Game crashes after alt tab

larryjones2007

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I would like any information you would be willing to give so I can research all angles on this problem.
Playing Age of Conan
Had two gtx 260s never had any problems with alt tab out of game. Purchased two ati radeon 6950 game looks great frames are great. When I alt tab out of game not every time but about every other time it will cause the game to go nuts. The screen looks like you can see each actuall frame rate as it clicks into place. I run a monitoring program on it the frame rates bottom out when I alt tab and they will never pick back up. Close the game, reopen the game and all is well, dont have to reboot pc or anything. Sometimes it will give the error that amdkmdap driver has failed ( sometime it will say it has recovered). I have taken the cards out tried them one at a time to see if it is one of the cards that is bad game runs like a top with one card. Either card makes no difference they both run great alt tab out all u want no problems. Put both cards back in and same problem as before. Asus support says that they think it is a OS problem I have read everything I can find on it with no luck. Any one ever heard of this issue or anything close.
System is
I7 920 2.67
OS windows vista ultimate 64 bit
12 gb ramm
raptor hd
asus mother board p6x58d premium
with two ati eah6950 asus cards in crossfire.
1000 watt power supply
one more note I have run a monitoring progam heat is not a issue on the cards average temp it 60 to 70 on both cards under full load at a idle they average 30 to 40
Larry

SpazldNinjaDude

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

It could be drivers, check to see if any scrap of nvidia is still there, and in the reg too, remove all of it, as you dont need it. But it could be Vista, it does some weird things to PCs because of the way is handles requests for RAM, including GFX card RAM. For the best fix i would say get Win7, if you know, or you are in education (of any sort, Uni inlcuded) get a cheap copy of software4students.com (unless your in the US then you cant because its a UK store), but installing Win7 will fix this issue, one of my mates had an issue, that might be the same cause as yours (Vista not being able to handles RAM requests well) on his PC with Vista (but its not a 64bit), which was simply put he couldnt play any game on a res higher than 800x600 without it crashing, so he couldnt load most games, now he got Win7 and it now works, his PC cant run a game above that res but now he can actualy change the res. Not sure if i helped but you said any info can help you soo.. that was mine.