Tripple Display - NVIDIA 8400 GS - Possible?

Hello,

I currently run 2 x 22" HP monitors (1680 x 1050) off an Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS. The card came with HP entertainment PC that I bought like 3 years ago. This card has one VGA, one DVI and one HDMI output. Currently I have only hooked HDMI and DVI port to my 2 monitors. My question is, can I connect one additional monitor to the spare VGA port on the card? Does Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS support tripple display?

I recently bought a Vizio 37" 370VL 1080p LCD HDTV http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E370VL/13904833?wmlspartner=neQRQBqOKtQ&sourceid=14552725730482799730 to use it as my third monitor (1950*1080) for my home studio. Since the recommended resolution is larger than what my current graphics card can support, I should probably buy a new graphics card. If so, should I go for a new tripple display graphics cards? or just buy an additional graphics card with one output for the third monitor? For either case, please recommened a good one. I dont need any fancy card, I dont play games.

If I buy an additional card with just one output, I am not sure if I will have the flexibility to move the display around using the Nvidia software.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
35 answers Last reply
More about tripple display nvidia 8400 possible
  1. izzyprad said:
    Hello,

    I currently run 2 x 22" HP monitors (1680 x 1050) off an Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS. The card came with HP entertainment PC that I bought like 3 years ago. This card has one VGA, one DVI and one HDMI output. Currently I have only hooked HDMI and DVI port to my 2 monitors. My question is, can I connect one additional monitor to the spare VGA port on the card? Does Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS support tripple display?

    I recently bought a Vizio 37" 370VL 1080p LCD HDTV http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-E370VL/13904833?wmlspartner=neQRQBqOKtQ&sourceid=14552725730482799730 to use it as my third monitor (1950*1080) for my home studio. Since the recommended resolution is larger than what my current graphics card can support, I should probably buy a new graphics card. If so, should I go for a new tripple display graphics cards? or just buy an additional graphics card with one output for the third monitor? For either case, please recommened a good one. I dont need any fancy card, I dont play games.

    If I buy an additional card with just one output, I am not sure if I will have the flexibility to move the display around using the Nvidia software.

    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks


    Nope, while many Nvidia cards have 3 different display outputs, only two can be used at any one time. If you want triple display, you will have to with an ATI/AMD 5 series or better card for now.
  2. So getting an additional card with just one output port work if I want to extend my desktop to the third monitor? Will I still have the flexibility to set the third monitor anywhere I want? like on the right, middle, left from Windows 7?
  3. If your going to get another card anyway just get an ati 5xxx series card, then you can run 3 displays and know its going to work. even a low end one will be fine so long as your not gaming.
  4. The reason I wanted to buy a single output graphics card is because I don't want to spend $100+ for a graphics card. I thought I could buy a cheap $20 graphics card and run my third monitor off of that.

    But, if those ATI 5xxx only costs ~$50, then maybe I don't mind considering it.

    Any recommendation on what model to buy?
  5. If you want us to choose a model, you have to give us your system specs. Your CPU, GPU (we already know), PSU ?

    HD 5450
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=HD+5450&x=0&y=0

    HD 5570
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=HD+5570&x=0&y=0

    The HD 5570 is would be better, but you should first provide the specifications.
  6. My specs:

    >Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (Oc'd to 4.5 Ghz)
    >Asus P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
    >G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 >Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92
    >Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate


    So the HD 5450 can support 3 monitors? Hmm..my current graphics card has similar output ports as HD 5450, so I thought they could only support 2 monitors.
  7. http://superuser.com/questions/110328/does-the-radeon-hd-5450-support-three-displays

    What do you plan on for this ? You have a nice build there.
    Sorry, but looks like the HD 5450 isn't enough to do a 3 monitor support.
  8. hmm...confused.
  9. Also I would like to say, if you are going for gaming, then neither the HD 5450 or HD 5570 would be enough for a 3 monitor setup. You should at least get a HD 5770, which is quite good, and can run a 3 monitor setup swiftly.
  10. I dont play games, so 5770 would be enough?
  11. izzyprad said:
    I dont play games, so 5770 would be enough?


    HD 5770 is a good one, but if you are not going for gaming then go for a HD 5570 or even a HD 5670.

    HD 5670
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=HD+5670&x=0&y=0

    HD 5570
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hd+5570&x=0&y=0

    What do you plan to do ? Watch movies ?
  12. Thanks.

    No, I need it for my home recording studio.
  13. I guess, my main question is - most of the HD 5570 that you listed above have
    1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 1 x VGA port. I have heard that in order to connect 3 monitor's from the same video card, I need to have atleast 2 x HDMI or 2 x DVI (not sure why). So I wan't sure if this is the case with HD 5570.

    My current Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS also has similar output port, so shouldn't I be able to connect 3 monitors to my current graphics cards, or is it like...Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS is not designed to support 3 monitors?
  14. izzyprad said:
    I guess, my main question is - most of the HD 5570 that you listed above have
    1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI and 1 x VGA port. I have heard that in order to connect 3 monitor's from the same video card, I need to have atleast 2 x HDMI or 2 x DVI (not sure why). So I wan't sure if this is the case with HD 5570.

    My current Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS also has similar output port, so shouldn't I be able to connect 3 monitors to my current graphics cards, or is it like...Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS is not designed to support 3 monitors?


