus driver but then says "cannot reinstall driver"

Puzzled, I restart the computer and upon login, the keyboard works fine again...until it stops working a day later, to my eternal annoyance...

About half the time this happens, the keyboard will get stuck on a key (either "u" or the up arrow) and then become unresponsive. I restart and it works perfectly again.

I've already tried uninstalling the drivers and installing the WIDCOMM driver from the asus website, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. (maybe I am doing this wrong)

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this a problem with the Asus dongle, the driver(s), or the keyboard itself?

Thanks so much

More about : weird asus dongle apple bluetooth keyboard problem

January 2, 2012 9:49:31 AM

I'm having the same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

soggywafflez said:
Set up a new build about a month ago, and shortly after purchased the Asus Bluetooth v2.1 Dongle to go with my Mac bluetooth keyboard since PC's don't have the built in bluetooth like Macs.

Installed the utility disc that came with the Asus dongle, and got the keyboard working with no problems. Installed UAWKs (unofficial apple wireless keyboard support) to get more mac--->PC button functionality.

Fast forward a day or so, Apple keyboard stops functioning but still shows up as connected via bluetooth. I go into device manager, troubleshoot the Asus dongle (no errors reported w/ keyboard) and it automatically starts reinstalling the Asus driver but then says "cannot reinstall driver"

Puzzled, I restart the computer and upon login, the keyboard works fine again...until it stops working a day later, to my eternal annoyance...

About half the time this happens, the keyboard will get stuck on a key (either "u" or the up arrow) and then become unresponsive. I restart and it works perfectly again.

I've already tried uninstalling the drivers and installing the WIDCOMM driver from the asus website, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. (maybe I am doing this wrong)

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is this a problem with the Asus dongle, the driver(s), or the keyboard itself?

Thanks so much

m
l
January 2, 2012 8:38:06 PM

atlantakh said:
I'm having the same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

Nope...ended up just getting a new keyboard, I'd recommend returning the apple one. Its just not worth the agony
m
l