Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best monitor for gaming build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 3, 2011 9:00:38 PM

Can anyone help me with a monitor for this build? I am going to be using this for mmorpg and strategies gaming (SC2, EVE online, and WoW). I am using my xbox for fps. I am looking for something from 21.5-27" and would like to hopefully use this on highest graphic settings.

SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817151096

LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive Black SATA Model GH22NS50 Bulk - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827136216

i-5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136794

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129042

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130568

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231402

More about : monitor gaming build

July 3, 2011 9:38:40 PM

You haven't purchased those parts yet have you? That asus board is meant for dual cards and it's spendy, that psu is way over kill for that vid card, and it's spendy also. You could do a lot better with your money for a single card set up thus giving you a way better vid card for gaming.
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 9:50:15 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $114.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $68.99
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-520 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $454.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $434.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Intern... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/ms... <------ MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC Review
m
0
l
Related resources
July 3, 2011 10:04:10 PM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $114.99
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $68.99
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-520 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $454.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $434.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Intern... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/ms... <------ MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC Review



I did purchase those parts and installed them in my computer... got really good deal for power supply $55, and motherboard $149. If I were to maximize what I have, would you recommend purchasing a second video card to utilize sli? if i do can i still use the 620w power supply? Anything else you can adjust?
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 10:07:34 PM

Do I have to use the same video card or can i use any other one?
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 10:12:19 PM

Also I thought that this motherboard would really facilitate overclocking
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 10:12:53 PM

trogbard said:
Do I have to use the same video card or can i use any other one?

Any gtx 560 ti will work fine with that set up.
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 10:15:22 PM

Why_Me said:
Any gtx 560 ti will work fine with that set up.



Can I add that to my current setup with the 460?
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 10:57:58 PM

I am not sure if i can use other cards?
m
0
l
July 3, 2011 11:36:55 PM

With the GTX460, you can use any monitor you want. Particularly if it is not for fast action shooters.

There are two classes of monitors.

The very best monitor for what you want to do is a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.
But, they are expensive. $1200. For that, you get 178/178 viewing angle and enough real estate to view two full web pages side by side.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More affordable are the 1080P monitors. They will have 1920 x 1080 resolution.
The resolution will be the same regardless of the size. The larger the size, the larger the text you will see.
They are priced reasonable because they are built on TV panels in very high volumes.
Typical viewing angle is 170/160.
That means that if you view the monitor from the side or top too much, it will start to look washed out past 170 or 160 degrees.

In general, I look for samsung monitors. They make the panels for many others, and I think they keep the best quality samples for themselves.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 12:23:10 AM

Thanks for all the info... Just one last question...... Can I use two different video cards in sli? What about different clock speeds of the same and is it better to have one awesome card or two average ones?
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 12:29:20 AM

I vote for one card where it will do the job. It is simpler.

I think sli with differing cards will operate at the lowest common denominator of specs.
Not an expert there, so check it out.
m
0
l
July 5, 2011 9:30:02 AM

geofelt said:
With the GTX460, you can use any monitor you want. Particularly if it is not for fast action shooters.

There are two classes of monitors.

The very best monitor for what you want to do is a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor.
But, they are expensive. $1200. For that, you get 178/178 viewing angle and enough real estate to view two full web pages side by side.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More affordable are the 1080P monitors. They will have 1920 x 1080 resolution.
The resolution will be the same regardless of the size. The larger the size, the larger the text you will see.
They are priced reasonable because they are built on TV panels in very high volumes.
Typical viewing angle is 170/160.
That means that if you view the monitor from the side or top too much, it will start to look washed out past 170 or 160 degrees.

In general, I look for samsung monitors. They make the panels for many others, and I think they keep the best quality samples for themselves.



Samsung monitors? TN panels with cartoon colours? No, thanks.
Samsungs are way overrated, and TN panels are no good. I wouldn't suggest anything below a monitor with an eIPS panel like the Dell U2311H, or the NEC EA231WMi-BK. Response time difference is minimal. These monitors produce way better colours, more accurate, and there is no colour shift when you look from the sides/up/down, so viewing angles are great.
m
0
l
!