Why no good deals on AA NiMH batteries?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 10, 2005 8:41:05 PM

I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on good
quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store. Example,
a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's
the deal?

Of course for ordering over the internet you need to add shipping
charges. And this is how many eBay sellers make up for low product
prices, by charging excessively for shipping. But still, I've always
been able to beat local retail prices on everything *except* AA NiMH
batteries. Why is this? What's so different about batteries?

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:41:06 PM

In article <RE%Xd.2638$ZB6.300@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
"Bruce W.1" <sorry@noDirectEmail.com> wrote:

> I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on good
> quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
> batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store. Example,
> a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's
> the deal?
>
> Of course for ordering over the internet you need to add shipping
> charges. And this is how many eBay sellers make up for low product
> prices, by charging excessively for shipping. But still, I've always
> been able to beat local retail prices on everything *except* AA NiMH
> batteries. Why is this? What's so different about batteries?
>
> Thanks for your help.

How is this?

Ansmann NIMH AA SPECIAL!

5030172 NiMh AA cells 1650 mAh, packed 2 cells to a card, 12 cards to a
box, Minimum of 6 cards (12 cells) $2.00 per card of 2 cells!

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

"Bruce W.1" <sorry@noDirectEmail.com> wrote in message
> I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on good
> quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
> batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store. Example, a
> local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's the
> deal?
>
> Of course for ordering over the internet you need to add shipping charges.
> And this is how many eBay sellers make up for low product prices, by
> charging excessively for shipping. But still, I've always been able to
> beat local retail prices on everything *except* AA NiMH batteries. Why is
> this? What's so different about batteries?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Keep looking. I've seen them at MCM as low as $1 each -- new. There's also
a site where a guy tests and rates NiMH batteries. There is a difference
between brands, and don't forget they come in different ratings.

As far as shipping on eBay -- let the buyer beware!
Related resources
March 10, 2005 9:53:34 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:41:05 GMT
In message <RE%Xd.2638$ZB6.300@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>
"Bruce W.1" <sorry@noDirectEmail.com> wrote:

> ... good deals...quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex
> ... for $10.00. What's the deal?

Thomas Distributing
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs_buy.php3

Jeff
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 9:57:41 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:41:05 GMT, "Bruce W.1" <sorry@noDirectEmail.com> wrote:

>I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on good
>quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
>batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store. Example,
>a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's
>the deal?

I dunno.....I buy from these guys and have been treated well:
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCAT...
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:17:50 PM

Bruce W.1 wrote:
> I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on good
> quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
> batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store.

Agreed, Costco has AA NiMh 2300 mAh Pansonics, 6 for $13.

Example,
> a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's
> the deal?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:31:36 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> Keep looking. I've seen them at MCM as low as $1 each -- new. There's also
> a site where a guy tests and rates NiMH batteries. There is a difference
> between brands, and don't forget they come in different ratings.
>
> As far as shipping on eBay -- let the buyer beware!

Perhaps you mean this guy:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

I've bought some lousy batteries in my time. So now I stay with brand
names, or at least ones that have undergone testing. You can't trust
what sellers or the manufacturers say about their generic off-brand
batteries.

I just wonder why there isn't more price competition on the good batteries.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:01:32 PM

Bruce W.1 wrote:
> I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on
good
> quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
> batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store.
Example,
> a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's

> the deal?

Thomas-Distributing has 4 Packs of 2300mAH Energizer Batteries for
$8.97 to $8.57 ($2.25-2.15 each).

Costco has 6 packs of 2300mAH Panasonic Batteries for $12.89 ($2.15
each).

Not sure why all of a sudden there are not many good deals anymore.
Costco is doing a booming business in the Panasonic AA batteries,
despite the recall of the Panasonic charger.

The good deals are on the lower capacity, lesser quality batteries
(2000-2100mA), i.e. the Lenmar 2000mAH cells.
March 16, 2005 7:12:06 AM

<scharf.steven@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bruce W.1 wrote:
> > I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on
> good
> > quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
> > batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store.
> Example,
> > a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's
>
> > the deal?
>
> Thomas-Distributing has 4 Packs of 2300mAH Energizer Batteries for
> $8.97 to $8.57 ($2.25-2.15 each).
>
> Costco has 6 packs of 2300mAH Panasonic Batteries for $12.89 ($2.15
> each).
>
> Not sure why all of a sudden there are not many good deals anymore.
> Costco is doing a booming business in the Panasonic AA batteries,
> despite the recall of the Panasonic charger.
>
> The good deals are on the lower capacity, lesser quality batteries
> (2000-2100mA), i.e. the Lenmar 2000mAH cells.

I recently bought a 4pack of 2500mah Energizers for $9.95 at Walmart.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:12:07 AM

"Martin" <cresident41@swfla.rr.com> wrote in message

> <scharf.steven@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Bruce W.1 wrote:
> > > I've searched the internet and eBay high and low for good deals on
> > good
> > > quality AA NiMH batteries, like 2300 Ah Powerex, Energizer, or Sanyo
> > > batteries, but I can get them cheaper at a local retail store.
> > Example,
> > > a local gas station sells four 2300 Ah Energizers for $10.00. What's
> >
> > > the deal?
> >
> > Thomas-Distributing has 4 Packs of 2300mAH Energizer Batteries for
> > $8.97 to $8.57 ($2.25-2.15 each).
> >
> > Costco has 6 packs of 2300mAH Panasonic Batteries for $12.89 ($2.15
> > each).
> >
> > Not sure why all of a sudden there are not many good deals anymore.
> > Costco is doing a booming business in the Panasonic AA batteries,
> > despite the recall of the Panasonic charger.
> >
> > The good deals are on the lower capacity, lesser quality batteries
> > (2000-2100mA), i.e. the Lenmar 2000mAH cells.
> >
> I recently bought a 4pack of 2500mah Energizers for $9.95 at Walmart.

I bought a 20 pack of 2400 mAh XG branded NiMH AA cells at Fry's Electronics
a few weeks ago. They were priced at $37.99 for the 20 pack which comes out
to $1.90 per battery (before tax).

After testing those battery cells in my digital camera--which drained Lenmar
2000 mAh NiMH AA cells as fast as AA Alkaline battery cells--I'm very happy
with the long battery cell life and very short self-discharge rate even when
the cells are left in the camera.

I used a Rayovac PS4 charger to charge them, and they worked just fine
starting with the first charge.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:12:08 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:24:34 -0800, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." <
>I bought a 20 pack of 2400 mAh XG branded NiMH AA cells at Fry's Electronics
>a few weeks ago. They were priced at $37.99 for the 20 pack which comes out
>to $1.90 per battery (before tax).

I buy from these guys, buying a 24 pack yields a price of $1.25/each
for 2300MaH Ni-MH.
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCAT...
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:24:21 AM

You want to croak....Look at CR2..... Picked up..8
NIMH/1850/Energizer.....for 16 bucks..at a Big Lots...Difference? Heck-why
does a bottle of pop cost a buck? when its worth 10 cents......

!