Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First gaming PC /Canada/

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 3, 2011 9:31:58 PM

First, i would like to say HI to all the users here, i've been browsing the forum some time now & i think it's about time to get my first gaming PC. I learned a lot reading all the pages & diff. topics, but there's still a lot more to learn.
So, i would like to get some suggestions about my "future" system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximate Purchase Date: 3 weeks (out of Country right now)


Budget Range: 1500$-2000$


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming only


Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor??


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com ; canadacomputers.com


Country of Origin: Canada


Parts Preferences: Better quality


Overclocking: Maybe if it's needed / future


SLI or Crossfire: Maybe if it's needed / future


Monitor Resolution: 1080p / Planning to use my TV (Samsung PN6500 58" Plasma)


Additional Comments: would like to get a solid system, able to run current & future games on max settings "if possible"; would like to use my TV as main display & run 5.1 (optical) sound through my receiver (Yamaha RX1800)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what i came up with.

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68 LGA1155 ATX 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2 PCI B3 Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61312&promoi...

Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=55583

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=41337

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57953

Corsair TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V Single Rail 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=58382&promoi...

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 DS Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61076&promoi...

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50895

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

Total: $1,299.26+tax / add sound card & some other items that i might need or missed

Any thoughts?

More about : gaming canada

July 3, 2011 10:29:07 PM

You want a 900+w psu to push two of those cards and leave you juice left over for things such as o/c, fans, drives, etc... Also I would look for a case with better cooling, or add some fans to that CM haf 912. Take a look at the CM 922.
July 3, 2011 10:59:46 PM

If you're going to get a CM 922, might aswell get a 932.
Related resources
July 4, 2011 4:39:10 AM

Why_Me said:
You want a 900+w psu to push two of those cards and leave you juice left over for things such as o/c, fans, drives, etc... Also I would look for a case with better cooling, or add some fans to that CM haf 912. Take a look at the CM 922.


Thanks for the reply. I'll look at some "better" cases.

About the "bigger" PSU & extra card that you mentioned - do i need that right now or that's just "optional" in the future ?

Also, about my RAM - would it make a big difference if i go with CL9 instead of CL7?
July 4, 2011 5:04:45 AM

mtommy79 said:
Thanks for the reply. I'll look at some "better" cases.

About the "bigger" PSU & extra card that you mentioned - do i need that right now or that's just "optional" in the future ?

Also, about my RAM - would it make a big difference if i go with CL9 instead of CL7?

CL9 is fine seeing how RAM timings mean ZERO in regards to o/c your cpu with these 1155 boards. The cpu multiplier is isolated hence the reason CL9 is selling off the hook atm. What you do want to get is low voltage RAM ...like 1.5v.

Also I would look into getting dual MSI gtx 560 ti's right off the get go powered by a 750w psu. Two of those mop the floor with a gtx 580 not to mention they are cheaper. Two of those cards run cost around $450 for the pair vs $500+ for a 580...and then consider the cost of the psu ... 750w vs 900+w.

Something to seriously consider.
July 4, 2011 5:14:18 AM

Your configuration is OK. And your power supply is more as OK for that comfig. It has enough room for some overclocking, and for another one videocard too. I am not sure about this "superoverclocked" thing though. If you are aiming for stability, try to avoid "superoverclocked" things. Sometimes they may give you headaches just because they are not working at their defaults... About your CPU cooler - if you are not going to overclock the CPU you may just go with the stock cooler /yes, it's OK for this, and you keep your guarantee and you don't risk to do something wrong before you get some "touch" with the hardware :) /, and if you are going to overclock seriously, you probably need to try a more powerfull cooling solution - this one is OK for some mild overclocking /I personally am with a very similar one from xigmatech/ ang your cpu is with good thermal characteristics, so it may even get some considerable freq. increase with this cooler... But you just can't get a "perfect" sysytem anyway - perfect for everithing - there's no such thing and it will not be perfect tomorrow... so just assemble a decent system... and try to learn from it :) . And good luck with this one :) .
July 4, 2011 5:15:16 AM

Why_Me said:
CL9 is fine seeing how RAM timings mean ZERO in regards to o/c your cpu with these 1155 boards. The cpu multiplier is isolated hence the reason CL9 is selling off the hook atm. What you do want to get is low voltage RAM ...like 1.5v.

