CM 120mm Heatsink
Corsair 750w
Light on 24x DVD
1 TB Western Digital
6g Corsair DDR3
2x ASUS 23" monitors
Logitech G510
Razer Naga

Anyway, a year ago I knew absolutely nothing about computers. Someone told me i wouldnt be able to build one, so i did it to prove them wrong and now it's all I want to do. I have a few questions though.

1) Overclocking: Ive tried and tried again, ive read multiple guides, I just don't understand it or how to do it. Could anyone help me out?

2) Dust! I just checked and theres so much dust in all the fans, i cleared it out a bit but anyone have any advice for that?

3) 38c degress idle, 45 running WoW, is that normal?

4) Upgrading: I ran into a bit of money and I was thinking about upgrading this. (Or selling and building something new) Any ideas? I was thinking about Crossfiring with another 6870, maybe even get an SSD? Id appreciate any tips on what you would do.

5) Modding the case: Im considering taking off the side panel and making it see through (not sure how) But then I would lose a 230mm fan. Any tips on how to work with losing that fan? Also I was thinking about replacing the 230mm fans with LED ones, but they dont seem to make them that size. Considering just basically making it moreso "my computer" and custom, but I'm worried that i'll screw something up with the build.

Any tips would be appreciated! Thank you!

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
So many answers...
1) Your CPU doesn't allow for easy Over clocking that is why it's harder. But if you had a k series intel CPU such as the i5 2500k or a black edition AMD CPU then here is basically how you do it: Goto the BIOS, and change the Clock Rate and the Multiplier. (3.4GHz is really 100MHz multiplied by 34) Then you increase one of the numbers for better performance (Overclocking)

2) Use a Vacuum to clean out your system, Do NOT use compressed air due to the fact that it is easy to get dust into un-cleanable places that can ruin your system

3) It's good

4) Crossfire will give you better gaming performace, unless you want fast load times, don't get a SSD (wait another year so it is cheaper by A LOT), or you can upgrade the CPU to a Core i7 2600k (the best CPU for gaming so far)

5) Modding is harder, just get another case. Don't mod unless you are experienced and done some "Dry runs" with cases you don't want.

terryyounce

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
^Agree with all of that, but, mine runs a WHOLE lot cooler than that when running WoW. Though it wont do any damage, perhaps think of switching to liquid cooling (if possible with the case). Itll keep everything cold and prolong life on most of your components

mrjellybean

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

45 degrees is really nothing to be worried about at all. I don't think you're even close to needing liquid cooling.