40-50 on liquid cooled

ashlambert0

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Hi guys!

I just bought a PC from IBP and the idle temp is 40-50C

CPU: 2600k
Cooler: Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel)
Case: NZXT Phantom Full tower.
Thermal paste : tuniq Tx 2
Is this normal? It's not even overclock :pt1cable:

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Those idle temps, for a cooler like that, are quite high. Especially for that CPU. I have a Phenom II x4 955 OC @ 3.8GHz, and it idles at 32 degrees (with 21 degree room temp) with a Corsair Hydro H70 (which is very similar). With that CPU, because it does run A LOT cooler out of the box than any other processor on the market, there is likely something wrong.

I think it may be that your thermal paste may not have been applied properly, or that the pump/reservoir/baseplate is not mounted properly on the CPU. I'd first check the pump is properly mounted (all the screws are in place, tightened, etc.) and that all the cables are plugged in to where they should be (fan into CPU fan spot on board, pump in one of the case fan spots on the board, etc). If all of that checks out, I'd recommend taking the pump off, and replacing the thermal paste.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
you cooling isnt really a wc setup. IMO, its more of a play of words with some hardware. some air coolers actually do better. but yes, your idle temps look off. did you put the tx-2 on yourself? is there anything obstructing radiator/ case fans? is the built in pump making funny noise? are you case fans oriented to have pos. air pressure inside the case? a lot of variables here.

ashlambert0

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I'm really an idiot when it comes to PC.. but I did check on it if everything looks ok and it seems like it at least to me. There was no weired noise, in fact everythings seems to be running smooth.

So do you think reapplying the paste would help? Or would adding a 200MM fan at the side panel of the case would bring it down? Because as much as possible I don't want to mess with it.

Thanks!

ashlambert0

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

Ambient temp is 75 F.

Using it primarily for trading workstation, gaming is just a bonus.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
That's like 24-26C ish. So yeah 40-50C @ Idle is too high. And no adding another case fan won't likely help your CPU because the fans for the radiator are mounted to the case.

But hey, good news. You didn't build your PC, you bought it. Therefore it's not your problem. Best thing to do is RMA it to have the pro's that assembled it look at it.

But my guess is they will say 40C is under the max temp therefore it is performing as designed. Which is BS, but well that's why we don't trust companies like IBP.

ashlambert0

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011

That's the usual BS I'm expecting from them... I should have tried building it for myself, at least I'd learn something. But anyways, besides the RMA, what do you guys suggest?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I'd suggest removing the HSF(Liquid Cooler) completely, and re-install it with some inexpensive but quality Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Then make sure it's set to stock speed and voltage.

If it's still too high I'd buy a new HSF. Like a NH-D14 :)