Anyone own a tablet PC?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 25, 2005 3:55:27 PM

If yes..... how you liking it?

Would you never NOT buy another laptop that also isn't
a tablet PC?

More about : tablet

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 25, 2005 10:00:27 PM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> If yes..... how you liking it?
>
> Would you never NOT buy another laptop that also isn't
> a tablet PC?

I don't own a tablet. However, Microsoft and most vendors would like to
bury the tablet for good. When originally introduced, *everyone*
thought it was the logical evolution of the laptop, and soon everyone
and their grandmothers would be clamoring for a tablet. The problem
was, no one tested the concept with the buying public who rejected the
concept outright, leaving most tablets unsold, gathering dust in
inventory. The fact that the tablet version of XP was a three legged
dog with fleas didn't help much - the tablet functions like writing
direct to the screen were abject failures. The fact that the public saw
the tablet as an extremely expensive useless device didn't help either.

Fast forward to today, when there is a very minor movement to
reintroduce the new and improved tablet computer. Once again, no one
bothered to determine if the buying public wanted one. They don't want
one. The $$ public still think of the tablet as a solution to a problem
that does not exist. The entire concept was damaged from the original
tablet releases, and the buying public has moved on to cell phones with
internet functionality and Audi A4s with two SD card slots.

a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 1:12:00 PM

Quaoar wrote:

> leaving most tablets unsold, gathering dust in
> inventory.

There must be a place to buy these super-low then?
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 1:13:49 PM

alex goldman wrote:

> Quaoar wrote:
>
>> leaving most tablets unsold, gathering dust in
>> inventory.
>
> There must be a place to buy these super-low then?

.... nope, $1-3K on tigerdirect
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 2:02:08 PM

Actually I own a tablet and would never go back to anormal laptop, The
Tablet functionality is quite good and I use it as my only computer. I've
been using laptops for over 10 years and I do think these will be common,
especially in vertical markets and business. If you want more info their are
some good websites devouted to the Tablet platform...

www.tabletpcbuzz.com
www.tabletpcpost.com

So yes I disagree with the other posters.

--
Jeffery W. Roach
MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCDST, CTTS, CNA, N+, A+

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> If yes..... how you liking it?
>
> Would you never NOT buy another laptop that also isn't
> a tablet PC?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2005 2:29:46 PM

Quaoar wrote:

> me@privacy.net wrote:
>> If yes..... how you liking it?
>>
>> Would you never NOT buy another laptop that also isn't
>> a tablet PC?
>
> I don't own a tablet. However, Microsoft and most vendors would like to
> bury the tablet for good. When originally introduced, *everyone*
> thought it was the logical evolution of the laptop, and soon everyone
> and their grandmothers would be clamoring for a tablet. The problem
> was, no one tested the concept with the buying public who rejected the
> concept outright, leaving most tablets unsold, gathering dust in
> inventory. The fact that the tablet version of XP was a three legged
> dog with fleas didn't help much - the tablet functions like writing
> direct to the screen were abject failures. The fact that the public saw
> the tablet as an extremely expensive useless device didn't help either.
>
> Fast forward to today, when there is a very minor movement to
> reintroduce the new and improved tablet computer. Once again, no one
> bothered to determine if the buying public wanted one. They don't want
> one. The $$ public still think of the tablet as a solution to a problem
> that does not exist. The entire concept was damaged from the original
> tablet releases, and the buying public has moved on to cell phones with
> internet functionality and Audi A4s with two SD card slots.

Really depends on what you do. For someone in graphic arts a tablet _could_
be a very nice tool. The trouble is that the pen support on tablet PCs
falls far short of the best graphics pads such as the Wacom Intuos III.
Their Cintiq 21UX shows what a tablet PC _could_ be but none of them are.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

x-- Access to over 1.6 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
June 26, 2005 11:16:05 PM

>Fast forward to today, when there is a very minor movement to
>reintroduce the new and improved tablet computer. Once again, no one
>bothered to determine if the buying public wanted one. They don't want
>one. The $$ public still think of the tablet as a solution to a problem
>that does not exist. The entire concept was damaged from the original
>tablet releases, and the buying public has moved on to cell phones with
>internet functionality and Audi A4s with two SD card slots.

