Sign in with
Your question

8 pin ATX and 24 pin ATX

Last response: in Components
September 30, 2011 3:39:38 AM

this is my first pc build....and to be quite honest all these cables are stressing me out....i dont want to burn anything up...i have a asrock p67 extreme 4 mobo and an OCZ 1000 watt PSU..my question is...do i use the 24 pin ATX in conjunction with 8 pin ATX...or do i just use the 24 pin by itself?

More about : pin atx pin atx

September 30, 2011 3:52:58 AM

i have very little knowledge as far as pc building goes ...so any help would be most appreciated
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2011 7:25:32 AM

You use both the 24 pin and the 8 pin at the same time. There are connectors for both of them on the MB.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 30, 2011 7:55:24 AM

You need to use both motherboard connectors. The 24 pin provides power to the board, RAM, expansion cards, any fans connected to the board, etc. The 8 pin connector provides power to the CPU. Your system will not boot if either one of these connectors isn't plugged in.
m
l
September 30, 2011 1:04:30 PM

thanks very much...
m
l
December 29, 2011 12:56:59 AM

Supernova1138 said:
You need to use both motherboard connectors. The 24 pin provides power to the board, RAM, expansion cards, any fans connected to the board, etc. The 8 pin connector provides power to the CPU. Your system will not boot if either one of these connectors isn't plugged in.

I am also putting together my own computer.

I used the 24 pin and the 8 pin connectors from my Coolmax CUG-950B 950 watt PSU. I noticed there are two 8 pin ATX 12V ports on my Gigabyte G1.Assassin mobo. Do you think I need to have 2x 8 pin ATX 12V? My PSU only has the one...

I am still waiting on the Intel Core i7-960 so I can't fire it up until that arrives. I was just curious if anyone knew if I needed 2- 8pin ATX 12V or if one of them will work? I don't plan on overclocking or anything like that.

It read the mobo manual and it didnt explicitly say it needed both it just said you must connect the 8 pin ATX 12V connector from your power supply or your computer will not turn on.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 1:07:03 AM

My guess is they give you two connectors because the hexacores on LGA1366 can be a power hog, and you may go beyond the capabilities of the single 8 pin if you do a sufficiently high overclock. You might be able to get away with the single 8 pin, but I wouldn't try to overclock your CPU in that case. Coolmax PSUs are notorious for their poor quality and for not delivering what they say they can, so I wouldn't encourage you to try using an adapter if you do need the additional connector. If you plan on doing a lot of overclocking, or a high end SLI/Crossfire setup, get a better quality PSU.
m
l
December 29, 2011 1:36:40 AM

Supernova1138 said:
My guess is they give you two connectors because the hexacores on LGA1366 can be a power hog, and you may go beyond the capabilities of the single 8 pin if you do a sufficiently high overclock. You might be able to get away with the single 8 pin, but I wouldn't try to overclock your CPU in that case. Coolmax PSUs are notorious for their poor quality and for not delivering what they say they can, so I wouldn't encourage you to try using an adapter if you do need the additional connector. If you plan on doing a lot of overclocking, or a high end SLI/Crossfire setup, get a better quality PSU.

Thanks for the advice. I have read similar posts about Coolmax not being the best brand and not delivering on their claims. I guess I found the price for a 950 watt PSU too hard to pass up. If it doesn't work out I will probably end up changing out the PSU because everything else I got was fairly high-end. The PSU's with 2 8 pin connectors were pretty pricey maybe the adapter is the answer.

Thanks again.

m
l
!