Closed Solved

CF still need dp adapter?

CrossFire with a pair of 5770 still need display ports for eyefinity?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about adapter
  1. Best answer
    Nope. You only need DP adapters if you're running more than 2 monitors off of a SINGLE card. If you have two cards, you can run up to 4 monitors w/out DP adapters.

Mind you, you would need ACTIVE DP adapters if you ever decided to run more than 2 monitors off of a single card, even if you have two cards. Passive adapters wouldn't work in that situation.
  2. ^yeah, you don't need DP adapters if you have CF setup, only if you run 4+ monitors
  3. Actually, I'm wrong:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314760-33-tomshardware#t2353258

There's another thread about this too. If you do have a CF setup, you DO need freaking DP adapters. That's some lame S#!7 right there.
  4. borisof007 said:
    Actually, I'm wrong:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314760-33-tomshardware#t2353258

There's another thread about this too. If you do have a CF setup, you DO need freaking DP adapters. That's some lame S#!7 right there.

Great.However i also want to know can SLI run 3 monitors using dvi yes?Can SLi have 4 monitors?
  5. active mini-dp ---> dvi adapters cost $30 on newegg if you are worried about having to spend $100 on an adapter. Do NOT spend $100 on an active display adapter! They can be had for much cheaper.

Can sli run 3 monitors using dvi? Yes, the newer cards can. 4 monitors is not supported, unless you run them non-sli.
  6. Supermuncher85 said:
    active mini-dp ---> dvi adapters cost $30 on newegg if you are worried about having to spend $100 on an adapter. Do NOT spend $100 on an active display adapter! They can be had for much cheaper.

Can sli run 3 monitors using dvi? Yes, the newer cards can. 4 monitors is not supported, unless you run them non-sli.

I thought active dvi to dp converters are only able to run eyefinity
  7. In most cases to run eyefinity you would first use the two dvi connections on the back. Once they are used you MUST use an active dp -> dvi/hdmi/dp cable to use eyefinity.

Hope that clarifies the question.
  8. SLi can run 3 monitors using DVI. It's AMD's limitation that requires the Displayport adapter for the 3rd monitor.
  9. Seems to be some confusion here...

Eyefinity needs a displayport output for anything more than 2 monitors. There are 2 types of DP to DVI/HDMI adapters, active and passive. You need an active adapter. Within the active adapter area, there are 2 more types: Single Link and Dual Link. Single Link will handle up to 1080p (or maybe 1920x1200) and is around $30-40. Dual Link handles up to 2560x1600 and is $130.

SLI "surround vision" works differently. Whereas CF you can only use outputs on the top card, with SLI you can use the outputs on both cards. Each card can support 2 outputs, so you can plug 2 monitors into the top card's DVI/HDMI outputs and 1 into the bottom card (assuming they have those outputs).
  10. That's exactly what I tried saying, but you typed it a tad more eloquently than I could.
  11. Haha! You meant well though!

I think Wolfram's post needs to be a sticky somewhere.
  12. Man, with all these questions about triple monitor setups today, I wonder if others are taking part in the crazy priced 27.5" Hanns-G monitors on NewEgg.

SALE ENDS TODAY FOLKS!!
  13. Best answer selected by zulfadhli.
  14. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire Graphics Displays