I see

Well here is the reason I was thinking a tablet PC
might be helpful. Its called MindManager and is "mind
mapping" software to help you with project management

see link

http://tinyurl.com/8ln2u

It comes in a tablet PC version
June 27, 2005 1:04:24 AM

>The trouble is that the pen support on tablet PCs
>falls far short of the best graphics pads such as the Wacom Intuos III.
>Their Cintiq 21UX shows what a tablet PC _could_ be but none of them are.

I see

So do you feel that using a Wacom tablet in conjunction
with a standard laptop or desktop is way better than
buying a specialized tablet PC?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 4:02:20 AM

me@privacy.net wrote:

>>The trouble is that the pen support on tablet PCs
>>falls far short of the best graphics pads such as the Wacom Intuos III.
>>Their Cintiq 21UX shows what a tablet PC _could_ be but none of them are.
>
> I see
>
> So do you feel that using a Wacom tablet in conjunction
> with a standard laptop or desktop is way better than
> buying a specialized tablet PC?

Depends on your needs. The ideal setup would be the 21" Cintiq, but that's
2500 bucks. The other Cintiqs, while pretty good, don't have all the
features of the Intuos III. On the other hand, the Intuos III doesn't have
direct visual feedback, which may mean a good deal of practice before you
develop real proficiency with it--some folks pick it right up, others have
to work at it before the line goes where they want it to.

For convenience the tablet would be preferable--with a separate graphics pad
you can't work with the machine in your lap like you can with a tablet
machine.

So there's no perfect solution. A good tablet machine is about as capable
as one of the lower range Wacom pads, and that's not bad at all, just not
as good as it could be.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2005 12:52:04 PM

I have an Acer C110TCi tablet with a 12" screen. I love it! Here is why. I
use it most of the time in my office connected to a dock which lets me use my
18" LCD, full size keyboard, mouse, 100MB/sec network link, and connected to my
USB devices. Yes, it is slow, about 700MHz, plenty fast for email which is
what I do most.

I use PCRdist to back up my files to my network server and to make copies of
shared space on the server on my tablet. This way my files are backed up and I
have a copy of the network files we all use for when I am not on the network.
It is on a schedule to run daily at noon when I am at lunch, usually takes 5
minutes to sync everything.

I do take the tablet with me to meetings, we do a lot of meetings, so it is
nice to use Journal to jot down notes and stuff, while in tablet mode it is no
thicker that most binders people bring to meetings. I can also have other
programs running to reference information needed at meetings, works well. I
have even passed it around the room to show information as one would pass a
piece of paper.

I take it home every night and use it to read email.

What I like most about it is the size and weight, smaller than a 8.5" x 11"
piece a paper and less than 3 pounds.

The screen is small, so I have to wear my glasses to see the screen, not a bad
trade-off though.

This is my fifth laptop and first/third tablet. I had a Toshiba 14" LCD tablet
but found it too heavy and large to carry around. Also the screen size was too
small to read without glasses and too large to read with glasses (when you get
bifocals you will know :-) ).

Tim Lange
West Lafayette, IN USA
(Go Boilers!)

me@privacy.net wrote:
> If yes..... how you liking it?
>
> Would you never NOT buy another laptop that also isn't
> a tablet PC?
June 27, 2005 1:05:55 PM

>I own an Averatec C3500 Convertible which is a tablet PC

how much did that model cost?

averatec is one brand I'm looking at
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2005 12:30:24 PM

I own an Averatec AV3500 and I'm obssessed with it.

I seriously got it from one of those "freeipod" type sites that as long
as you do one offer and get referrals to complete their offers, they
send you one in the mail.

I think this is the site: http://www.tabletsforzip.com/?r=223

Just thought I'd let you guys know about it if you like the laptop, I'm
pretty sure there are other ones on there too.
!