I need Your GBA opinion

Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely disappointed in
the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain. I've been looking
online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers with lights built in. Has
anyone had any experience with either of these? I've seen them both on ebay
and pretty cheaply at that. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
12 answers Last reply
More about opinion

    cool ghoul wrote:
    > Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely
    > disappointed in the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain.
    > I've been looking online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers
    > with lights built in. Has anyone had any experience with either of
    > these? I've seen them both on ebay and pretty cheaply at that. Any
    > advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!!

    Go buy a SP. No add-on for the original GBA comes close.

    An even better idea is to go buy a DS. It has a true back-lit screen,
    unlike the side-lit screen of the SP and it is a great improvement for all
    GBA games...

    Worm lights and such are a waste of money. All they do is put a glare
    on the screen. I put an Afterburner light in my GBA and love it.

    "Kevin" <kevinp@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Worm lights and such are a waste of money. All they do is put a glare
    > on the screen. I put an Afterburner light in my GBA and love it.

    Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?

    > "Kevin" <kevinp@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Worm lights and such are a waste of money. All they do is put a glare
    >> on the screen. I put an Afterburner light in my GBA and love it.
    >

    > Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?

    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=240&products_id=1755
    &PHPSESSID=fa9eaba42600bff757e2a733dce8c3ac
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?

    Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
    version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
    which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
    those, and it will cost too much money.

    Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
    GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message

    > > Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
    >
    > Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
    > version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
    > which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
    > those, and it will cost too much money.
    >
    > Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
    > GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.

    Thanks!!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "cool ghoul" <cool(remove)ghoul@hauntmail.com> wrote in message

    > "David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Pardon my ignorance, but how is this done?
    > >
    > > Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
    > > version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
    > > which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
    > > those, and it will cost too much money.
    > >
    > > Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
    > > GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.
    >

    > Thanks!!
    > I found one of the HALO's on ebay. Not much luck when searching on
    Google. Can anyone recommend a site to buy one? Thanks in Advance!

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    cool ghoul wrote:

    > "cool ghoul" <cool(remove)ghoul@hauntmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>"David Mehrmann" <jammet@tigress.com> wrote in message

    >>>Get the "HELO" Light for the GBA. Make sure it is the 'second
    >>>version'. It's pretty good and easier to install than the Afterburner,
    >>>which isn't actively produced anymore. You'll be lucky to get one of
    >>>those, and it will cost too much money.
    >>>
    >>>Safest way to get some light is, if you are considering an update to the
    >>>GBA, get an SP or - even better, a DS. They have decent light.
    >>

    >>Thanks!!
    >>I found one of the HALO's on ebay. Not much luck when searching on
    >
    > Google. Can anyone recommend a site to buy one? Thanks in Advance!

    I recommend the Floodlight for GBA.

    http://www.hushgames.com/site/product?pid=20385

    I've used that thing forever (and beat it up-- I'm thinking of getting
    another). My buddy brought over his brand new SP, and I was surprisingly
    less impressed with the SP's screen than with my Floodlight. The FL
    brought out the colors so much better, and was brighter.

    Two things: it's kinda heavy, and eats batteries (3 AA). The Energizer
    rechargable battery pack was one of the best investments I made...

    D-

    --
    "If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
    their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their

    ">
    > I recommend the Floodlight for GBA.
    >
    > http://www.hushgames.com/site/product?pid=20385
    >
    > I've used that thing forever (and beat it up-- I'm thinking of getting
    > another). My buddy brought over his brand new SP, and I was surprisingly
    > less impressed with the SP's screen than with my Floodlight. The FL
    > brought out the colors so much better, and was brighter.
    >
    > Two things: it's kinda heavy, and eats batteries (3 AA). The Energizer
    > rechargable battery pack was one of the best investments I made...
    >
    > D-
    >
    > --
    > "If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
    > their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
    > shoes." - unknown
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. I actually found a couple of the floodlights at
    Wal Mart today and my kids and myself think they're great! And I only paid
    about $6.00 a piece for them!!

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    cool ghoul wrote:
    > ">
    >
    >>I recommend the Floodlight for GBA.
    >>
    >>http://www.hushgames.com/site/product?pid=20385
    >>
    >>I've used that thing forever (and beat it up-- I'm thinking of getting
    >>another). My buddy brought over his brand new SP, and I was surprisingly
    >>less impressed with the SP's screen than with my Floodlight. The FL
    >>brought out the colors so much better, and was brighter.
    >>
    >>Two things: it's kinda heavy, and eats batteries (3 AA). The Energizer
    >>rechargable battery pack was one of the best investments I made...
    >>
    >>D-
    >>
    >>--
    >>"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
    >>their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
    >>shoes." - unknown
    >>
    >>Thanks for the advice. I actually found a couple of the floodlights at
    >
    > Wal Mart today and my kids and myself think they're great! And I only paid
    > about $6.00 a piece for them!!

    Whoa, good deal. I haven't seen them at Wal-Mart in forever, and they
    were 14.99 when I got mine. I'll have to check again as I really have
    beaten mine up (broke a couple of pieces off, but it's still workin').

    Glad you like it. :)

    D-

    --
    "If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
    their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
    shoes." - unknown
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:27:57 GMT, Angry Red Herring
    <angryred@hypercon.com> wrote:

    >"If you find yourself in conflict with someone, try walking a mile in
    >their shoes. Then you're a mile away from them, and you also have their
    >shoes." - unknown

    I can offer a name to replace unknown... Sonny Elliott said this.

    Sonny Elliott was the weather person in Detroit, Michigan (WWJ-TV?)
    during the 1960's and 1970's. He had a habit of making up words to
    describe the weather. For example, the weather wasn't going to be
    cloudy and humid, it was going to be clumid...

    Perhaps someone else said this, but at least in the Great Lakes
    Region, he's credited with saying it.

    Cordata
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com> wrote in message
    > cool ghoul wrote:
    > > Ok, made the mistake of NOT buying the SP GBA and am sorely
    > > disappointed in the screen quality. The darkness gives me eyestrain.
    > > I've been looking online and have seen worm lights and magnifiers
    > > with lights built in. Has anyone had any experience with either of
    > > these? I've seen them both on ebay and pretty cheaply at that. Any
    > > advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    >
    > Go buy a SP. No add-on for the original GBA comes close.
    >
    > An even better idea is to go buy a DS. It has a true back-lit screen,
    > unlike the side-lit screen of the SP and it is a great improvement for all
    > GBA games...

    Yuck, don't buy a brick (the DS) to take the place of an SP. The SP is
    really nice and plays the GBA games and the huge library of older GB titles.
    The DS only plays the lousy DS titles and the GBA library. The DS is ugly,
    far too big, and the touch screen is one of the lamest gimmicks ever
    introduced...no wait, that honor still belongs to the Virtual Gameboy.

    Skye

Console Gaming Light Video Games