    Yes, nvidia cards, like the 8400 gs is not made to support 3 monitors. Mostly the ATI\Amd cards are ( especially the HD 5xxx series ).
    ATI cards does a better job when handling with multiple monitors that nVIDIA does.
  15. For ATI cards you need a card that either has Display Port, or a Sapphire Flex card with a DP adapter built in. This 5570 would suite your needs

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102875

    You would also need an ACTIVE display port adapter. Like this one

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030&cm_re=Active_Display_Port-_-14-999-030-_-Product
  16. Just don't try to game across 3 monitors with that lowly 5570 and expect it to preform reasonably. If you want to do any gaming you need to look at a 5770 at the least
  17. megamanx00 said:
    For ATI cards you need a card that either has Display Port, or a Sapphire Flex card with a DP adapter built in. This 5570 would suite your needs

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102875

    You would also need an ACTIVE display port adapter. Like this one

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030&cm_re=Active_Display_Port-_-14-999-030-_-Product



    ahhh.....I guess that's what people were talking about. That probably answers my question.

    So if I dont want to spend any extra money on any connector/adapter, then I need to buy "Sapphire Flex card with a DP adapter built in", corre

    I didnt see any saphire flex card with DP adapter built it in Newegg.

    Can any one post a link?
  18. Anyone?
  19. Ok, my friend said he has an extra"GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCIe x16" lyring around. Can I add this card to my PC, in addition to my existing "Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS" card to run three monitors? I dont really play games, so I dont want to spend $80 for a video card.

    Can I do this?

    My old card:
    Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS - > 2 x HP 2207

    With my friend's card:
    GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCIe x16 - > Vizio 37" HDTV

    >Will this work? or will I run into some kind of issue?

    >Also how much of flexibility will have to set up the order of the screen. Like 1,2,3 - 2,1,3 - 3,1,2

    I would really appreciate your help!
  20. If you have an extra PCIe x16 slot it will work fine, and you can swap displays any way you want in the Nvidia control panel. Thats a killer rig to be running such crappy old video cards though ;)
  21. Thanks guys for all your help.

    I got the new monitor (37" Vizio 370VL) and the graphics card (additional Galaxy Ge-force 8400 GS) over the weekend. Everything worked fine as you guys has recommended.

    So,
    xx Ge-force 8400 GS (256 mb) - 2 x HP 2207 (1680 x 1050)
    Galaxy Ge-force 8400 GS (512 mb) - 37" Vizio 370VL (1960 x 1080)


    But now I run into another problem, i.e. when I play a track (piano roll) in my recording software (Fruity loops), the play meter/bar starts moving as normal, but there is a visual lag (200 - 500 ms) compared to the audio. The audio would play first then the play meter would cross the played note after 200-500ms. If I move this window to my HP monitor it aligns perfectly, but when I move the window to Vizio, I face this problem.

    Could this be a problem with the Graphics card?
  22. Anyone? Please.
  23. This will work just fine so long that you have two 16x pci-e slots or an 4x or 8x that can accommodate a 16x card without blocking or tab.

    Here for extra doom and gloom.

    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/04/22/fukushima-2000-atomic-bombs/
  24. See if your TV has a "GAME" mode and set it to that, your problem is likely input lag with the TV and has nothing to do with the video cards.
  25. benski said:
    See if your TV has a "GAME" mode and set it to that, your problem is likely input lag with the TV and has nothing to do with the video cards.



    Hmm interesting. Didnt know that!

    I know Vizio 370VL has a game mode, along with these modes, movie, picture, golf, basketball, etc. I thought they were for picture quality only.

    Or is this totally different that what you have mentioned above?

    I will try when I get home.
  26. Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about.
  27. Ok tried changing to Game mode, but it didnt work. Looks like those modes were for picture quality only.

    However, the visual lag decreased when I reduced the no. of instances/windows that were being displayed. I am starting to think, if this is because of the graphics card not being able to keep up with the refresh rate.
  28. I think I will go with tthis card.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102920

    It says it requires 400 watt power supply. I have a 650 Watt powersupply, which runs i7 2600 Oc'ed to 4.5Ghz, 3 Hard drives , 8 GB ram, A TV card, and sound card and a another audio interface through firewire. Do you think I should be good?
  29. It'll work great. You could even pull off a few games.
  30. After a week of having ATI HD 5670 card, I have to say my old Nvidia was much better than the ATI. Like I mentioned before I dont play games, but ATI's color was awful when watching movies. Also, screen flickers once in a while, sometimes freezes.

    So going back to Nvidia.
  31. ^That could have been the problem with the card you bought from there. Why not ask them and replace it with a new one. The ATI 5670 is much better than a 8400gs, no doubt about it.
  32. I have heard about screen flicker problems a lot from other HD5670. So I am sure that's not the problem with my card only.

    But the graphics quality was tad better on Nvidia.
  33. That's true, but it looks like it happens on triple monitors. I think.
  34. It happened on dual monitor as well.
  35. izzyprad said:
    Ok, my friend said he has an extra"GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCIe x16" lyring around. Can I add this card to my PC, in addition to my existing "Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS" card to run three monitors? I dont really play games, so I dont want to spend $80 for a video card.

    Can I do this?

    My old card:
    Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS - > 2 x HP 2207

    With my friend's card:
    GeForce 8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCIe x16 - > Vizio 37" HDTV

    >Will this work? or will I run into some kind of issue?

    >Also how much of flexibility will have to set up the order of the screen. Like 1,2,3 - 2,1,3 - 3,1,2

    I would really appreciate your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Nvidia Monitors Graphics Product Displays