PC hangs while playing a certain game

tangiblebody

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Ok so i recently built my first pc and while playing battlefield 3 beta my pc say about 2,3 mins ingame it freezes and i have to power it down from the switch sometimes it lasts like 10 to 15 mins I dont usually have this problem with other games like counter strike source, crysis 2, crysis or medal of honor but some times it might blue screen saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_EQUAL only occasionly though. I am not sure if this is an hardware problem or something wrong with the bf3 beta.
system specs:
Amd phenom ii x4 820 @ 3.2 ghz oc (i dont think its the oc as i reduced it back to stock and same problem)
6GB DDR3 1066MHZ ram of my old dell
Hd 6950
2 hdds 1 is 640gb 1 is 500gb
gigabyte ud5 990xa mobo
thermeltake V3 black edition chasiss
1 case fan
1 wireless lan card
600w OCZ modxtream psu 80+ certified
Thanks for any help in advance.

slcmike

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Heat issue? Have you checked to make sure ALL your fans are properly connected and spinning. Free of fluff and cat hair with plenty of case ventilation?

Drivers...this is a beta so drivers could be an issue.

What OS are you using?

leo2kp

Distinguished
I would consider the fact that your RAM is from another machine. Not that the Dell RAM is bad, but it might not be compatible. To test your RAM, run memtest86+ for a few hours to see if you get any errors. If you do, then you might want to consider buying compatible RAM.

Did you download the most recent drivers for your graphics card, or just use the CD? I would install the latest, if you haven't already. A BETA game has a much higher chance of crashing than an RTM game, obviously, but newer drivers may have fixes for BETA titles as well.

As previously mentioned, make sure your cooling is working as expected. You may want to monitor CPU temps under load using Prime95 and CoreTemp, and make sure your CPU heatsink is on tight.

I would start with RAM on this one.

tangiblebody

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
to both of you I am using windows 7 64 bit and I only have one case fan and I have noticed that after opening my machine after the crashes the ram is extremely hot i previously had some 1600mhz corsair dominator memory but they were faulty the temps for the gfx card ar around 40-60 c and reaching 65 in graphicly intensive games i have also monitored the cpu temps and they are around 56c while in heavy gaming I have ordered and extra fan and I am getting new ram as a replacement of my faulty dominator's they are : G-skill 1600mhz 4gb. one last thing i am getting this problem when i am running my computer for lets say 30 mins the first freeze happens and then i restart and play a game then every 2-3 mins a freeze will happen i am also using the 11.10 beta drivers off amd and the airflow is ok in my case the case temps are around 40-50c and about 30 idle

tangiblebody

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

I am using win 7 and bf3 is not compatible with xp...

tangiblebody

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
to all i have figured it out it was psu failure as my computer has started shutting down while playing any games or gpu/cpu heavy applications and i have asked for a refund on the psu and will be getting a different more powerful one