CPU Air Cooling Problem

emericanmann

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I am noticing that my CPU, a Intel I7-2600k Sandy Bridge, is running too hot for my liking with the stock HSF. I am looking to get an aftermarket HSF, but am having a difficult time finding one that is compatible with my motherboard and that doesn't block my RAM slots. I have a Asus P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Mobo, and am using 16 gb of CORSAIR Vengeance 240-pin DDR3 RAM. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

The Corsair H80 is an excellent cooling solution. It is an enclosed watercooling loop, which needs no maintenance, is safe and great for cooling.

The smaller units like the H60 are also great, just don't provide as much cooling power. But they will all be better than the stock HSF

Apart from that if you want air I have one of these and it works great!

Does not block the RAM at all.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

It is definitely bigger than the stock HSF, but it will fit on your board ( I have another Asus board that has the same distance between the CPU and RAM and it fits tightly (the fan is against the heatsink on the RAM) but without any problems.

The H-series watercool loops are tiny, and really only cover the CPU itself since all the cooling is done through the radiator. So they will fit with no trouble at all

Naw, that one will work. Since the fan is in the middle it won't be sticking out so far as the other one I linked.

BTW, I have the same RAM as you, and those heatsinks can be obnoxious :p

The one I linked will be better for cooling since it is using 2 fans, but the one you linked will work as well :)

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I own the V8. I replaced the stock fan with a slightly stronger Excalibur. The temps stay between 37 and 40C. Idle. During gaming, it goes up rapidly and when you stop, it cools rapidly.

I have two Ultra Kaze fans running at something like 200 CFM each through the tower of cooling. At the end of the day I chose to purchase a Zalman Cooler that is somewhat smaller and should preform better.

I am happy that my DIMMS are all stacked together and I was thinking of taking a bolt cutters and chopping off the one side heat pipes and it's fin array off. I am glad I did not do it.

The V8 was my first non Copper non Zalman unit because I think mass, weight is good and big air even better. However the aluminum leaves very much to be desired in many ways. The last thing that finally made me decide to replace it was the bottom two bolts in the middle fan near the CPU. It was a Beyiotch to wriggle into there and get them off and on.

The H100 would be the next step up if the Zalman gets tired and that will be a while.

I have been dreaming about hacking apart a powered cooler used in 18 wheelers and such and convert just the necessary parts to feed a "Cold Plate" or two. Those have the power to cool roughly 40 below ambient. But we will see.