Sign in with
Your question

PC Powers Down Under Stress

Last response: in Components
September 29, 2011 10:52:02 PM

I wasn't sure what to title this, because I don't know what the cause is. All that I can think of is that my PC is overheating, as it powers down whilst playing games. The 2 games that I have noticed this occurring with are Crysis 2 (DX11 Update + Ultimate Settings) and SHOGUN 2: Total War. I was surprised with it overheating with SHOGUN, as I was still in the process of selecting a faction (so not really pushing the system all that much), when it decided to die.

What happens is it powers down. I seem to get a surge of noise through my headphones and then it just dies. There is no warning, no beeping, nothing. It just turns off.

It's a custom built PC (I didn't build it, I had a friend do it for me, but he's unavailable for a while).
The PC is:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, 3.4GHz Quad-Core CPU
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti, 1024MB GPU
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit Operating System (SP1)

Oh, and it's in a Casecom 5288 case with two 120mm fans and a bottom-mounted PSU (fan at the front of the case sucks in air, fan at the top expels). The graphics card has 2 stock fans (that work) on it, and the CPU also has stock fan/heatsink.

I don't know what the motherboard or PSU are at this very moment (I might have a poke around tomorrow), but SpeedFan leads me to assume that the GPU is between 50-65C and the CPU is at around 55C when it powers down (not quite sure about these values because as soon as I alt-tab out of the game, it all begins cooling again, so I don't know what the temperatures are when it powers down). Idle GPU temperature is 35C, and idle CPU temperature is 38C.

Is there any obvious, well known problem than can cause this issue? Any and all help will be appreciated, and if you can't help... I'll just wait for my friend to get back (which will be a few days).

Oh, and sorry for the brackets. I just noticed I used quite a lot... :p 

More about : powers stress

September 29, 2011 10:55:44 PM

If it literally powers off there are only 2 likely possibilities. Either something is overheating, or your PSU cant handle the load. Your temps seem ok, so i suspect the PSU. I would assume whoever built the PC doesnt know quite what they are doing and put a cheap PSU in there.
September 29, 2011 10:59:25 PM

I'll have a quick peek inside and see what the PSU is.
Related resources
September 29, 2011 11:11:17 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
If it literally powers off there are only 2 likely possibilities. Either something is overheating, or your PSU cant handle the load. Your temps seem ok, so i suspect the PSU. I would assume whoever built the PC doesnt know quite what they are doing and put a cheap PSU in there.

There wasn't much information on the PSU. All I really saw was a large "EZCOOL" on the top of it.
September 30, 2011 6:04:47 AM

ezcool......pull that crap out of there right away and put something decent in before it blows up.
September 30, 2011 7:18:01 AM

if you want to measure temps and log them use gpu-z it has a logging feature that will constantly record even while ingame... or you can run msi afterburner along with furmark... to get a reliable max gpu temp
!