Also I would look into getting dual MSI gtx 560 ti's right off the get go powered by a 750w psu. Two of those mop the floor with a gtx 580 not to mention they are cheaper. Two of those cards run cost around $450 for the pair vs $500+ for a 580...and then consider the cost of the psu ... 750w vs 900+w.

Something to seriously consider.


Great suggestions, thank you! I'll look into it. Other than the GPU & Case, anything else i should change? (brands maybe?)
July 4, 2011 5:16:20 AM

pepe2907 said:
Your configuration is OK. And your power supply is more as OK for that comfig. It has enough room for some overclocking, and for another one videocard too. I am not sure about this "superoverclocked" thing though. If you are aiming for stability, try to avoid "superoverclocked" things. Sometimes they may give you headaches just because they are not working at their defaults... About your CPU cooler - if you are not going to overclock the CPU you may just go with the stock cooler /yes, it's OK for this, and you keep your guarantee and you don't risk to do something wrong before you get some "touch" with the hardware :) /, and if you are going to overclock seriously, you probably need to try a more powerfull cooling solution - this one is OK for some mild overclocking /I personally am with a very similar one from xigmatech/ ang your cpu is with good thermal characteristics, so it may even get some considerable freq. increase with this cooler... But you just can't get a "perfect" sysytem anyway - perfect for everithing - there's no such thing and it will not be perfect tomorrow... so just assemble a decent system... and try to learn from it :) . And good luck with this one :) .

Are you saying a 750w psu will push two of gtx 580's and leave headroom for o/c ?

July 4, 2011 5:19:23 AM

mtommy79 said:
Great suggestions, thank you! I'll look into it. Other than the GPU & Case, anything else i should change? (brands maybe?)

Naw...everything else in that build looks tight imo. Solid components.
July 4, 2011 5:40:47 AM

Probably not, but it will definitely push two of these OR overclocking... And let's try to calculate a little here... First - this PSU's 750 W are nominal, not max, and it has a plenty enough room for max for starting your system, so you don't need to care about this, you just need to get your calculation right based on nominals. Let's say these two /when, and if, it happen they to be two of them/ videos are 400 to 450 W both, the CPU is 100W or less actually, but let say 100, abuut 50 for the mobo, 20-25 for the HDD and about the same for the RAM... do I miss something significant?

btw. get a bluray burner or at least a reader/combo instead of this dvd burner - they are not so expensive and you'll need one.

and... you'll probably not burn at exactly the same time your /both/ graphics are loaded, so, it's also pretty safe with a 750W PSU ;) 
July 4, 2011 7:46:10 AM

Ok, after revising some items here's my final build:

Cooler Master Haf 932 Black Edition Full Tower EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT USB eSATA 1394 Audio
NCIX Bundle Deal - Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor & ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
x2 MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
Corsair TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V Single Rail 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

(anything before i proceed with the order?)
Total came out to around 1600$ /w shipping & tax (did some price match with DirectCanada.com)
July 4, 2011 7:55:31 AM

mtommy79 said:
Ok, after revising some items here's my final build:

Cooler Master Haf 932 Black Edition Full Tower EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT USB eSATA 1394 Audio
NCIX Bundle Deal - Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor & ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
x2 MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
Corsair TX750 V2 750W ATX 12V Single Rail 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

(anything before i proceed with the order?)
Total came out to around 1600$ /w shipping & tax (did some price match with DirectCanada.com)

Nice! :sol:  Your ready to kick some arse on BF3 !
July 7, 2011 7:07:49 AM

So, after making some small changes & going back and forth with my options,i feel like i'm ready to push the order button.

Final thoughts?

Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case Black 5X5.25 5X3.5INT Front Audio USB eSATA No PSU
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38996
Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45895&promoi...
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor & ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61312
Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 HIGH-PERFORMANCE DUAL-FAN CPU Cooler LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM2 AM3
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53612&promoi...
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57953
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56600
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50895

Samsung DVDRW 22X SATA Black OEM
Coolermaster Megaflow 200MM Red LED Case Fan 700RPM for HAF932 922 Cosmos S Atcs 840 Storm Sniper
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard USB Backlight Macro Keys
Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Laser Gaming Mouse 5 Buttons 2000DPI USB

Total: $1,461.19 + tax (bundle/special deals & few pricematch)

The only thing i'm not sure about is the PSU. In the future i would like to Sli the 580 and possibly OC the CPU, so not sure if the 850W sufficient enough for that.
July 7, 2011 7:14:26 AM

mtommy79 said:
So, after making some small changes & going back and forth with my options,i feel like i'm ready to push the order button.

Final thoughts?

Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case Black 5X5.25 5X3.5INT Front Audio USB eSATA No PSU
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=38996
Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W Modular Power Supply SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45895&promoi...
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor & ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=61312
Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 HIGH-PERFORMANCE DUAL-FAN CPU Cooler LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM2 AM3
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53612&promoi...
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57953
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56600
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50895

Samsung DVDRW 22X SATA Black OEM
Coolermaster Megaflow 200MM Red LED Case Fan 700RPM for HAF932 922 Cosmos S Atcs 840 Storm Sniper
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard USB Backlight Macro Keys
Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Laser Gaming Mouse 5 Buttons 2000DPI USB

Total: $1,461.19 + tax (bundle/special deals & few pricematch)

The only thing i'm not sure about is the PSU. In the future i would like to Sli the 580 and possibly OC the CPU, so not sure if the 850W sufficient enough for that.

850 is cutting it way to close with dual 580's not to mention that psu sucks. Try this one down below.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57846&vpn=PPCS910&man... $139.99 CAD
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W SLI Certified ATX Power Supply 80 Plus Silver *7 Yr Warranty*
July 7, 2011 7:24:58 AM

Thanks again!! Got pretty good reviews also. Anything else i should consider (this is my first build) ?
July 9, 2011 3:39:16 AM

Update /order processed & awaiting shipping/

I feel pretty good about the total price/package that i got! Used NCIX (A+), but price-matched everything that i could and used special prices/deals.

38996 Coolermaster Haf 922 Mid Tower ATX Case Black 5X5.25 5X3.5INT Front Audio USB eSATA $90.10
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=38996&vpn=RC%2D922M%2...
57846 PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910W SLI Certified ATX Power Supply 80 Plus Silver *7 Yr *IR-$21*$139.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57846&vpn=PPCS910&man...
61312 Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor & ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard $445.46 PriceMatched $349.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=61312&vpn=2500K%2DP8Z...
53612 Corsair Cooling Air Series A70 HIGH-PERFORMANCE DUAL-FAN CPU Cooler $29.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53612&vpn=CAFA70&manu...
57953 G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory $75.30 PriceMatched $67.13
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3%2D12800C...
56600 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked Fermi 797MHZ 1536MB $549.99 PriceMatched $484.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=56600&vpn=015%2DP3%2D...
50895 Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM $89.98
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=50895&vpn=WD1002FAEX&...
60344 Samsung DVDRW 22X SATA Black OEM $16.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=60344&vpn=SH%2D222AB%...
52544 Coolermaster Megaflow 200MM Red LED Case Fan 700RPM for HAF922 $21.99 PriceMatched $11.00
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=52544&vpn=R4%2DLUS%2D...
34466 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard USB Backlight Macro Keys $89.95 PriceMatched $59.97
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=34466&vpn=AGB%2D00003...
43733 Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Laser Gaming Mouse 5 Buttons 2000DPI USB $24.99
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=43733&vpn=ARB%2D00003...
45271 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM $119.98 PriceMatched $89.69
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45271&vpn=GFC%2D00599...
7842 PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased) $41.09
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=7842&vpn=PC%2DASSEMBL...

CAN$1,505.30 + HST(13%) $195.69

Big thank you to Why_Me for helping out :D 
!