SLI performance issues (lots of questions!)

cryfreedom66

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Hey everyone,

Recently installed a second gtx 480 in my pc. The performance is good, but not as good as it should be. I ran 3dmark 11 and my score was much lower than comparable systems. I know it should be better as I also saw a video of someone with the exact same processor and sli setup run the heaven benchmark with identical settings and his score was almost 600 more than mine.

I have 2 gtx 480s overclocked to 800/1900

i7-920 overclocked to 3.6 ghz

6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3

875w PSU

Now I know my PSU is alittle low but it seems to be running everything fine. Could my PSU not being higher wattage affect performance?

I ordered this supplimental PSU to run one of the cards and take the load off of the stock PSU...you guys think this will make much of a difference?

Additional questions:

Should I use the supplimental psu to power the 1st or 2nd GPU?

Are there any specific settings in the Nvidia Control Panel that will assist in increasing performance?

I know im asking alot of scattered questions but if someone could take the time to answer them id be very grateful.

Thanks!

cryfreedom66

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

example of what im looking for? spikes/dips anything else specific?

cryfreedom66

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Everything seems fine voltages are constant temps rise consistantly with frame rate but never break 90c no crashes or underclocking idk what the problem could be. It has to be a cpu bottleneck @3.6ghz

johnnyq8

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
i7 9's processors are far away from bottlenecking even in stock speed the bottlenecking is very very low dont worry but you may want to push your cpu to 4.0 GHZ to eleminate any chance of bottlenecking then 3d mark scores dont give you stable scores you may see it now like for example 17000 and in another test you will see it 20000
and for your psu if it was good model like corsair or thermaltake ( tough power ) not the regular then its good you dont want to change it if it was not then you want to go with 1k psu i would go with corsair HX 1000 watt but thermaltake tough power is more powerful than corsair you have a lot of things to select from but i will not go with dual power supply setup it is very complicated and check your nvidia control panel make sure that Sli is turned on download the latest drivers and get some triple monitor setup to take good advantage of your sli setup
good luck