Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need Your GBA opinion

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Light
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:25:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely disappointed in
the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain. I've been looking
online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers with lights built in. Has
anyone had any experience with either of these? I've seen them both on ebay
and pretty cheaply at that. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

More about : gba opinion

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:29:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

cool ghoul wrote:
> Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely
> disappointed in the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain.
> I've been looking online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers
> with lights built in. Has anyone had any experience with either of
> these? I've seen them both on ebay and pretty cheaply at that. Any
> advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Go buy a SP. No add-on for the original GBA comes close.

An even better idea is to go buy a DS. It has a true back-lit screen,
unlike the side-lit screen of the SP and it is a great improvement for all
GBA games...
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 8:07:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Worm lights and such are a waste of money. All they do is put a glare
on the screen. I put an Afterburner light in my GBA and love it.


On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 10:25:20 -0600, "cool ghoul"
<cool(remove)ghoul@hauntmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely disappointed in
>the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain. I've been looking
>online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers with lights built in. Has
>anyone had any experience with either of these? I've seen them both on ebay
>and pretty cheaply at that. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
>Thanks!!
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:35:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Kevin" <kevinp@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
news:llhss0968pn2n5m93jh50684f8bf0hnjj5@4ax.com...
> Worm lights and such are a waste of money. All they do is put a glare
> on the screen. I put an Afterburner light in my GBA and love it.


>
Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 6:32:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

>
> "Kevin" <kevinp@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:llhss0968pn2n5m93jh50684f8bf0hnjj5@4ax.com...
>> Worm lights and such are a waste of money. All they do is put a glare
>> on the screen. I put an Afterburner light in my GBA and love it.
>
>
>>
> Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
>
>
>

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=240&products_...
&PHPSESSID=fa9eaba42600bff757e2a733dce8c3ac
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 1:42:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In reply to cool ghoul

> Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?

Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
those, and it will cost too much money.

Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 1:42:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message
news:20041226224225.7882fa3b@localhost...
> In reply to cool ghoul
>
> > Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
>
> Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
> version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
> which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
> those, and it will cost too much money.
>
> Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
> GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.


Thanks!!
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 1:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"cool ghoul" <cool(remove)ghoul@hauntmail.com> wrote in message
news:kjKzd.29155$645.26810@fe06.lga...
>
> "David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message
> news:20041226224225.7882fa3b@localhost...
> > In reply to cool ghoul
> >
> > > Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
> >
> > Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
> > version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
> > which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
> > those, and it will cost too much money.
> >
> > Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
> > GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.
>
>
> Thanks!!
> I found one of the HALO's on ebay. Not much luck when searching on
Google. Can anyone recommend a site to buy one? Thanks in Advance!
>
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 6:29:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

cool ghoul wrote:

> "cool ghoul" <cool(remove)ghoul@hauntmail.com> wrote in message
> news:kjKzd.29155$645.26810@fe06.lga...
>
>>"David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message
>>news:20041226224225.7882fa3b@localhost...
>>
>>>In reply to cool ghoul
>>>
>>>
>>>>Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
>>>
>>>Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
>>>version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
>>>which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
>>>those, and it will cost too much money.
>>>
>>>Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
>>>GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.
>>
>>
>>Thanks!!
>>I found one of the HALO's on ebay. Not much luck when searching on
>
> Google. Can anyone recommend a site to buy one? Thanks in Advance!


I recommend the Floodlight for GBA.

http://www.hushgames.com/site/product?pid=20385

I've used that thing forever (and beat it up-- I'm thinking of getting
another). My buddy brought over his brand new SP, and I was surprisingly
less impressed with the SP's screen than with my Floodlight. The FL
brought out the colors so much better, and was brighter.

Two things: it's kinda heavy, and eats batteries (3 AA). The Energizer
rechargable battery pack was one of the best investments I made...

D-

--
"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
shoes." - unknown
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 1:11:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

">
> I recommend the Floodlight for GBA.
>
> http://www.hushgames.com/site/product?pid=20385
>
> I've used that thing forever (and beat it up-- I'm thinking of getting
> another). My buddy brought over his brand new SP, and I was surprisingly
> less impressed with the SP's screen than with my Floodlight. The FL
> brought out the colors so much better, and was brighter.
>
> Two things: it's kinda heavy, and eats batteries (3 AA). The Energizer
> rechargable battery pack was one of the best investments I made...
>
> D-
>
> --
> "If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
> their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
> shoes." - unknown
>
> Thanks for the advice. I actually found a couple of the floodlights at
Wal Mart today and my kids and myself think they're great! And I only paid
about $6.00 a piece for them!!
>
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 6:27:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

cool ghoul wrote:
> ">
>
>>I recommend the Floodlight for GBA.
>>
>>http://www.hushgames.com/site/product?pid=20385
>>
>>I've used that thing forever (and beat it up-- I'm thinking of getting
>>another). My buddy brought over his brand new SP, and I was surprisingly
>>less impressed with the SP's screen than with my Floodlight. The FL
>>brought out the colors so much better, and was brighter.
>>
>>Two things: it's kinda heavy, and eats batteries (3 AA). The Energizer
>>rechargable battery pack was one of the best investments I made...
>>
>>D-
>>
>>--
>>"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
>>their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
>>shoes." - unknown
>>
>>Thanks for the advice. I actually found a couple of the floodlights at
>
> Wal Mart today and my kids and myself think they're great! And I only paid
> about $6.00 a piece for them!!


Whoa, good deal. I haven't seen them at Wal-Mart in forever, and they
were 14.99 when I got mine. I'll have to check again as I really have
beaten mine up (broke a couple of pieces off, but it's still workin').

Glad you like it. :) 

D-

--
"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
shoes." - unknown
January 4, 2005 4:17:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:27:57 GMT, Angry Red Herring
<angryred@hypercon.com> wrote:

>"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
>their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
>shoes." - unknown


I can offer a name to replace unknown... Sonny Elliott said this.

Sonny Elliott was the weather person in Detroit, Michigan (WWJ-TV?)
during the 1960's and 1970's. He had a habit of making up words to
describe the weather. For example, the weather wasn't going to be
cloudy and humid, it was going to be clumid...

Perhaps someone else said this, but at least in the Great Lakes
Region, he's credited with saying it.

Cordata
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:42:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com> wrote in message
news:vBnzd.24020$mA3.15948@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> cool ghoul wrote:
> > Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely
> > disappointed in the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain.
> > I've been looking online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers
> > with lights built in. Has anyone had any experience with either of
> > these? I've seen them both on ebay and pretty cheaply at that. Any
> > advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!!
>
> Go buy a SP. No add-on for the original GBA comes close.
>
> An even better idea is to go buy a DS. It has a true back-lit screen,
> unlike the side-lit screen of the SP and it is a great improvement for all
> GBA games...

Yuck, don't buy a brick (the DS) to take the place of an SP. The SP is
really nice and plays the GBA games and the huge library of older GB titles.
The DS only plays the lousy DS titles and the GBA library. The DS is ugly,
far too big, and the touch screen is one of the lamest gimmicks ever
introduced...no wait, that honor still belongs to the Virtual Gameboy.

Skye
!