Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 - 2500k or 3570k

Last response: in Motherboards
June 21, 2012 6:15:29 PM

Hi all,

I just purchased an P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and need a cpu for it.

It's between the Sandy Bridge 2500k or the newer Ivy Bridge 3570k. The Ivy Bridge is about £15-£20 more in the U.K. where I live.

Apparently this 'Gen3' board suppors Ivy Bridge and PCIe 3.0. I would have expected the board to take Ivy Bridge out of the box but I did e-mail the Retailer to confirm and they rather confusingly have replied saying it would need a Bios upgrade.

I'm comfortable doing Bios upgrades but in the past I have needed a supported CPU and therefore working system in order to do the upgrade.

As I'm moving platforms from AMD I don't have a spare chip so this wouldn't be an option. I am dubious whether the info. is correct though but I can hopefully check this when the board arrives. Asus do list the Ivy Bridge cpus on their website and the correct Bios revision.

Are their any advantages or disadvantages or using either chip with this particular board and chipset

Thanks in advance.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2012 6:33:30 PM

Since you don't have a cpu to do the update, your stuck with a 2500K. You should have bought a Z77/H77 motherboard and you would be able to choose. Why not return it for exchange of Z77/H77?
June 21, 2012 7:45:48 PM

I got the board 'on offer'. If I went for a z77 board, my budget would only allow for a lower end board. I like the features of this board.

If I'm stuck with 2500k that's no bad thing and not something I'm particular stressing about.

I just figured if it would take an Ivy bridge then I have a dilemma. But I wasn't sure of the distinct differences between the two chips on this particular board.

Can you tell what bios is on a motherboard without it posting? I mean somewhere on the motherboard? If so I can check this when the board arrives and refer to the Asus website then.
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
a c 188 à CPUs
June 21, 2012 7:50:52 PM

Yes you can update the bios and move up to the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors but don't try to run a 3rd generation processor on a "6" series board without first updating the bios with a 2nd generation Intel Core processor.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 2:14:32 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Yes you can update the bios and move up to the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors but don't try to run a 3rd generation processor on a "6" series board without first updating the bios with a 2nd generation Intel Core processor.

I think we already had that covered...
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 2:15:22 PM

geeky said:
I got the board 'on offer'. If I went for a z77 board, my budget would only allow for a lower end board. I like the features of this board.

If I'm stuck with 2500k that's no bad thing and not something I'm particular stressing about.

I just figured if it would take an Ivy bridge then I have a dilemma. But I wasn't sure of the distinct differences between the two chips on this particular board.

Can you tell what bios is on a motherboard without it posting? I mean somewhere on the motherboard? If so I can check this when the board arrives and refer to the Asus website then.

you'll just have to look and see, it may be listed on the mobo box near the serial number or on the board itself.
!