Help-Cannot Create Homegroup in Windows 7

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I'm trying to connect two computers wirelessly to transfer files, but when I go to create a homegroup the option is grayed out so I can't choose it. Using Win7 Home Premium and Ultimate..have googled the problem but can't seem to find a similar situation to mine so far. Any ideas?

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Is the cable a crossover type or are you going via a router ?

Also see this (altho about XP to Win7 it covers other essentials):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/13925-63-enabling-file-sharing-windows-windows-vista-machines

no router, I just want to connect wirelessly to the other computer-no need for internet access. No cable either. All the tutorials I've read instruct the user to create a homegroup, but for some reason that option is grayed out on both computers still. really frustrating.

G

I think it's a Workgroup you need to set up and each computer's Workgroup needs to have the same name. Homegroup isn't necessary. Presumably you intend using ad hoc wireless connection -- you'd better look for info on that, I've never had reason to do that personally.

Also I'd start by setting up the link with a crossover ethernet cable before attempting with wireless -- there are too many wireless-particular issues that can frustrate you if you try to do it all at once.

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Cool, thanks for the info. We have successfully connected through a wired connection using the ethernet cable with no problem. But we really want to set up a wireless connection (ad hoc-no router or internet involved), which I would think should be straight forward, but right now there seems to be a problem with permissions and access to one of the computers (acces is denied-sharing is turned on in all menus with no password protection). Just can't figure it out so far. Maybe we need to try adjusting manual ip address and subnet settings?? It seems like this should be a lot easier than it's turning out to be...