Z77 Extreme9 LED Problem

brads2012

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello everyone,
I am having problems with the Motherboards LED's. They are connected correctly, however when I turn the computer on, what happens is they all light up good and dandy, but as soon as it boots up from my SSD (which has the OS) they immediately turn off like clockwork. They are always on if I were to say stay in the BIOS, so it's not a timed event, it's just as soon as it goes to the Windows loading splash screen, they turn off.

Anyone experience this problem too? I read in the manual that they should only turn off when the computer is off or asleep, so I am really confused =\

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The only LED you want left 'on' is the Power LED, all of the other LEDs during post are on only while they are being polled by the BIOS check. Once you see the Windows GUI then that's the hand-off to Windows.

Now IF you're taking about the Case's Power and (PLED) HDD indicators then that is a problem.

Example on my ASUS Sabertooth X79, there's a series of CPU, DRAM, etc LEDs that go on and off during post -- I'm in trouble if they're still on after posting -- it means something has failed (typically what left on) if they're ON other than the power LED.

Please explain further...?
The only LED you want left 'on' is the Power LED, all of the other LEDs during post are on only while they are being polled by the BIOS check. Once you see the Windows GUI then that's the hand-off to Windows.

Now IF you're taking about the Case's Power and (PLED) HDD indicators then that is a problem.

Example on my ASUS Sabertooth X79, there's a series of CPU, DRAM, etc LEDs that go on and off during post -- I'm in trouble if they're still on after posting -- it means something has failed (typically what left on) if they're ON other than the power LED.

Please explain further...?

Solution

dssamusaran

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
In fact on this mobo there's 'decorative' LED's on the north and south chipset heatsinks.

Like this Asrock logo: http://static.pctreiber.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/z77_extreme9_1.jpg

I've no problem with the power/hdd and 7 segments debuger, only with these 'pretty but useless' LED's

Logically there's no way to control them through drivers so I suppose Win7 and drivers shouldn't interfere... But I've to reinstal Win7 in some days so I'll post here if it resolve the issue =)

(really sorry for my bad english, I just hope you understand what I say ^^' )

brads2012

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello again,
Thank you all for your input.
I played around in the BIOS again just to see if I missed something, and it turns out I did.
In the South Bridge configuration, there is a setting called 'Good Night LED' (misleading I know) and this needs to be disabled. After disabling this, the Mobo LED's will stay on post boot up stage.

Thanks again :)

Reactions: TenderRaspberry